Windows 10: I cannot copy ANYTHING, nor create a single folder on my own external hard drive

Discus and support I cannot copy ANYTHING, nor create a single folder on my own external hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So. I'm not exactly sure when I unplugged my external hard drive, but it has probably been a few months by now. The other once I can copy to, but it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GrumpyHedgehog, Oct 27, 2020.

1. I cannot copy ANYTHING, nor create a single folder on my own external hard drive

So. I'm not exactly sure when I unplugged my external hard drive, but it has probably been a few months by now.

The other once I can copy to, but it has not been unplugged, and I guess was still plugged in when all sorts of updates happened. I am certain I disabled updates getting downloaded in the background, but whatever. I'll do it again later. That's just a minor nuisance to this. To being unable to use my external hard drive to save my files to. To being unable to even create a single folder on my own external hard drive.

Even when I state yes, I am the Administrator, it won't even let me create a single folder, let alone copy a file over from PC to external hard drive.

So. Since then I reckon there was an update a dozen, and things probably went pear-shaped. Windows sure has been bugging me to make an account or something since then, which I do not wish to do.

I have Windows 10 Pro, and have made any and all possible choices to neuter Cortana. I hope this is not the cause of my issues.

I'd greatly appreciate some help in the form of navigatable ways and not command prompts, because obviously I'm not good enough to fix it if I type the wrong code in.

:)

GrumpyHedgehog, Oct 27, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 27, 2020
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Oct 27, 2020
  4. I cannot copy ANYTHING, nor create a single folder on my own external hard drive

Cannot copy files from external drive

Hi,

Thank you for replying back to us.

1. Did you try to create a new user account and try to copy the files from your external drive to your computer?
    2. What is the location that you are trying to past the file? For example, are you pasting the files from your external drive to your Desktop, Documents, or somewhere else?
    3. Are you able to copy the same files from the external drive to the some other PC?
    4. Are the files write protected on your external drive?

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: Go to the destination folder on your computer, where you are trying to copy the files from your external drive. Let’s create a
    New Folder on your desktop.

Step 2: Double click on New Folder from your desktop and
    Right Click on some blank space and click on Properties
    and go to General tab.

Step 3: Under Attributes, completely uncheck the
    Read-only option. (The box should be blank, check it again if it has a checkmark or a small square inside it).

Step 3: Click on Apply and
    OK

Step 4: Now, open one of the files on your external drive and do the same, i.e.,
    Right Click on a file (NOT THE FOLDER) >
    Properties
    > General and under Attributes, uncheck
    Read-only option.

Step 5: Click on Apply and
    OK

Now, see if you are able to copy this file from your external drive to your computer.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

I cannot copy ANYTHING, nor create a single folder on my own external hard drive

1. I cannot copy ANYTHING, nor create a single folder on my own external hard drive - Similar Threads - cannot copy ANYTHING

2. why are folders i created in another external hard drive appearing in another external hard...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why are folders i created in another external hard drive appearing in another external hard...: heres a screenshot, you will need it later to better understand what im sayingso heres the start of whats happeningso basically, when it was xmas christmas, i got a external hard drive to store all my videogames and documents inbut after some time of using it, a folder...
  3. Create external hard drive recovery drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create external hard drive recovery drive: Attach the external hard drive to which the recovery is required. Insert a USB flash or use DVD drive, these are not the target drive but are required by the recovery software otherwise it will not work..So click on Control Panel, select Recovery then Create a Rcovery...
  4. Copying to External Hard Drive

Copying to External Hard Drive: I try to copy files to my external hard drives, the system goes through the procedure, but when I look where the files should be, only the folders are being copied. Why am I unable to copy to external drives and how can I do this?...
  5. Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive: I can copy from, but not to ANY I have tried multiple external HDDs, ports and cables external drive. Whether I copy paste or drag drop, most times it will copy 1 or 2 files, then the copy stops, the drive disconnect chime occurs and explorer crashes. Most times I get...
  6. Can’t download anything to external ssd or any hard drive I own

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t download anything to external ssd or any hard drive I own: I can’t download anything to my ssd. Anytime I download something, my computer completely freezes, it does not go to blue screen, it does not restart unless I manually do it, and it’ll stay like that until i reboot my computer. I am running Windows 10 on a MacBook Pro with a...
  7. Neither able to create new folder on external hard drive nor paste any file

Neither able to create new folder on external hard drive nor paste any file: Whenever trying to create a new folder or paste any file on hard drive, it gives error "You need permission to perform this action". Already added groups/users and gave full permission in security tab of hard drive properties. Please help to resolve this issue. Thanks....
  8. External Hard Drive copies

External Hard Drive copies: When I attach an external hard drive it displays two copies (e.g. Drive (E:)) the content is the same but when moving folders or files i have sometimes put them in different copies. I would like just one drive but how do i get rid of the copy?...
  9. external hard drive folders

external hard drive folders: I use an external hard drive for storage, and sleep mode was closing all open folders and files. I set "USB selective suspend setting" under Power Management to "Disabled", and now in sleep mode FILES stay open but FOLDERS are still closed which is pretty annoying. My...
  10. Copying folders from C: to external hard drive or USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying folders from C: to external hard drive or USB: I'm switching from an old desktop running XP to a new laptop running Windows 10. I've copied folders, including some programs, to an external hard drive and/or a USB. Windows Explorer in XP allowed me to just highlight files or folders I want to copy, then right click to...