Windows 10: I cannot connect to Wi-Fi anymore, only ethernet.

Discus and support I cannot connect to Wi-Fi anymore, only ethernet. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was using my laptop, without any issues. Then I put it to sleep, when I open it. My Wi-Fi icon has disappeared and I only have the ethernet one and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Renoxxed, May 8, 2019.

1. Renoxxed Win User

I cannot connect to Wi-Fi anymore, only ethernet.

I was using my laptop, without any issues. Then I put it to sleep, when I open it. My Wi-Fi icon has disappeared and I only have the ethernet one and it's red. I check every other website, none of them work. I checked Device Manager and my Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter has disappeared. I even checked "Show hidden devices" Does anyone know a fix?

:)

Renoxxed, May 8, 2019
  2. lasot Win User

How to indicate wi-fi connection on taskbar/desktop with ethernet on

Using 'Select which icons appear...' I'm only able to toggle this one network icon. And it switches from wired to wireless, depending on whether the ethernet cable is plugged in.

Of course, the info is there, I just got used to not having to click on the icon. I always just looked at the corner of the screen every few minutes to make sure the wi-fi was still connected and ready in case my wired connection failed.

It's just strange for me that in the same scenario (ethernet connection + wi-fi active), Windows 7 would show the wireless icon (and it wasn't possible to change it either AFAIK), and Windows 10 shows the other one *sarc

Oh well, it's not the end of the world if it's impossible to change it, but any other suggestions on how to display the wi-fi state on the taskbar (or desktop) are still welcome.

lasot, May 8, 2019
  3. lasot Win User
    How to indicate wi-fi connection on taskbar/desktop with ethernet on

Below you can find my original post from 2 days ago. Since I got 0 responses, I don't think it's possible to set WIndows 10 the way I wanted. I've decided to change my question:

Is there a way to see if the computer is connected to a wi-fi network while the ethernet cable is also plugged in, without having to click on the cable network icon on the taskbar? I first wanted to switch the cable icon to the wi-fi one, but as it doesn't seem possible, maybe there is a way to create some indicating icon on the desktop? Running some external program that would display an additional wi-fi icon on the taskbar? Or any other solution?

original post:

Hello everybody, this is my first post here.

I've had a Windows 10 desktop computer for several days now. I have two different internet connections (one is through an ethernet cable, and the other one is wireless) and I usually use both of them simultaneously. I play an online game and I need these two connections to be active at the same time. The ethernet connection is my primary one and the wireless one is kind of an "emergency" connection. The ethernet adapter has a priority over the wi-fi adapter (seems to be a default system setting and I want it this way). The ethernet connection sometimes disconnects at random times, so if it happens I just unplug the cable and reconnect through the wireless connection until I see that the first one has reconnected. I can't find any way to achieve the following:

While both connections (ethernet and wi-fi) are active, I want to see the wi-fi network icon on my taskbar, instead of the ethernet icon.

This was perfectly possible on my old laptop with Windows 7, which I was using until I bought the new desktop computer. The ethernet adapter had a priority over the wi-fi, just like now. The ethernet cable was always plugged in and by default, the cable network icon was shown on the taskbar. But when I connected to my wi-fi network at the same time, the icon changed to the wi-fi symbol. Both connections were working properly and the transfer was through the ethernet connection, although the wi-fi icon was shown as long as the wireless connection was active. It was much more comfortable for me that way, because I didn't have to make sure that the computer was properly connected via wi-fi, just one look at the icon was enough. But on the new computer, the ethernet icon is displayed even with a wi-fi connection active. It only switches to the wi-fi icon when I unplug the ethernet cable, but ethernet is my primary connection, so I don't wanna do that.

I would really appreciate if anybody could help me set my new computer up in a similar way. Here is some additional information:

I know that in Windows 7, by default, wireless connections had priority over ethernet, so I had to manually change the metrics (I hope it's called that way in English) of my network adapters in my old laptop to give priority to the wired connection. In Windows 10, as it seems, wired connections are prioritized, so I didn't have to change the metrics of the adapters.

The WIN7 laptop I used before had a built-in wi-fi adapter, but my new desktop doesn't have one. I bought a TP Link USB wi-fi adapter which was installed automatically and the connection is working properly. But maybe the fact that it's not a built-in adapter matters? Or perhaps it could be a question of the adapter's drivers? I'm not an expert, but I think it's more likely caused by the system itself than by the drivers or the hardware.

Is anybody able to get what I want to get (a wi-fi icon displayed on the taskbar with both ethernet and wi-fi connections active) with a built-in wi-fi adapter?

lasot, May 8, 2019
  4. I cannot connect to Wi-Fi anymore, only ethernet.

Different Network Connection From the same Wi-Fi

Hi,

Thank you for providing the details.

As mentioned above in your post, the Desktop is connected to the Ethernet
    and Laptop is Connected to the Wi-Fi. It is not possible to connect to the same Wi-Fi networks. If both Desktop and Laptop are on Wi-Fi devices then you could try connecting it to the same Wi-Fi network.

• Did you try the below step provided and what was the result?
    I would suggest you to create a new HomeGroup and check if it helps.
    Refer: HomeGroup
    from start to finish

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, May 8, 2019
Thema:

I cannot connect to Wi-Fi anymore, only ethernet.

1. I cannot connect to Wi-Fi anymore, only ethernet. - Similar Threads - cannot connect anymore

2. Cannot connect to Wi-Fi or Ethernet after latest update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot connect to Wi-Fi or Ethernet after latest update: Hi,As stated on the title, after I've installed the latest windows update November, it will not detect my ethernet or wi-fi. I'd try troubleshooting, and it found issues on the network adapter driver, the thing is, i already checked and updated all my drivers to the latest...
  3. Cannot connect to Wi-Fi or Ethernet after latest update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot connect to Wi-Fi or Ethernet after latest update: Hi,As stated on the title, after I've installed the latest windows update November, it will not detect my ethernet or wi-fi. I'd try troubleshooting, and it found issues on the network adapter driver, the thing is, i already checked and updated all my drivers to the latest...
  4. My Wi-Fi doesn't work anymore the driver is gone. It only connects to ethernet. how do i...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Wi-Fi doesn't work anymore the driver is gone. It only connects to ethernet. how do i...: My Wi-Fi no longer works, the driver is gone, and all it does is connects to ethernet. I tried resetting network, rebooting and wiping my whole system, and scanning hardware changes, and it's still not there sadly. Please help me...
  5. Cannot connect with Wi-fi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot connect with Wi-fi: Yesterday unable to connect on Wi-Fi with my HP windows 10 laptop for the first time in years. Other devices, including one other computer, connect with no problem. Followed the instructions here:...
  6. Cannot connect to Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot connect to Wi-Fi: I have just reformat my laptop, unfortunately after that my laptop detect low Wi-Fi signal.I have confirmed that the network card adapter is presence and work well. On other device, the signal of that Wi-Fi is excellence. But, on my laptop, it is not. when I try to connect to...
  7. Wi-Fi masquerading as an Ethernet Connection?

Wi-Fi masquerading as an Ethernet Connection?: Hi all, Newbie here. After new PC arrived and was through all the setup, I ended up with an ethernet connection that appears to be named after one of my Wi-Fi connections. Everything works fine, but I would like to know how to fix/change this. Attaching a pic. Red arrow...
  8. Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi: Hi there I have an Ethernet cable attached to my PC but also want the Wi-Fi connected too as a back etc. but every time I Connect to Wi-Fi it says unable to connect to network. Now the Ethernet is connected no problem and my wife's computer is connected to Wi-Fi no issues,...
  9. No wi-fi/ethernet cable connection

No wi-fi/ethernet cable connection: Hello, since around 2PM today May, 2nd I have been unable to connect to my home wi-fi or directly use the ethernet cable it has in order to access the internet on my laptop using my work laptop to write this. My laptop is an ASUS TUF gaming fx705DU with Windows 10 Pro, if...
  10. Cannot Connect To Wi-Fi

Cannot Connect To Wi-Fi: Hello i have tried connecting to my school's apartment however it always goes to no connections are available and then airplane mode and shows connections are available. the Wi-Fi connects just fine in all other areas of the school byt not in my apartment. The apartment is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot find windows 7 wireless. only ethernet

2. my pc does not connect via wireless only by ethernet WINDOWS 10