Windows 10: I cannot mount VHDX File

Discus and support I cannot mount VHDX File in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've created an image file with Windows Backup on an external drive. When I right-click on the file and try "Mount", I get "Couldn't mount file" and a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by IvanDenisovich, Jul 12, 2021.

1. I cannot mount VHDX File

I've created an image file with Windows Backup on an external drive. When I right-click on the file and try "Mount", I get "Couldn't mount file" and a long statement about initializing, partitions, etc.Using disk management does not help either. I'm able to attach the file, but nothing beyond. Have tried all suggestions such as updating driver, uninstalling/re-installing disk, disconnecting and reconnecting external drHive, using chkdisk, etc. Nothing seems to help.Intererestingly, when going Settings, Recovery, Advanced start up, the VHDX is in fact recognized as available to restore.

:)

IvanDenisovich, Jul 12, 2021

2. Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

There is no problem with File Backups. It is the System Image Backup .vhdx file which I am trying to view, using it to mount a VHD (Drive MI cannot mount VHDX File :) which appears empty to File Manager. As you suggested I had a good look at the W7 tutorial for file mounting, and explored some of its links, but to no avail.

I also tried to mount the VHD with Diskpart from elevated command prompt: Diskpart; select vdisk file=filename.vhdx; attach vdisk. There was no need to assign a drive letter as Windows remembered it, which is annoying. M: was again empty.

Then, Windows PowerShell: Mount-VHD -Path "[location of vhd]". This cmdlet failed with error message "Mount-VHD is not recognised as the name of a cmdlet ...". Googling this, I found this could be due to the absence of a Hyper-V module for Windows PowerShell. Now, I know that Hyper-V Virtualization does not come with W10 Home but does with W10 Pro. Could my problem be related? Could it be that the image file is vdhx rather than vdh which I assume was the format in W7? I am out of my depth here, and don't want to experiment without advice.

Out of interest I checked UEFI Bios and found Virtualisation Technology to be disabled, and Hyper-V missing from the Programs and Features list in Control Panel. With some trepidation I tried Enabling Virtualisation. Programs and Features list was unchanged, as was the PowerShell outcome and the zero content of M: after attaching via Disk Management. I returned Virtualisation to Disabled.

Drive M:'s properties show its partition type to be GUID, not MBR.

Grateful for any further thoughts. Thanks.

Old Novice, Jul 12, 2021
  3. Error in mounting VHDX file

Hi SkyOwner1;

My name is Abdirahman, an independent advisor, and a fellow Windows 10 user. I will be glad to help with your request.

Can you provide more information following question below:-

1 - What is a build number for Windows 10?

3 - What is the size file VHDX?

Abdirahman Issa, Jul 12, 2021
  4. SkyOwner1 Win User

I cannot mount VHDX File

Error in mounting VHDX file

Hi,

I have Created a VHDX file Ihave stored so many important files in it today when i try to open it is saying

Make sure the file is in an NTFS volume and isn't in a compressed folder or volume

I cannot mount VHDX File [​IMG]

i have seen in properties when i try to unchuck the compress file option

it is not applyingto the file

please help me my contact number: 9603855406

SkyOwner1, Jul 12, 2021
Thema:

I cannot mount VHDX File

1. I cannot mount VHDX File - Similar Threads - cannot mount VHDX

2. Cannot change drive letter of mounted vhdx

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot change drive letter of mounted vhdx: The option to set a drive letter for a mounted vhdx is disabled. I created the vhdx using the Windows 10 built in Backup and Restore feature. This created the vhdx file on an external drive. I then plugged that external drive into a different Windows 10 machine. From...
  3. Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory: Disks are mounted read-only in C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\0\ I've added exclusions for C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\*\*\*\* Using MPCmdRun.exe -CheckExclusion -path "C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\ Using MPCmdRun.exe -CheckExclusion -path "C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\0 each shows excluded...
  4. How can we mount vhdx disks in the Windows Sandbox?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can we mount vhdx disks in the Windows Sandbox?: I am unable to mount a vhdx inside my sandbox. Doubleclicking the .vhdx file gives me an error popup "Problem beim Bereitstsellen der Datei". The powershell Mount-VHD cmdlet gives me a "The term 'Mount-VHD' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script...
  5. Error in mounting VHDX file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error in mounting VHDX file: Hi, I have Created a VHDX file Ihave stored so many important files in it today when i try to open it is saying Make sure the file is in an NTFS volume and isn't in a compressed folder or volume [IMG] i have seen in properties when i try to unchuck the compress...
  6. VHDX Auto Mount at Startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    VHDX Auto Mount at Startup: [ATTACH] I'm having trouble getting a VHDX to auto mount at startup. I'm using the guide found here, but it's not working. When I paste the same PoweShell command in an elevated PowerShell window, the VHDX mounts correctly. Here's the error I'm getting in Task Scheduler....
  7. How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you different ways using which you can natively mount or unmount VHD and VHDX virtual hard disk files in Windows 10. VHD and VHDX files cannot be mounted from removable media that isn’t formatted [...] This post How to Mount or...
  8. Mounting file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mounting file: I bought a new desktop pc--Yeah! As instructed I downloaded all my old pc files to an external hard drive-- Fat32. When I try to open the files on my new pc, I am told "Couldn't mount file" and to use Disk Mgt snap-in---whatever that is. I am just trying to access my old...
  9. Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10: How to: Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10 How to Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10 VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) is a file format which represents a virtual hard disk drive (HDD). It may contain what is found on a physical HDD, such as...
  10. Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10: How to: Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10 How to Mount or Unmount VHD and VHDX File in Windows 10 VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) is a file format which represents a virtual hard disk drive (HDD). It may contain what is found on a physical HDD, such as disk...