Windows 10: I cannot change language to UK English

Discus and support I cannot change language to UK English in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi. I've bought a new W10 laptop windows home edition and I cannot get it to use UK English. The language settings say that it is set to UK English but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JosephWhittle, Apr 11, 2020.

1. I cannot change language to UK English

Hi. I've bought a new W10 laptop windows home edition and I cannot get it to use UK English. The language settings say that it is set to UK English but the spellchecker keeps suggesting American spellings. Not ideal when I bought the laptop to write on a book with!

I've checked the language settings and run all the windows updates, and its still happening. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

:)

JosephWhittle, Apr 11, 2020

2. After the latest update, the system language is UK English, with no option to change it.

Greetings.

So far, the system language of my Windows 10 copy was US English. After the last update, the system language -and the keyboard- changed to UK English. The option to remove it and replace it with another language and keyboard will not work.

I tried installing US International keyboard and removing the UK English keyboard and it worked for 10 minutes. After that, the UK English keyboard reappeared.

Since I am used to working with US English, suddenly using UK English keyboard -without having chosen to- is very inconvenient. Are there any suggestions for re-installing US English language and keyboard and removing UK English from my system?

Thank you in advance,

Giorgos

Giorgos_Kal, Apr 11, 2020
  3. viki2000 Win User
    Win10 – Language change Arabic to English

I just bought a 2nd hand laptop by occasion and it has only one problem: the Windows 10 was installed in Arabic language and I need it in English. I do not read/speak Arabic language.
    I looked over many YouTube videos in Arabic and English language about how to change the language in Win10. Unfortunately my screens that I see in Arabic language do not match the screens seen in Arabic on YouTube videos/tutorials, so I cannot do a blind click-click and by chance to change it into English.
    I can make print screens and then put them in USB stick and upload them here on EE from another PC – that I figure it out.
    I do not want to reinstall Win10 from scratch, but of course that is the last option.
    Below are the first steps which leaded me to, I hope, Language and Regional Settings in Win10, but where to click further and what to choose?
    I really need your guidance in step by step with pictures where shall I click in order to install the English language.
    A tutorial in English does not help. I need a tutorial (step by step) in Arabic with pictures.

viki2000, Apr 11, 2020
  4. I cannot change language to UK English

After the latest update, the system language is UK English, with no option to change it.

Dear DaveM121,

Thank you for your reply. After following your advice, in the language settings US English are indeed the primary language, with Greek being the secondary one. In the taskbar though there are three keyboard options, including UK English, which means that
    every time I want to type in Greek, I have to press alt+shift twice to change between UK and US English. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Giorgos

Giorgos_Kal, Apr 11, 2020
Thema:

I cannot change language to UK English

1. I cannot change language to UK English - Similar Threads - cannot change language

2. Unable to remove English UK keyboard language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to remove English UK keyboard language: I have 2 English keyboard languages: UK and US. I want to keep only US. But when I go to language & region settings, I can't find UK language to remove it....
  3. Unable to remove English UK keyboard language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to remove English UK keyboard language: I have 2 English keyboard languages: UK and US. I want to keep only US. But when I go to language & region settings, I can't find UK language to remove it....
  4. why after setting languages to UK english does it keep changing to US english?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why after setting languages to UK english does it keep changing to US english?: even after changing to UK english and making sure its set to default to UK in all settings it still goes to US https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-after-setting-languages-to-uk-english-does-it/ffdeced5-033e-472f-b89c-4158f4d2924d
  5. why after setting languages to UK english does it keep changing to US english?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why after setting languages to UK english does it keep changing to US english?: even after changing to UK english and making sure its set to default to UK in all settings it still goes to US https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-after-setting-languages-to-uk-english-does-it/ffdeced5-033e-472f-b89c-4158f4d2924d
  6. Windows 10 Pro - Non-English language laptop, cannot change language to English

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Pro - Non-English language laptop, cannot change language to English: I'm aware that many questions have been asked, but sadly, I can't find the answer... Due to Covid and travel restrictions, I've had to buy a laptop in Czech Rep. It came pre-installed with Win 10 Pro, and thus the ability to change display language or so I believe, according...
  7. English UK.

English UK.: I keep getting: English USA when I select: 'Language,' even though I make it default English UK in the language box. It jumps back to: USA continuously. WhY? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/english-uk/5833a679-f4cd-483a-8750-82e703be2b84
  8. English Canada defaults to English UK

English Canada defaults to English UK: I recently installed windows 10 in my machine and one of the first things I did was to change my display language to English Canada. I immediately noticed all the websites I tried to access since then would default me automatically to United Kingdom and English UK. After...
  9. Can't remove UK English language

Can't remove UK English language: I'm used to the US English keyboard, but when I try to remove the UK English it stays in the languages. How can I fix it? PowerShell doesn't find UK English [ATTACH]...
  10. Switching my keyboard language from UK english to US english

Switching my keyboard language from UK english to US english: I have been attempting to change my keyboard language for some time now I have already tried the obvious things such as going into settings and changing all of my settings to English and even syncing my Microsoft account settings. However, the problem still persists. What...