Windows 10: I cannot login with ms account in windows 10. 100gb data lost?

Discus and support I cannot login with ms account in windows 10. 100gb data lost? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; First of all my specs TLDR AT THE BOTTOM Hp Probook 470 G5 Windows 10 Professional 1803 10.0.17134.407 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ison, Nov 29, 2018.

1. ison Win User

I cannot login with ms account in windows 10. 100gb data lost?

First of all my specs

TLDR AT THE BOTTOM

Hp Probook 470 G5

Windows 10 Professional 1803 10.0.17134.407

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz

Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

OSType64BitX64

8 GB

STORY:

The laptop was provided by my new job about mid April 2018. I am computer savvy so I was able to set it up and our external it partner just installed our erp software and office licences / network printers. Also he set it up to use a company nas. We do not have active directory.

The chain of events begin with the 1803 update that made the laptop freeze and got me blue screens (about end of april-start of May (haven’t seen them like years).

I was almost sure there was a hardware problem and to my relief it was a combination of intel ssds (google intel 600p) with 1803 that was to blame for the behavior. (1)Unfortunately until I was able to figure it out I decided to reset laptop in factory default using the build in partition .Keep in mind that I had my MS account associated with the laptop BEFORE the reformat/new installation as well AFTER.

(2)Also I change the setting of ms update from Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) to plain semi-annual in the new configuration of the machine. That was a preventative measure so as so not to have any problems in the future.

The new installation occurred at May 14.

All went well until monday 5 of November. And here how the fuel of nightmare begined to manifest.

I closed my pc as always Friday 2 of November to take it home with me. (I can work partially from home sometimes). I didn’t notice any updates going on and just shut it down. The only new think I did that day (besides my daily routine) was to install a network barcode printer and get drivers for him (TLC brand).

As I said above I have a ms account associated with the laptop BUT I NEVER had to put any password to login. I had set it (if I remember correctly) to auto login and don’t ask for one.

Begging Monday as always I brought the laptop back from home (didn’t use it all) and opened it ONLY TO BE GREETED with a password login screen. My god I was not at all prepared of what would follow and the discoveries I made.

I said to my self no problem it probably triggered with some update so I will put my ms account pass. WRONG! It dint work. I stayed calm and said no problem I will reset it…WRONG didn’t worked either …password incorrect and not a single option to sign in differently. I had no local account (since it was an ms account).

Started troubleshooting and as mention in google tested old passwords …NOPE nothing…there is a password reset option underneath my login screen but THAT’S if you have already made a usb reset disk (I didn’t because I didn’t want a password in the first place)

Im 100 sure that the password asked is from my MS account since it has my picture and my name exactly as it is in my Microsoft account.

Now this is where it gets interesting. Im sure the laptop is online since I can find it with find my device PLUS recently it updated from 10.0.17134.345 to 10.0.17134.407 (I can see it in my ms account page plus at 19 of November it told me it need to update so im sure I have a valid internet connection)

The reason it gets interesting is that to test how ms account respond I change my profile picture BUT to my disbilied it didn’t change the pic on the laptop. THAT is telling me that somehow although the laptop is connected to the internet …it doesn’t SYNC with the ms account which is ..well weird?

So after all of this failed …back to our trusted safe mode or cmd right? WRONG

THIS is where bitlocker came and ****ed my day up.

You see at some point the drive was bitlocked. I struggle to remember when that happened but I sincerely tell you I don’t remember ever been asked for it.

If you try to go in safe mode/resete pc / cmd it asks for a bitlocker sequence that supposedly gets save in ms account… TRUE AND WRONG at the same time! The bitlocker key I had to my ms account was from the first initiation of the machine dating mid April. The key from the second installation (may 14 …and the one I was asked for) was nowhere to be found.

I was devastated since I tried every trick I could think of but the bitlocker encryption but it a halt.

I hear you all say …no problem just reformat. I would but (and here is the cherry on top of the cake) I made the rookiest mistake of all. Days before the incident I saved in the laptop 100gb of family videos temporarily until I uploaded to the cloud. I also DIDN’T keep the original hard drive I had them into but low level format it to sell it. Yes I am that unfortunate.

Those 100gb are my wedding / kids birthdays/ school plays etc. and as you may have guessed already…I don’t have them anywhere else.

Its 26 of November and im struggling to finding something to keep my hopes alive. I have searched everything (azure included) but no key…I have putted every old password I can remember but nothing works.

My only hope is that since I can go until winlogin and the laptop does have internet access I can somehow find a solution to get the data back.

To be honest I am about to bit the bullet and do a reformat since I need the laptop for my work (im in a spare pc atm)…but I cant believe im that unlucky.

So reddit any ideas?

Why the POS windows ms account doesn’t work? Why cant it contact ms servers see the changed password and just let me ****ing login to the account …whats the point of having a ms account if it doesn’t SYNC with the net? WHY THE HELL bitlocker was enabled in my drive without me knowing it (im starting even to doubt myself now and telling that maybe It was my fault but I sincerely don’t remember activating or accepting anything remotely close)? Is there a chance with 1809 that the login problem will be fixed?? (although im in semi annual update circle meaning …easter until I see it)

Any help I will personally name my 4th child after you (if I ever go for a 4th !)

Thank you all for reading

I have the same post in reddit but wasnt able to get any help. I know my situation is difficult but i sincerely have tried everything

TLDR: windows 10 login with ms account failed/ cant use reset/cmd/safe mode due to bitlocker key password that I don’t have/ 100gb worth of precious family photos in the drive/ close to a heartattack.

:)

2. Login not accepted for my MS Account

Let me explain, again, what I have experienced:

• I use my MS account to unlock this computer. No problem doing that
    • I attempted to use other apps requiring the MS login, like Outlook, or even this forum, and it would not accept the very same credentials I used to unlock the computer
    • I used my wife's MS account to login to this forum so that I could seek help
    • I have tried resetting my MS account twice, and that did not work either.
    I would appreciate suggestions OTHER than wha I have already tried

SonoRimaggio, Nov 29, 2018
  3. Kursah Win User
    Loophole Lets You Freely Upgrade to Windows 10 After Offer Expiry

If you upgrade your 7 install to 10, which is worth it IMHO, make sure you link to a Microsoft Account. Otherwise you might not be able to easily regain the key if they block using 7 keys in the future.

You don't need to use the Microsoft account as your profile on so you can still bypass logging in at setup and creating a local account. All you gotta do to link your 10 account to your MS install (if you choose not to use your MS account as your profile), is to simply do the following:

• Click Start
    • Click Settings
    • Click Update and Security
    • Click Activation
    • As or with Admin permissions, click Add Account
    • Login with MS Account credentials.
    Then you should see a message that reads:

More info: https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/th...crosoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License , Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license - gHacks Tech News

Kursah, Nov 29, 2018
  4. FiiLeTe Win User

Window 10 Auto-Logon (Hotmail/MS Account)

Hello everyone!

So, i've updated my PC to Windows 10 and i have a little problem.

Anyone knows how to auto-logon without asking for password using Hotmail/MS Account? I i've already tried the trick using "netplwiz" from Windows 8 wich always worked totally, and in Win10 it just does not work, it keeps asking me for password...

Anyone knows how to bypass this without having to create a local account?

Cheers.

FiiLeTe, Nov 29, 2018
Thema:

1. I cannot login with ms account in windows 10. 100gb data lost? - Similar Threads - cannot login account

2. Cannot login to Window 11 with MS account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot login to Window 11 with MS account: Normally, I use my MS account to log in to my computer window 11, but apparently it does not accept that and no signing options showing. I try the forgot password method but it turns out that my security info still pending. What should I do to solve this problem?Thank you in...
  3. Cannot login to Window 11 with MS account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot login to Window 11 with MS account: Normally, I use my MS account to log in to my computer window 11, but apparently it does not accept that and no signing options showing. I try the forgot password method but it turns out that my security info still pending. What should I do to solve this problem?Thank you in...
  4. I cannot login on Windows 10 with hotmail account..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot login on Windows 10 with hotmail account..: Hi,For some reason I cannot login to my Windows 10 PC, even though I am using same mail name and code in outlook as when doing the login.Is there a way of solving this?I reset my account code yesterday, but that code does not work when trying to start windows 10. It's need to...
  5. I cannot login on Windows 10 with hotmail account..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I cannot login on Windows 10 with hotmail account..: Hi,For some reason I cannot login to my Windows 10 PC, even though I am using same mail name and code in outlook as when doing the login.Is there a way of solving this?I reset my account code yesterday, but that code does not work when trying to start windows 10. It's need to...
  6. Lost biometrics and pin login data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost biometrics and pin login data: How is it at all acceptable that not once, not twice, but three times in six months my laptop has forced me to reset my pin and biometrics at a whim because they just "stopped working"?! How can my private computer be locked at a moments notice and become unrecoverable...
  7. Lost biometrics and pin login data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost biometrics and pin login data: How is it at all acceptable that not once, not twice, but three times in six months my laptop has forced me to reset my pin and biometrics at a whim because they just "stopped working"?! How can my private computer be locked at a moments notice and become unrecoverable...
  8. Cannot login with MS account on Windows 10 - AT ALL!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot login with MS account on Windows 10 - AT ALL!: Hi. Today I changed password for my MS account hotmail.com. Login through the web browser works fine. MS Office reported problems with account, I clicked [Fix it] - not work. Clicked [Sign Out] and then [Sign In] - not work. Sign out was successfull, Sing in fail with...
  9. ms account lost

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    ms account lost: good day i have two computers i up graded to win 10 from win 8.1 , i would like to upgrade one computer , cpu and memory. one thing is, i can't remember what email i used for ms account. is there anyway to get the information off the computer it's self? since Verizon bought...
  10. I cannot login with ms account in windows 10. 100gb data lost?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I cannot login with ms account in windows 10. 100gb data lost?: First of all my specs TLDR AT THE BOTTOM Hp Probook 470 G5 Windows 10 Professional 1803 10.0.17134.407 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 OSType64BitX64 8 GB STORY: The laptop was provided by my new job about mid April 2018. I am...