Windows 10: I cannot open my .xls files

Discus and support I cannot open my .xls files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I cannot open my .xls files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-open-my-xls-files/dcc00f41-ed9b-41d4-9481-5625455d5c7a" Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Deborah_Pool, Feb 5, 2020.

1. I cannot open my .xls files

I cannot open my .xls files

:)

Deborah_Pool, Feb 5, 2020
  2. Callender Win User

How to make Excel 2016 the default app to open xls and xlsx data files

You are supposed to double click on the entry for .xls in control Panel > Set Associations and in the window that opens choose "More Apps" then in the file explorer window that opens up browse to the Excel executable and select it.

I cannot open my .xls files [​IMG]

I cannot open my .xls files [​IMG]

See: Cant find Office applications in Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7? - Office Support

So launch Excel and leave it running. Start Task Manager [Ctrl+Shift+Esc]

In task manager processes tab scroll to excel.exe and right click on it. Choose "open file location" from the list and in the window that opens locate excel.exe and note the folder path. Use that path to browse to the executable in the step above that mentions browsing to the executable.

Callender, Feb 5, 2020
  3. How to make Excel 2016 the default app to open xls and xlsx data files

Thanks for the info but unfortunately when I double click NOTHING happens *Sad

dshields13, Feb 5, 2020
  4. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Feb 5, 2020
Thema:

1. I cannot open my .xls files - Similar Threads - cannot open xls

2. I Cannot Open My .Msi files are not working...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Cannot Open My .Msi files are not working...: when I try to open my ".msi" file/package it says "How Would You Like To Open Your .msi Fileplease help me... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-open-my-msi-files-are-not-working/2d0b25b0-2f91-43ff-ba18-5eab3f0372bb
  3. I Cannot Open My .Msi files are not working...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Cannot Open My .Msi files are not working...: when I try to open my ".msi" file/package it says "How Would You Like To Open Your .msi Fileplease help me... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-open-my-msi-files-are-not-working/2d0b25b0-2f91-43ff-ba18-5eab3f0372bb
  4. File explorer difficulty with xls and xlsx files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer difficulty with xls and xlsx files: Hi there,I've noticed that if I change the default program to open xls and xlsx files to an open source one, like libre office, the windows file explorer does some crazy things. First ctrl+c doesnt copy the files to clipboard anymore. Second I cant select multiple files with...
  5. I cannot open my file sometimes

I cannot open my file sometimes: When i select and open a file my cursor would load forever and cannot click anything until you close file explorerAnd sometimes it would be ok https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-open-my-file-sometimes/22d941e0-ec4a-4648-bca7-1f7bddc62cd9
  6. xls files

xls files: Good Day I am working from home so I transferred all documenttion from my Work Computer to a Usb but when I try to open it shows as a xls file and not exe. I eventually got it open from my Computer but when I email the documents they can't open it Please assist urgently...
  7. Can't open XLS file which i was able to previously open

Can't open XLS file which i was able to previously open: I have a file saved in OneDrive that i access both in my laptop and in my phone. I was working on that file last night and now i cannot open it on my phone. Says "can't open file may be locked, in use or no sufficient permission". I already rebooted both my devices, resaved...
  8. Autorecovered .xls files on C-Drive

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Autorecovered .xls files on C-Drive: I have a lot of 'Autorecovered' .xls and or .xlsb files on my C-Drive. They cover recent used Excel sheets. They read like: Filename%20Filename((Autorecovered-nnnbig nbrnnn)).xls Is it safe to delete those? Thanks. 151523
  9. Win-10 FILE EXPLORER opens Excel .xls files but now, suddenly and uniquely, fails to open...

Win-10 FILE EXPLORER opens Excel .xls files but now, suddenly and uniquely, fails to open...: Hello all For the last 3 months my new Win-10 FILE EXPLORER has opened both Excel.xls and Excel.xlsm files without a hitch. Suddenly, several days ago, the FILE EXPLORER stopped opening Excel.xlsm files while, surprisingly, continuing to open Excel.xls files. The FILE...
  10. XLS Converter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    XLS Converter: We have migrated to Office 365. One problem is that the online office will not open .xls files. Many of our vendors still use it. I need a way to convert them to .xlsx so O365 can open them. We don't want to use an online service because we are worried about data mining...