Windows 10: I cannot access files on my desktop

Discus and support I cannot access files on my desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I cannot access files on my desktop wth the usual double click. I find that I can fiddle about and get access by right click and using the second... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GlenCrighton, Jan 10, 2020.

1. I cannot access files on my desktop

I cannot access files on my desktop wth the usual double click. I find that I can fiddle about and get access by right click and using the second "open" option, but this is a real pain in the butt. I believe this to have been caused by an update.

I also had great difficulty opening Excel files, but after spending many hours, I managed to fix this myself.

I seem to spend half my life fixing **** on computers.

Please tell me how to get my desktop files back to where they were

THERE ARE NO SECTIONS OPEN IN THIS NOTEBOOK OR SECTION GROUP. this is what I get when I left click on a file

Thanks

Glen.

:)

GlenCrighton, Jan 10, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jan 10, 2020
  3. karyeowl Win User
    Laptops cannot access desktops via WIFI

I have 3 desktops (all on Windows 10 1803) connected on my LAN. After following this forum for some times and did all the steps as suggested by forum member, access denied, all my desktops are able to view and access one another. I have a printer connected to PC1, and managed to connect all the other 2 PCs to have the shared printer.

I also have 2 more laptops (both Asus with the same Windows 10 1803) connected via WIFI. Performed all the same steps as per the desktops, but I was not able to access PC1. I was able to view all the 3 desktops from the file explorer, but I just can't access all the desktops. However, I was able to access the Asus laptops from desktop PC1.

Anyone able to assist on this matter? Any assistance is highly appreciated.

karyeowl, Jan 10, 2020
  4. I cannot access files on my desktop

Quick Access bar

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty.

Remove items from Quick access.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Right click on the file or folder.
    • Select the option “unpin from the quick access”

To pin items to an item already on the quick access bar.

Follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to create folder in the desktop screen & place all the files or folder which need to pin to the quick access.

• Open the quick access.
    • Select the Desktop option.
    • Right click on the folder & select the option “pin to quick access”

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

I cannot access files on my desktop

1. I cannot access files on my desktop - Similar Threads - cannot access files

2. Cannot access account on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access account on desktop: I was recently notified that someone had accessed my account in Russia, so tried to change my password. I was told I needed a code via text, but my number supplied is a land line, and texts do not go through. So I tried to change it to my mobile phone number, but was told it...
  3. Cannot access account on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot access account on desktop: I was recently notified that someone had accessed my account in Russia, so tried to change my password. I was told I needed a code via text, but my number supplied is a land line, and texts do not go through. So I tried to change it to my mobile phone number, but was told it...
  4. Cannot access account on desktop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Cannot access remote desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access remote desktop: Hi there,I bought a desktop computer with win11 pro installed. I have enabled the remote desktop connection on this device. However, I tried to connect to this desktop with my win10 computer. After typing the computer name, an error message prompt that "it cannot find the...
  6. Cannot access remote desktop

Cannot access remote desktop: Hi there,I bought a desktop computer with win11 pro installed. I have enabled the remote desktop connection on this device. However, I tried to connect to this desktop with my win10 computer. After typing the computer name, an error message prompt that "it cannot find the...
  7. I cannot access my old word files

I cannot access my old word files: I have a new MacBook Pro 2022. My old Macbook Pro 2014 had Microsoft for Mac installed and I used quite a bit Word. Unfortunately I was misguided by Apple Support, I download "supposedly" all my computer into an outside drive, erased with their assistance my entire old...
  8. I cannot access my old word files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot access my old word files: I have a new MacBook Pro 2022. My old Macbook Pro 2014 had Microsoft for Mac installed and I used quite a bit Word. Unfortunately I was misguided by Apple Support, I download "supposedly" all my computer into an outside drive, erased with their assistance my entire old...
  9. Windows cannot access \\Desktop....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows cannot access \\Desktop....: I installed a new drive through a usb port. I went into properties and set up shared access like all my other shared drives. Except I cannot access it through my other computers like I can with other drives on that computer. I get the "windows cannot access \\...you do not...
  10. Cannot access photo files on your Dell Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot access photo files on your Dell Desktop: Have previously been able to access photo files, but not able to now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-access-photo-files-on-your-dell-desktop/d94be20d-5828-41ff-a130-a8099255432b