Windows 10: I cannot login with Games for Windows Live? GFWL?

Discus and support I cannot login with Games for Windows Live? GFWL? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello all. I recently purchased a video game from Steam. In order to get achievements saving to my profile, I need to sign in with Live. Inside the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by AdamW86, Aug 12, 2020.

1. AdamW86 Win User

I cannot login with Games for Windows Live? GFWL?

Hello all. I recently purchased a video game from Steam. In order to get achievements saving to my profile, I need to sign in with Live.

Inside the game when I click on Live it has the option to sign in. I enter my Hotmail and credentials, and I get this error:

Can't connect to LIVE. Error code: 0x80151906

I believe the server is down.

As of 2 months ago, people were able to login to Live on this game. I have been Googling and trying everything people suggest. Reinstall the game. Disable multi-factor authentication. Reinstall the G4WL / GFWL applications. Allow the game and applications through the Firewall. Try it on a different machine.

Also inside the game there is a Network Information button, which says my Internet IP address is Not signed in. But under that it lists my correct IPv4 address. Does this mean the game is not connected to the internet? I don't understand this discrepancy.

Any help would be appreciated!

:)

AdamW86, Aug 12, 2020

2. [Guide] Games for Windows Live (GFWL), Steam, Windows 10 and You

Introduction

Thanks to,
    Ackis
    , who is an Xbox Community Ambassador. He has created a helpful guide to help you get your PC games working. This has been taken from his thread here:

https://forums.xbox.com/thread/7d065256-342c-4eb0-9866-21ee9fbfb4b4

Details

GFWL can work on Windows 10, however it may take a bit of additional work to get it working fully.

Purchased from Steam:

Steam is a wonderful platform - you buy the game, install it and it should just work. Well with GFWL that's not always the case. The reason is that Steam is required to redistribute the exact version of GFWL that came with the game. This means that you're
    getting older versions when you install from Steam.

To fix this you need to install the latest version of GFWL. You can see instructions under the Windows 10 header.

GFWL Achievements on Steam:

If you're worried about achievements for GFWL there is still a way to get them.

Some games on Steam (Ms. Splosion for example) allow you to install the Steamworks version or the GFWL version. Other games (Batman Arkham series, Toy Soldiers, and many more) have patched GFWL out completely. You won't be able to get the achievements
    for these games anymore.

These games may aiuto-update to non-GFWL versions, however there is a way you can prevent this:

1. Select the game from the Steam list of games.
    2. Right click, and go to properties
    3. Click the Updates tab
    4. Under automatic updates select "Only update this game when I launch it"

This will prevent the game from getting updates automatically, however you'd still need to update it when you try to play it. You can get around this by setting Steam to offline mode when you launch the game.

Windows 10:

Getting GFWL to work on Windows 10 take a bit of extra work. This can be fixed pretty easily by:

1. Removing GFWL, the Marketplace, etc. from your PC
    2. Reboot
    3. Download the latest version of GFWL from Xbox Support
    4. Install it
    5. Reboot

Now with GFWL this doesn't have a 100% success rate. However you can try the exact same steps and it'll work the second or third time you do it. Pretty annoying, but at least you get to play your game.

DLC:

Any DLC that you have purchased in the past will still be accessible and you can download it. However you cannot purchase anything new. There are a few ways around this. For example Dirt 3 has a physical copy that includes codes for all the DLC.

If you have a DLC code it should still work, you just need to enter it via the GFWL client.

GFWL Log File Locations:

The log files for the GFWL client may provide some insight into what's breaking with GFWL. These files are located here:

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\GFWLive\Logs

You can access/view these by:

1. Press the Windows Key + R
    2. Type in: C:\Users
    3. Press enter
    4. Find your user name.
    5. Navigate to AppData -> Local -> Microsoft -> GFWLive -> Logs
    6. Right click on the log file and choose Open With
    7. Select Notepad (or another text editor)

The default Windows Notepad program will let you see the contents, however due to the nature of the log files they may be hard to read. I personally use a program called Notepad ++ (Notepad++)
    which makes the log files a bit easier to parse. Right now I have one line in my log file that is 48849 characters which turns out to be 14 pages.

What to look for in the log files:

This is hard to say without knowing a specific problem, however searching for the word "error" may help. As I mentioned above, some of the log lines may be quite long, and you'll have to use your judgement on if they provide any information that's of use.

Games for Windows Live Release Date Activation:

Sometimes when you install a game that uses Games for Windows Live it'll ask you to verify the release date of the game online. When you click the accept/next button it gives you an error that you're not connected to the internet.

Thankfully there may be a very simple fix for you. Change the date on your computer to be in the same month/year that the game was released. For example, Batman Arkham City was released on October 18, 2011. Changing your system clock to October 30, 2011
    and then trying the activation will work.

Contrary to what SecurROM support states (SecuROM™ Support Website - Batman: Arkham City) the Games for Windows Live service is
    NOT shut down.

Individual Game Support:

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), Aug 12, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Games for Windows Live Randomly Disconnects From LIVE

Hi Ilgaz,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?
    • Do you see any error code/message upon GFWL crash?

The possible reason for the crash could be the game trying to access the older version of GFWL located within it’s directory. You may try the troubleshooting methods listed in
    Troubleshoot Games for Windows Live connection problems
    and see if it works for you.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Aug 12, 2020
  4. gupsterg Win User

Games for Windows Live failing to login error code 80048821

I've got no GFWL marketplace apps, never bought them *Smile I cannot login with Games for Windows Live? GFWL? :) .

When I wasn't able to login into the GFWL account so:-

i) GTA IV (Steam edition), to use autosaves.
    ii) Lost Planet - Extreme condition colonies (ie 1st game, DVD Edition), does not even play if you can't login to GFWL.

I was just using the GFWL marketplace app to see if issue was limited to in game GFWL client.

Yeah MS support sucked, at one point I was getting "contact software author".

I said well the games launch, so it's not the software authors fault, but I just can't login to the in game GFWL client. I did not know if I should laugh or cry when the support person came out with perhaps login to an xbox using your details as that may resolve "whatever" is up with my account.

gupsterg, Aug 12, 2020
Thema:

1. I cannot login with Games for Windows Live? GFWL? - Similar Threads - cannot login Games

2. Do GFWL Games have Limited Installs? Games for Windows live

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do GFWL Games have Limited Installs? Games for Windows live: I plan on buying Kane and Lynch 1 and Battlestations Pacific. and since both games use GFWL do they have Limited Installs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-gfwl-games-have-limited-installs-games-for/2a3d6943-fa88-4537-9016-ff449c5a0538
  3. Games For Windows Lives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games For Windows Lives: Where can I download Games For Windows Live for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/games-for-windows-lives/eda227b6-4b96-4de4-9ead-adf0415c6511
  4. Flightsim cannot login to Xbox Live and loops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flightsim cannot login to Xbox Live and loops: My Flight sim 2020 cannot update or run as it cannot login to my Xbox Live account. I have no problem logging in to either Microsoft Store or Xbox Live applications. Xbox Live support also has a serious problem with their phone system as three times yesterday, after 3 hours...
  5. Games for windows live

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games for windows live: I bought Fallout 3 GOTY edition on steam a really long time ago, like 4 years ago and i never actually started playing it. I recently went back to playing all the fallout games in order. and now im stuck with Fallout 3 crashing everytime i start it up? i narrowed it down to...
  6. Games for Windows live

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Games for Windows live: I need to have games for windows live to play fallout 3 on steam, but there is no where to download it. I did get an installer from somewhere but when I try to install it says it can't connect to the server I am assuming it is because its down. Help? Thanks!...
  7. Xbox Live PC cannot login

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Xbox Live PC cannot login: Downloaded Forza Horizon 4 Demo from MS Store to try it before buying gamepass, but it said I was not loged in. Confused I downloaded the xbox live app to sign in, but when I click on the sign in button, a blank windows just pops up and disappears, tried to run Forza again...
  8. Games for Windows Live

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Games for Windows Live: I have an old Windows 7 laptop and was wondering if it is possible to copy the Games for Windows Live program to a flashdrive, then put onto my new windows 10 laptop. The only reason I would do this is because I have Viva Pinata for PC that runs fine but I cannot save it...
  9. gfwl

in Windows 10 Gaming
    gfwl: I have just installed windows 10 and installed gfwl. But when i login it fails to find my purchase history. I'm unable to install any of my games. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling nothing has worked. Anyone know how i can fix this so i can install my games? 29388
  10. Live account will not reset password - cannot login to laptop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Live account will not reset password - cannot login to laptop: After upgrading a Toshiba laptop I am unable to login. The laptop refuses to take any passwords entered. I have reset the password at accountlive/password/reset but the tablet will not take the new password. I have tried creating a login USB using isunshare. When starting...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. gta iv disable autoupdate gfwl

2. Windows live marketplace re mobile.cohid not conncet

3. games for windows live cant enter password?

4. gfwl login fail