Windows 10: I cannot access automatic restore points (I think they're created)

Discus and support I cannot access automatic restore points (I think they're created) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have my Task Scheduler set to create automatic Windows restore points every other day. According to the history log, they are created. However,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by NotATenFan, Jul 27, 2016.

1. I cannot access automatic restore points (I think they're created)

I have my Task Scheduler set to create automatic Windows restore points every other day. According to the history log, they are created.

However, they are created under the user "System" and not my account or "Administrators." So, I couldn't access a recent restore point, which I might need to make things run the way I want. I'm having Windows create the restore points so I can access them!

However, it won't create them under my account because I don't have or want a password "Blank passwords are not allowed." I don't want a hassle on startup and God forbid I'd forget the password, so I won't create them. Does that mean that I'm wasting time having SR create the restore points that I think are important for me, and that I might need right now to get my system to run really as it should? Is there a way for me to get those restore points such that I can access them with no password?

:)

NotATenFan, Jul 27, 2016
  2. BossDweeb Win User

I cannot create a system restore point

You have to use C:\ for a Windows System Restore.

Each drive can be setup for restoring that drive, but a restore point cannot be saved to another drive.

Windows System Restore is capable of monitoring anything installed to your Windows OS, even on other

partitions/drives, but your D:\ has another OS installed, so this may be why you cannot create a restore point there.

I've never used a Linux Distro, but I would expect that you need to use Ubuntu's system protection on that drive.

BossDweeb, Jul 27, 2016
  3. I cannot create a system restore point

I want to create a system restore point to restore my previous system configuration if I'll have any trouble with any program I will install in the future. My pc has two internal drives: C, where Windows is installed, and D, where Ubuntu and most of programs
    are installed and all media are stored.

I want to create it on my second internal drive (D),

I'm on the property manager now and I cannot select "create a system restore point" -

I cannot access automatic restore points (I think they're created) [​IMG]
    >

When I go to "configure" I cannot select the "Activate system protection" ->

I cannot access automatic restore points (I think they're created) [​IMG]

How can I do for creating a system restore point?

Thanks.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Robertalrp, Jul 27, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

I cannot access automatic restore points (I think they're created)

You do not need a password to create a system restore point. I just tried it. I have a test laptop with 10 Pro that the user account does not have a password associated with the account or to login.
    Go to Start/Search and type System Restore, choose Create a System Restore point.
    Also, be aware that everytime you install a software program, Windows automatically creates a Restore Point. If you haven't made any changes to your computer, (ie) installed software etc, there is no need to create a System Restore Point. Also,Remember, that any personal files, like documents, music, pictures, Emails etc do not get backed up when creating a System Restore point.

spunk, Jul 27, 2016
  5. Hello,

This may or may not help you with your issue.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...m-startup.html
    Be sure to have a look at Method Two to see the steps to use the Windows Task Scheduler to automatically create System Restore points, once the task is created there is nothing further to do, there will always be daily, fresh System Restore points available for use if needed, even if the PC is never restarted at all.

Related Tutorial:
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...e-windows.html

John

AmericanPharaoh, Jul 27, 2016
  6. I've never been able to get those routines to work under windows 10. It runs everyday at startup, finishes with completion code of 0x0, and has an end time, but there is never a new restore point. It worked fine for me under Win 7, but never worked on Win 8.1 or 10.

I finally did the manual one that you can find here in tutorials. It sits on my desktop and I run it everyday when I bring the system up.

From what I know, the password is needed to create a NEW Task in taskmanger. When I first set the Sevenforums scripts on my old Win 7 machine, I didn't have a password set on that system. It wouldn't all me to create the task until I created one.

storageman, Jul 27, 2016
  7. I know I can manually create System Restore points. What I want is for the Task Scheduler to create them automatically every other day. According to the history, it is actually creating them-- but when I go into System Restore they don't show up. Only those created due to specific actions show up. If I manually created them they likely also would show up.

I think the problem is that it is running System Restore as "System" from the Task Scheduler, so I don't "own" the restore points. But I can't make it run System Restore as me because "blank passwords are not allowed."

NotATenFan, Jul 28, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

I'm wondering if you've tried to use the built-in scheduled task that superficially looks as if it should be capable of being used to create a restore point. That doesn't work.

What does is to create a new scheduled task to launch a free downloadable script that creates a restore point.

More here:
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/cr...-8-7-vista-xp/

dalchina, Jul 29, 2016
  9. I'm about to check out the link, but yes I was using the built in scheduled task that, as you say, looks like it creates a restore point. So, if that just doesn't work, that would explain my problem very well. Hopefully the link will tell me what I actually need to do.

NotATenFan, Jul 29, 2016
  10. Just an update: I followed the link, did what it said, and it's working. Thanks!

NotATenFan, Aug 7, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Great.. but note you shouldn't rely only on restore points as I'm sure you know.

If you haven't started to use disk imaging yet, try Macrium Reflect (free) e.g. + its boot medium + external storage. Comprehensive backup + can restore your PC even if the hard disk fails. Often recommended here.

dalchina, Aug 7, 2016
  12. I know that it's best to have external backup, but unless everything involved with this program (not just the program itself) is free, my budget doesn't permit me to spend on it.

I just got this computer a little over a month ago. The last one was very slow with modern software due to its age, but the disk lasted for 8+ years becoming very slow to access but not crashing, by my taking the advice I got long ago of not shutting down or rebooting the computer except when absolutely necessary. I'd even have it just go into "sleep" mode (not turned off) when I went on vacation.

I'm not saying my disk can't crash anyway. I know that's always a risk. I just may not be able to afford to protect against that risk. I'll have to see what Macrium can do for me for free. I, of course, can back up a few key files on Microsoft's free cloud storage, limited as the space is. Maybe when I stop typing this and go into the program that I think has installed as I type, I'll find a free way to have an external backup.

If not, I'll be stuck with no backup beyond restore points until I can afford to actually remedy the situation.

NotATenFan, Aug 7, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Even simply backing up your data means you need external storage. Question is- how much time are you prepared to waste next time your PC is unbootable/your hard disk fails/ you have some technical problem you can't solve?

dalchina, Aug 7, 2016
  14. It's as simple as whether I have the money available. I guess the program can save an image to a DVD. I can buy a blank DVD. That's about all I can do.

I went for years with my computer way too slow because I couldn't afford the new one I now have. It's a matter of having the cash or not.

I don't want to be without external backup. While I believe hard disk failures could be much less common if people would avoid turning off their computer and sending the shock through the hard disk each time it starts, I also realize the risk always is there no matter what.

Right now, I can through System Restore (and the program you recommended will be making its own system-area backups) recover from a software error within the system, but I'm in very deep crap if my hard drive dies. I don't want it to be that way, and when it's financially possible I'll look for a way to solve it, but outside of getting a blank DVD as an external image device there's nothing more I can afford to protect myself. I'm not saying that's a good thing; it's just the reality.

NotATenFan, Aug 7, 2016
  15. System Restore gets you out of the small problems of restarting you PC before the event that caused it to malfunction. Only a clearly defined backup/recovery plan that is executed will allow you to recover your PC from any DISASTER !

storageman, Aug 8, 2016
Thema:

1. I cannot access automatic restore points (I think they're created) - Similar Threads - cannot access automatic

2. I cannot create restore point!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I cannot create restore point!: Hello, I have a question! When i try to create restore point, first it shows and error 0x81000203 and after that in System properties / System Protection i cannot create restore point and it cannot find any available drivers! Pls help!...
  3. Windows not creating restore points automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not creating restore points automatically: Hi,I just tried restoring my system from a restore point. System Restore said I had no restore points, even though Protection Settings were turned on for my C: drive. I looked in Task Scheduler and the SystemRestore task shows up as Ready. I was able to create restore point...
  4. Windows not creating restore points automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not creating restore points automatically: Hi,I just tried restoring my system from a restore point. System Restore said I had no restore points, even though Protection Settings were turned on for my C: drive. I looked in Task Scheduler and the SystemRestore task shows up as Ready. I was able to create restore point...
  5. Windows not creating restore points automatically

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Cannot create restore point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cannot create restore point: I have not noticed anything unusual in my PC (Win 10 Pro 64), but for some reason I can no longer create a restore point. I am a senior, non-techie, and have no idea what this behavior means or how to deal with it. Could someone help, please? 176193
  7. Cannot create a system restore point

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot create a system restore point: When i was trying to create a system restore point, it failed and a message poped up saying, "the writer experienced a non-transient error. If tried again the error may reoccur". I've tried sfc command. It says some corrupt file found but cannot fix it... What are the causes...
  8. Cannot create restore points

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot create restore points: Hi, I am no longer able to create restore points in Windows 10. I receive the message "The restore point could not be created for the following reason: Access is denied (0x80070005)." This seems to have started with the January 2019 update. Can anybody help? Thanks,...
  9. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...
  10. No Automatic Restore Points Created

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    No Automatic Restore Points Created: I have a clean install of Win 10. Despite receiving several cumulative updates from Microsoft over the past several days, no automatic restore points have been created. System Restore is set to "On" for drive C: so that is not the issue. I can create manual restore points...