Windows 10: I cannot repair my internal hard drive and I need my files, what do I do? (Win 10)

Discus and support I cannot repair my internal hard drive and I need my files, what do I do? (Win 10) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, My laptop went to blue screen and it requested I put in the disk to repair it. It will not boot passed that now. After researching what to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DeeXO, Mar 5, 2019.

1. DeeXO Win User

I cannot repair my internal hard drive and I need my files, what do I do? (Win 10)

Hello,

My laptop went to blue screen and it requested I put in the disk to repair it. It will not boot passed that now. After researching what to do I downloaded Windows 10 onto a memory stick and began trying the different options that was available to me that would allow me to access my files to back them up or keep them safe whilst I repair the drive. Nothing worked. I have since learned that I would need to create an 'image' myself but I didn't have knowledge of this before the problem occurred.

In addition to the options I have on the memory stick, I have used a Sata cable and connected my hard drive externally to a PC but after 4 days found it was pointless. I think the computer could not cope because it was cheap, 8 years old and running Win 7. However, I could access the hard drive but I could not access the 'users' folder because it kept showing error. The computer crashed when I opted to run the scan and fix feature.

I have finally managed to get the laptop to perform a disk check from CMD but it says that an unspecified error occurred followed by a list of numbers and letters in brackets within stage 4.

I have tried to change the boot command to safe mode but it will not allow me to change it. I was hoping if I could get into safe mode I might be able to copy my files.

Unfortunately, I did not back up my files that is on this laptop prior to this problem (I know lesson definitely learnt) but I really need to try and get a readable copy of my photos and a few documents, the rest I can scrap and start again.

Please please please any advice at this point would be welcomed with regards to fixing the issue and preserving my files or just copying an accessible version of my files and then I can restore windows.

:)

DeeXO, Mar 5, 2019

2. recovering files and transferring them to another internal hard drive

Operating System Windows 10 professional version 1607 Build (14393.222)

Operating system is on an internal hard drive (534 GB free of 683 GB)

The computer has 32 GB flash cache.

I think the operating system has become corrupt even though no corruption is found or fixed with scannow or restorehealth.

The computer once had windows 7 professional and it had upgrade/downgrade rights and was upgraded to windows 10 professional.

There is an empty bay for an additional internal hard drive on this computer.

Windows easy transfer was once an option to transfer files from one computer to another but disappeared for windows 10. There is a company selling a product to replace windows easy transfer.

What are the options other than the above to move files from this internal hard drive to another internal hard drive on another computer? Also I had never on my own recovered files on a failed drive. How do you find all of the appropriate files so that
    you don't miss important files and how do you not transfer unneeded files that would take up hard drive space?

With the internal hard drive not being found by windows 10 professional in another computer I was unable to move the internal hard drive with the potentially corrupt os into the empty bay of another computer. Now I am considering placing an empty 1 TB internal
    hard drive into the empty bay of the computer with the potentially corrupt windows 10 operating system. If this computer recognizes the two internal hard drives how would you move all appropriate files from one drive to the other?

Please indicate how to move files from one drive to another or one computer to another. I don't have a hardware enclosure or a cable that moves files.

Please indicate how to find the appropriate files that need to be moved.

Please indicate how to decide which files not to move.

Please indicate which steps to make before formatting or sanitizing the internal hard drive with the potentially corrupt os.

In addition to the 1Tb internal hard drive that is empty I also have an external 32 Gb flash drive that has on it windows 10 professional (setup.exe). It has 28.5 GB free of 31.9 Gb.

Once the appropriate files are recovered to the empty internal hard drive how would you then install the windows 10 operating system onto the internal hard drive? Would you have to install the operating system first onto the internal hard drive? If so
    how would you do that? I have recovery media for windows 7 pro and windows 10 pro. If you need to install the os first how would you do this with the potentially corrupt os on the internal hard drive with important files and an empty internal hard drive?
    Would it have to be a double transfer (transfer important files from the internal hard drive that has a potentially corrupt os to an empty internal hard drive then transfer the files back to another internal hard drive that already has on it the os) of files?

questions_, Mar 5, 2019
  3. Internal hard drive

I have an internal hard drive, that I installed over a year ago. It is no longer listed in "This Computer. " It is only a year or 2 old. before I replace it is there a way to look for it in file management. Maybe a windows update changed a setting?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup / PC]

ChuckCarter_903, Mar 5, 2019
  4. malware Win User

I cannot repair my internal hard drive and I need my files, what do I do? (Win 10)

Seagate Extends Warranty on Maxtor Internal Hard Drives

Seagate Technology, the worldwide leader in hard disc drives and consumer storage solutions, today announced a three-year limited warranty, effective immediately, on every Maxtor branded Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit that is now shipping worldwide. Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kits are designed for users who want to replace or upgrade their internal hard drives in their PC or Mac. This move shows Seagate's continued commitment to its retail customers, giving them more storage choices, while providing best-in-class warranty protection, service and support on the world's most reliable hard drives. The new three-year limited warranty applies retroactively to all Maxtor branded Internal Hard Drive Kits in retail channel inventory, or purchased by consumers on or after October 1, 2006.

For early shoppers, a Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit is a perfect gift for that special someone who wants to upgrade their computer hard drive, giving it more capacity and the speed needed for demanding multimedia applications such as games and video. Consumers looking to upgrade to the premium version of Microsoft Windows Vista will also require more than 10GB of free hard drive space to load the operating system, and will need faster data transfer rates to obtain and enjoy a best-in-class computing experience from Microsoft.

This holiday season, digital cameras are also expected to be one of the hottest gift items according to the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). With this, consumers will be shooting more and more digital photos and downloading them on to their internal computer hard drive. Topping off at 500GB, a Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit not only satisfies the needs of this storage-intensive application, but also provides ample capacity for downloading the Internet's media-rich content such as music, video, photos, files and games. With Maxtor Retail Hard Drives by Seagate, consumers can rest assured in knowing that their data is stored on a trusted and reliable hard drive.

"Whether it's an internal hard drive or a simple to use external storage and backup solution, Seagate has a product for everyone," said Jim Druckrey, senior vice president and general manager for Seagate Branded Solutions. "Our Maxtor Branded Retail Kits include an industry leading drive manufactured by Seagate, giving consumers the quality assurance and reliability the industry has come to expect from Seagate. The positive response we have received from our retail partners is a testament to their confidence in our ability to deliver products that blend value, innovative storage technology and reliability."

Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kits come in capacities up to 500GB and include components users need to install the new hard drive - mounting screws, a PATA or SATA cable and step-by-step instructions, making it easy to upgrade their PC or Mac. Maxtor Hard Drive Retail Kits are available at retailers worldwide. Suggested retail price ranges from $79.95 for 80GB to $239.95 for 500GB. For more information, please visit www.maxtorsolutions.com.

Source: Seagate

malware, Mar 5, 2019
Thema:

1. I cannot repair my internal hard drive and I need my files, what do I do? (Win 10) - Similar Threads - cannot repair internal

2. If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?: My hard drive just died and my windows key doesn't work do I need a new one or how does this work? I have all components the same but my 2 tb died WITH windows installed. Thanks Dallas...
  3. If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?: My hard drive just died and my windows key doesn't work do I need a new one or how does this work? I have all components the same but my 2 tb died WITH windows installed. Thanks Dallas...
  4. If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. I need to factory reset my friend's laptop hard drive how can I do this? He cannot do it...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I need to factory reset my friend's laptop hard drive how can I do this? He cannot do it...: I have a USB to Sata Cable so I could put his hard drive into my pc. this way how do I install windows 10 for him? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-factory-reset-my-friends-laptop-hard/ba7fd7f4-7b4e-45fc-965e-9914f21c35c4
  6. Hard drive wiped itself! What do I do?

in Windows 10 News
    Hard drive wiped itself! What do I do?: [ATTACH]Even though uncommon, some users have reported that their hard drive has deleted some of the data itself. The situation is such that the data is not available in the Recycle bin or anywhere else but has been completely removed. This brings us to the question of what...
  7. I cannot get my e-mail on outlook. What do I need to do ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I cannot get my e-mail on outlook. What do I need to do ?: I cannot get my e-mail on my outlook account. I keep getting an error message. I haven't been able to get it for a month. I can get it through my ATT mail but not outlook. What can I do?...
  8. How do I unlock internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I unlock internal hard drive: Enter the 48 digit recovery key, but "a valid usb key wasn't detected." My computer was repaired. This is the internal drive I took out during repair. Now I put the drive back in and it is bitlocked. The C drive where Windows 10 is loaded works fine. larry...
  9. My computer needs to go in for repair before sending it what do i need to do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My computer needs to go in for repair before sending it what do i need to do?: Hi everyone, my computer is going in for repair (it needs a new hard drive) and I have been asked to remove my password from the main screen how do I do this without deleting my Microsoft account? I have backed up all important data and removed some programmes but I am...
  10. Do I need to defrag my Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Do I need to defrag my Hard Drive?: I have this SSD hard drive: Samsung SSD 650 Series 2.5" SATA 120GB | for Business Do I need to defrag it? If so, what do I use to defrag it and how often? 27676