Windows 10: i cannot add myself as an administrator and cant make changes to my device

Discus and support i cannot add myself as an administrator and cant make changes to my device in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; There is no "account" or "accounts" or "family accounts" tab in the settings menu for me to make the changes prescribed by online help pages.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Ernest Crunkleton, Nov 9, 2022.

1. i cannot add myself as an administrator and cant make changes to my device

There is no "account" or "accounts" or "family accounts" tab in the settings menu for me to make the changes prescribed by online help pages.

:)

Ernest Crunkleton, Nov 9, 2022

2. Error: "You need administrator privileges to make the changes" on Windows 10

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about administrator privileges to your user account. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• How exactly have you tried to change the user account to administrator?
    • Have you logged in as an administrator using Microsoft account on your device?
    • Have you enabled Built-in administrator account?

Try the below steps if not yet tried and check if it helps.

I suggest you to check the user account and their types on your device.

• Press Windows + R key together on your desktop screen.
    • Type netplwiz and hit
      Enter.
    • Check if there are any other user accounts on your device as an administrator.

Step 1: If you have an account with administrative privileges login through that account and try the following steps to change the user account type:

• Press Windows + R keys from the Keyboard.
    • Type netplwiz and click on Ok.
    • Click on the Users tab.
    • Under Users of this computer: select the account you want to change.
    • Click on Properties button.
    • Select Group Membership tab and select the type of user account.
    • Click on Apply and Ok.

Step 2: If you are a local user, I suggest you to convert the local account to Microsoft account and check if it helps.

Follow:

• Make sure you are device is connected to internet.
    • Click Start and then Settings.
    • Click Accounts and click on
      Sign in with a Microsoft account instead
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 9, 2022
  3. changing administrator

Hi,

Share this information to assist you better.

• What are the steps you have tried to change the Admin rights?
    • How many accounts have you configured in your computer?
    Try the below steps if you have not tried:

• Open Control Panel (Move the cursor to the lower/left corner of the screen and
      Right Click, select Control Panel on the menu.
    • In Control Panel, select User Accounts.
    • Select Manage another account.

This will show all of the user accounts on the computer. If there is an Administrator account it will show that designation.

• Sign Out and log on with any Administrator Account.
    • Go back to Control Panel/User Accounts.
    • Select Manage another account and then select the Standard account you wish to change.
    • Select the Change Account Type option.
    • Select the Administrator option to change the account and click the
      Change Account Type button.
    If there are no other Administrator Accounts, let us know and we can try another recovery method.

Let us know what you find.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Nov 9, 2022
  4. i cannot add myself as an administrator and cant make changes to my device

how to change administrator on my computer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

As I understand that your administrator account has been changed to another account as administrator. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the account settings as administrator and check if it helps.

1. In the search type as “user accounts”.

2. Click on “change your account types”.

3. All the user accounts will be listed there, under your account you can select as administrator.

4. The account will be changed to administrator.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Nov 9, 2022
Thema:

i cannot add myself as an administrator and cant make changes to my device

1. i cannot add myself as an administrator and cant make changes to my device - Similar Threads - cannot add myself

2. how do I make myself administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I make myself administrator: when i reinstalled windows a random account called administrator came up and i tried to log into it wit my password and it didnt work so i add to create a non administrator account and now i need to know how to change myself to one, when i got in control panel to try do it,...
  3. how do I make myself administrator

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how do I make myself administrator: when i reinstalled windows a random account called administrator came up and i tried to log into it wit my password and it didnt work so i add to create a non administrator account and now i need to know how to change myself to one, when i got in control panel to try do it,...
  4. How do I make myself an administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make myself an administrator: Hi Microsoft community I am interested in knowing how I put myself on administrator as My school put me on standard accountAny answers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-myself-an-administrator/cc95897d-c306-436a-a15d-4750881f8199
  5. How do I make myself an administrator

How do I make myself an administrator: Hi Microsoft community I am interested in knowing how I put myself on administrator as My school put me on standard accountAny answers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-myself-an-administrator/cc95897d-c306-436a-a15d-4750881f8199
  6. How do I make myself an administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. i cannot add myself as an administrator and cant make changes to my device

i cannot add myself as an administrator and cant make changes to my device: There is no "account" or "accounts" or "family accounts" tab in the settings menu for me to make the changes prescribed by online help pages....
  8. i need to make myself an administrator

i need to make myself an administrator: Hi i was trying to remove my password from my pc beacuse i was annoyed from the password so i opened netplwiz and selected my account my only account to be standard user and now when ever i try to open netplwiz to change that i can't it says that i need to enter user name and...
  9. How do I make myself the administrator

How do I make myself the administrator: I need to run m a script that automatically open the command prompt but does not run as it tells me that I need to contact the administrator. I am the only user and it is my personal laptop. How to I make myself the administrator so that this script will run? The script is...
  10. How do I make myself an Administrator?

How do I make myself an Administrator?: I am the only one who uses my laptop and I am trying to copy files over from my laptop to an external hard drive to migrate over to a new computer but when I move certain files I get an error message that I have to be an administrator. I've had this computer for years and...