Windows 10: I cannot access the settings for the Start menu

Discus and support I cannot access the settings for the Start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, This is pretty straightforward: I cannot access the settings for the start menu. When I do a right click on the task bar and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sjalsfrander, Feb 13, 2016.

1. I cannot access the settings for the Start menu

Hello everyone,

This is pretty straightforward: I cannot access the settings for the start menu. When I do a right click on the task bar and then click on "properties", I should have a "Start menu" tab in the window. The problem is : I don't have that tab.

Also, I don't have the possibility to pin apps to the start menu, this is a bit annoying.

Do you guys have any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks a lot,
    sj.

:)

sjalsfrander, Feb 13, 2016

2. I cannot access the Start Menu

Hi Brain,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are glad to help you.

Try the following methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

Follow the below steps and check:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task.
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”.
    • Type CMD.
    • Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

6. Close the CMD window.

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue persists.

Refer to the following Microsoft article on Create a user account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Feb 13, 2016
  3. I cannot access the Start Menu

Original Title: Windows 10 Problems

I installed Win10 from Win7 about 2 weeks ago. For the first 10 days it was running flawlessly. No issues at all. Over this past weekend (29 AUG 2015) the system updated, and now I cannot access the Start Menu. Either by the Win button, or the start menu
    icon. Additionally all my programs that were on the Task Bar are no longer present. I can however access and run most programs via the run box.

There was a message about Cortana. I do not remember the verbage, but it indicated an issue with Cortana and would need to restart when Cortana became available.

I have tried everything. I cannot go back to a restore point, nor can I revert back to Win7. I can access programs via the run box. When I right click on the start menu icon on the desktop, and go to the control panel it does not look like Windows10, it
    has the format of Win 7.

Please someone help. I have a Sony Vaio VPCF126FM Laptop, Intel I7 processor. This is our main system and cannot loose it.

Thanks in advance!

BrianMcCroskey, Feb 13, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

I cannot access the settings for the Start menu

.....................I cannot access the settings for the start menu.........................

Have you tried LEFT click at the Start button ?

..................When I do a right click on the task bar and then click on "properties", I should have a "Start menu" tab in the window. The problem is : I don't have that tab..............................

You don't because it is no longer there in Windows 10. MS has taken that out in Windows 10.

......................I don't have the possibility to pin apps to the start menu, this is a bit annoying..................

If your left click at Start button and it leads you to Start Menu screen, then you will be able to pin anything.

davidhk, Feb 13, 2016
Thema:

I cannot access the settings for the Start menu

1. I cannot access the settings for the Start menu - Similar Threads - cannot access settings

2. Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer: I am not able to type anything in the start menu search, search box in the settings app and the search bar in the file explorer. screenshots attachedIt was all working fine till yesterday. I tried to install the Amazon app store, and during that, it installed subsystem for...
  3. Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer: I am not able to type anything in the start menu search, search box in the settings app and the search bar in the file explorer. screenshots attachedIt was all working fine till yesterday. I tried to install the Amazon app store, and during that, it installed subsystem for...
  4. Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work: The past few weeks, I cannot click on the windows start menu, I cannot get into settings or any windows functions. I have endlessy looked up videos/tips/tricks and NOTHING works- everything that is suggested to try, I can't because I cannot get into the Windows settings to...
  5. Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work

Cannot get Start Menu . Settings to work: The past few weeks, I cannot click on the windows start menu, I cannot get into settings or any windows functions. I have endlessy looked up videos/tips/tricks and NOTHING works- everything that is suggested to try, I can't because I cannot get into the Windows settings to...
  6. Cannot access Start Menu, Search, or Settings, not able sign in to Microsoft edge in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access Start Menu, Search, or Settings, not able sign in to Microsoft edge in...: I have recently updated my laptop ,as soon as it was restarted all my files were missing i lost all my data.1 Search bar and start menu is unresponsive.2 Setting are not responding through any shortcuts.3 If i shutdown my laptop and then start it i am losing all my data.4Not...
  7. Cannot access Start Menu, Search, or Settings, not able sign in to Microsoft edge in...

Cannot access Start Menu, Search, or Settings, not able sign in to Microsoft edge in...: I have recently updated my laptop ,as soon as it was restarted all my files were missing i lost all my data.1 Search bar and start menu is unresponsive.2 Setting are not responding through any shortcuts.3 If i shutdown my laptop and then start it i am losing all my data.4Not...
  8. Cannot access Start Menu, Search, or Settings, not able sign in to Microsoft edge in...

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Cannot access search bar in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot access search bar in start menu: I cannot access the search bar in the start menu. Additionally, the multiple desktops icon on the taskbar is no longer available. This bug started yesterday, updating and restarting did not fix it. I would go to the searchbar, type in "microsoft feedback", and download the...
  10. I cannot open start menu and all the setting menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I cannot open start menu and all the setting menu: It seems that all the setting menu crashed after I reset my computer. I clicked the button on the task bar, for instance, Cortana and start, and did not received any response. Nothing was displayed on the screen....