Windows 10: I cannot change the default app for any type files no matter what.

Discus and support I cannot change the default app for any type files no matter what. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Good evening. I formatted my PC few days ago. Everything is going smooth except for the fact I cannot change the default apps of any kind of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by רוםברנהיימר, Oct 12, 2018.

1. I cannot change the default app for any type files no matter what.

Good evening.

I formatted my PC few days ago. Everything is going smooth except for the fact I cannot change the default apps of any kind of format/program in any way.

Weather I do it through the Settings, or directly on a specific file, I cannot change it.

I can open the file in a custom app, but it won't be a default app.

It didn't work for apps that were installed on C:/ or D:/

I also have 2 videos showcasing the problem.

Video1

Video2

Thanks for your help.

:)

רוםברנהיימר, Oct 12, 2018

2. cannot change default app for jpg files

Hi KH,

Setting a default program or app to open a file doesn't restrict other apps or programs that support the same file type to open it. With your .jpg file opening with Photo viewer, it appears that Photo viewer is set as the default program. If you want to
    use the other program as the default .jpg viewer, then let's make sure that it's properly selected as the default program. Make sure to close both your Photo viewer and Irfranview apps first before doing the changes.

To associate a file type or protocol with a program, follow the steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click Programs, then Default Programs.
    • In the right pane, click Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Locate and click .jpg extension and click the Change Program option in the upper left corner of the page.
    • Select the program or app you want .jpg file to open with. If the app you want to use doesn't appear under
      Other options, then click on More apps.
    • Once you've selected the app or program, click OK and then
      Close

Try opening a .jpg file and see if it opens with your selected app or program.

Let us know if you need further help regarding this matter.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 12, 2018
  3. Windows10 Keeps Changing my Default Apps

Hi Carol,

There is a certain option in Settings where you can change the default apps for a specific file type. For example, your .psd file can be opened by a certain app as a default while the other file types can be opened by a different app. You can manually change
    it by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + I.
    • Select Apps, and then Default apps.
    • Select Choose default apps by file type.
    • From there, scroll down to the file type that you want to change the default app.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Oct 12, 2018
  4. I cannot change the default app for any type files no matter what.

app default setting by file type

Hi Richard,

We understand that you're having issues with the default file app association on your computer. To assist you with your concern, you may refer to the steps below on how to change the default setting of your application:

• In Search Windows textbox, search for choose a default app for each type of file and set .PDF and any other file extensions to point to your choice for default
      programs. Do not use Adobe Reader to set the association.
    • Navigate to %systemroot%\system32 and locate the OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file. Make a backup of it just in case.
    • Open the OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file and keep it open using
      Notepad.exe.
    • Open PowerShell or CMD and run it as Administrator.
    • Enter the following: Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:C:\AppAssoc.xml
    • Open C:\AppAssoc.xml with Notepad.exe
    • Copy the entire contents of AppAssoc.xml and replace the entire content of OEMDefaultAssociations.xml.
    • Save OEMDefaultAssociations.xml.
    • Delete C:\AppAssoc.xml (optional).

After doing the steps, you may now change the default file app association for opening .pdf.

Do update us with the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Stephanie Sal, Oct 12, 2018
Thema:

I cannot change the default app for any type files no matter what.

1. I cannot change the default app for any type files no matter what. - Similar Threads - cannot change default

2. Cannot change default app by File Type in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Cannot change default app by File Type in Windows 11/10: [IMG]If you cannot change the default app by File Type in Windows 11/10 then this post is sure to help you resolve the issue. Windows 11/10 provides built-in options to change the default app(s) to open certain file types. If you want JPG, PDF, PNG, MP4, MP3, and other file...
  3. How to change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change default app for file type: I'm trying to change app that handles .jpg file types on my system from default "photos" to Windows Media player(just because I like better it looks:)) and despite fact that WMP is installed and handles other file types - [img] , I still can't choose it from the windows...
  4. How to change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change default app for file type: I'm trying to change app that handles .jpg file types on my system from default "photos" to Windows Media player(just because I like better it looks:)) and despite fact that WMP is installed and handles other file types, I still can't choose it from the windows default app...
  5. Change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change default app for file type: I want an .sb3 file to download to Google Chrome but it's downloading to Opera. When I try to change the default app for that file the only option is Opera. Any ideas what to do?...
  6. Unable to change default app by file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change default app by file type: I use a genealogical program with file extension of GED, but MS refuses to let me use Roots Magic as the default app to open the GED files. I have done all methods shown here, and the Windows somehow associates GED files with Photoshop which won't open them as it is the...
  7. change the default app to open a file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    change the default app to open a file type: How do I change the default app to open a .wpd document file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-app-to-open-a-file-type/6cb7b0b6-d967-4f4b-9d18-8ad6651abac0
  8. Cannot select default app for file type

Cannot select default app for file type: Hello, I am trying to set a default application for a file extenstion but it doesn't save. [ATTACH] When doing that, it opens the application in the correct application: notepad++, but it doesn't update it to windows, so when i try to just double click on the file, it...
  9. how do I change the default apps for a file type?

how do I change the default apps for a file type?: I know how to go to default apps and change default apps for a file type, but for example, I am trying to associate google sheets for .gsheets files or even excel for .gsheets files. Windows 10 has them defaulted to googlesyncdrive and only offers me that option or to go to...
  10. Unable to change Default Apps by File Type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to change Default Apps by File Type: I'm trying to stop PDF files from opening in IE11, I want them to open in Adobe reader. When I go through the settings menu and get to the screen "Choose Default Apps by File Type" I cannot scroll down that page it stays locked on the top section. A screenshot is attached....