Windows 10: I cannot boot up my windows and I can't do anything without a bitlocker key

Discus and support I cannot boot up my windows and I can't do anything without a bitlocker key in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I did something to my Win10 and now it won't boot up, BSOD comes up and then it directs to advanced options where I can't really do anything except... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Erso Kolo, May 19, 2021.

1. Erso Kolo Win User

I cannot boot up my windows and I can't do anything without a bitlocker key

So I did something to my Win10 and now it won't boot up, BSOD comes up and then it directs to advanced options where I can't really do anything except using Command Prompt because I do not have the Bitlocker key. So I need a Bitlocker key. I do not have Bitlocker on my account or in USB or anywhere really. So I need a Bitlocker key because I don't wan't to lose my files.

:)

Erso Kolo, May 19, 2021
  2. Xylee Del Win User
    Xylee Del, May 19, 2021
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Can't locate the bitlocker key

Hi Chris,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community forums.

I understand that it can be difficult when your own computer is inaccessible due to some changes that could have happened. However, let's try a few troubleshooting steps and see if we can access the drive.

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?
    • Did you setup a BitLocker on your device before?

If you’ve not setup the BitLocker and it’s still prompting for the key, you may try to locate the BitLocker key on your Microsoft account, which will help you access the drive. Refer

Find my BitLocker recovery key
    to know how to find the BitLocker recovery key.

If no recovery key is found, you may enable the secure boot setting from BIOS and check if you can access the drive. Follow the steps listed below to enable
    secure boot.

• Power off the device and then power it on.
    • Look for a message on the boot screen just before or after the manufacturer logo appears. You may need to press the
      ‘F1’,’F2’, or
      ‘Delete’
      button, whatever key is indicated on the boot screen to enter BIOS Settings.
    • Within BIOS, choose the tab ‘BOOT’.
    Note:
    Depending on the BIOS manufacturer this page could be
    BOOT, ADVANCED, STARTUP etc.

• Look for a setting called
      ‘UEFI Secure Boot’
      and toggle the Secure Boot setting to
      ‘Enabled’.

Note:
    Each BIOS could have a different name for
    UEFI Secure Boot.
    These are the keywords to look for:
    ‘UEFI’, ‘Secure Boot’,‘Legacy Boot’.

• Restart the machine now to see if you can access the drive.

Note:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the
    configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If you still can’t access the drive, I suggest you to post your query in the

TechNet forums
    . Our support professionals, equipped with knowledge on BitLocker, will help you further.

Regards,

Junaid_A, May 19, 2021
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Prompt for BitLocker key

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community forums.

I understand that it can be difficult when your own computer is inaccessible due to some changes that could have happened. However, let's try a few troubleshooting steps and see if we can access the drive.

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?
    • Did you setup a BitLocker on your device before?

If you’ve not setup the BitLocker and it’s still prompting for the key,
    you may try to locate the BitLocker key on your Microsoft account, which will help you access the drive. Refer
    Find my BitLocker recovery key to
    know how to find the BitLocker recovery key.

If no recovery key is found, you may enable the secure boot setting from BIOS and check if you can access the drive.

• Power off the device and then power it on.
    • Look for a message on the boot screen just before or after the manufacturer logo appears. You may need to press the
      ‘F1’,’F2’, or
      ‘Delete’button, whatever key is indicated on the boot screen to enter BIOS Settings.
    • Within BIOS, choose the tab ‘BOOT’.
    Note: Depending on the BIOS manufacturer this page could be
    BOOT, ADVANCED, STARTUP etc.

• Look for a setting called
      ‘UEFI Secure Boot’ and toggle the Secure Boot setting to
      ‘Enabled’.
    Note: Each BIOS could have a different name for
    UEFI Secure Boot. These are the keywords to look for:
    ‘UEFI’, ‘Secure Boot’,‘Legacy Boot’.

• Restart the machine now to see if you can access the drive.

Note:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting
    from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Regards,

Junaid_A, May 19, 2021
Thema:

1. I cannot boot up my windows and I can't do anything without a bitlocker key - Similar Threads - cannot boot can't

2. How to unlock BitLocker without BitLocker key, I haven't backed up the key anywhere.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to unlock BitLocker without BitLocker key, I haven't backed up the key anywhere.: I turned on BitLocker and simultaneously updated the bios.When the laptop restarted, I got the BitLocker recovery screen and now I don't have the recovery key for the BitLocker.The device is Intune enabled and I couldn't find the key on Azure Ad as well.I checked under...
  3. I cannot view my bitlocker keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot view my bitlocker keys: When I try to view my bit locker keys on https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykey?refd=account.microsoft.com I see this:TraceID: yOIsD2uww0KLE4vt.22.68Please help. I cannot start my laptop. It is asking for bit locker key after update....
  4. I cannot view my bitlocker keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot view my bitlocker keys: When I try to view my bit locker keys on https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykey?refd=account.microsoft.com I see this:TraceID: yOIsD2uww0KLE4vt.22.68Please help. I cannot start my laptop. It is asking for bit locker key after update....
  5. How do I disable a key without downloading anything?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable a key without downloading anything?: For some reason, my keyboard likes to be annoying by pressing the left button for no reason, and I decided that disabling the left key is the way I'm going to stop it....
  6. How do I disable a key without downloading anything?

How do I disable a key without downloading anything?: For some reason, my keyboard likes to be annoying by pressing the left button for no reason, and I decided that disabling the left key is the way I'm going to stop it....
  7. I can't do anything but boot into bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't do anything but boot into bios: I'm all locked out of my Asus laptop\tablet beet to fac reset... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-do-anything-but-boot-into-bios/0aa9b78b-76a8-4e78-a134-e349ed53066f
  8. I can't do anything but boot into bios

I can't do anything but boot into bios: I'm all locked out of my Asus laptop\tablet beet to fac reset... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-do-anything-but-boot-into-bios/0aa9b78b-76a8-4e78-a134-e349ed53066f
  9. I cannot do anything to my pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I cannot do anything to my pc: so after doing what the community told me i cannot do anything to my pc. I tried resetiing it but gives me error. Im stuck on the blue screen where i cant do anything to help me but cmd. I did like to keep my personal data. Please helpme. The only working thing is cmd and...
  10. I can't boot, I can't do anything

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't boot, I can't do anything: I continuously get the same error over and over, C:\windows\system32\Logfiles\Srt\srtTrail.txt I've tried repairing, it doesnt work. I've tried resetting all of my hard disks, I get an error about 30% into it. Nothing works, I've spent hours trying to get back onto my...