Windows 10: I cannot revert to previous restore points

Discus and support I cannot revert to previous restore points in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am running. Windows 10 Home (1809). For a few days now I have been getting a blue screen error at startup, specifically "page fault in non-paged... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mpfeil, Feb 8, 2019.

1. mpfeil Win User

I cannot revert to previous restore points

I am running. Windows 10 Home (1809).

For a few days now I have been getting a blue screen error at startup, specifically "page fault in non-paged area" . I have not had this problem until the system updated to 1809.

To fix it I thought I would use a restore point that predates the blue screen error, but have received the (0x80070005) file access denied error code on both attempts, one of which was run in safe mode. So system restore is unusable.

Where do I go from here?

:)

mpfeil, Feb 8, 2019
  2. Gary38914 Win User

Revert back to previous versions

I installed Windows 10 1 week ago and need to revert to windows 8.1. I have tried both of your suggestion to revert and a) do not have a 'revert to windows 8.1' listing on my settings-restore page and b) when I restart the PC holding the shift key and
    select 'revert to previous build' I get a WDF Violation error and the system restarts Windows 10. There is a windows.old folder. I'm stuck, what can I do to restore Windows 8.1?

Gary38914, Feb 8, 2019
  3. mtroxel Win User
    Previous versions of files in restore point

Searched, didn't see this one.

One of the most useful features of Win 7 was when you could pull a previous version of a file out of the restore point. But now when I go to configure a system restore it isn't listed as an option as it was in 7. However, in a context menu on any file it still lists it as an option. Is this just gone or a huge bug?

mtroxel, Feb 8, 2019
  4. I cannot revert to previous restore points

Using Restore Points

"Still confused about restore point." when you say "still confused", does that mean you have already inquired about system restore? If so don't let those confusions interfere with the issue at hand which I interpret to mean you want how to understand how to use system restore. The posts already included bring up legitimate opinions but in your case I strongly suggest keeping it simple: just the basics.

FYI, whenever I help some one I always create a system restore point right up front not as a fix at that point but as a starting point of the computers situation. After moving on to address whatever the computer needs I will create a system restore point that mentions the computer is fixed. Before I leave I'll create another restore point because if something goes wrong later on, I can go back to the point of when the computer was fixed and running properly. Notice that system restore isn't what fixed the issues, they are just points when the system was either questionable or when it was running properly.

"Shouldn't I click 'configure' to set this up to be able to set some 'restore points' now and then? If things got cranky, fix it up easily "...by reverting your computer to a previous restore point..." looks simple."
    --- Yes turn it on.
    --- "easily" & "looks simple" sounds good but someone needs to know the basics before that approach is reasonable.

"Shouldn't I click 'configure' to set this up to be able to set some 'restore points' now and then? If things got cranky, fix it up easily "...by reverting your computer to a previous restore point..." looks simple."
    --- That's a good question but not an always good answer.
    --- If you suspect restoring to a previous restore point will help, try it.
    --- But then if the computer is in serious trouble, don't even try that, use your MRF system image backup.
    --- When you encounter a situation that isn't cut & dry, post the issue as there's plenty of excellent help available.

@I'mLost, I hope my recommendations are helpful but there are times I wonder about that.
    ---That doesn't mean to always follow my recommendations, but evaluate what makes sense to you from everyone else also in order to progress.
    --- Many times I'm trying to balance what a good recommendation is vs. trying to accommodate you.

There are System Restore points tutorials available and I'm willing to list the ones that should be helpful to you but I need to know if you are interested in such a list.

MeAndMyComputer, Feb 8, 2019
Thema:

I cannot revert to previous restore points

1. I cannot revert to previous restore points - Similar Threads - cannot revert previous

2. I cannot create restore point!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I cannot create restore point!: Hello, I have a question! When i try to create restore point, first it shows and error 0x81000203 and after that in System properties / System Protection i cannot create restore point and it cannot find any available drivers! Pls help!...
  3. Not able to revert to Restore Point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not able to revert to Restore Point: Hi Team, i have taken the Restore Point. but when i try to restore it showing error and not restoring the state. please find the below screenshot of the error. is there any way to take restore point without causing this issue. OneDrive issue [ATTACH] i tried the...
  4. restore the system to a point previous to the default options.

restore the system to a point previous to the default options.: Hi community, I want to restore the system to a point previous to the default options, which only go back a couple of months. How do I do that?...
  5. System restore to the previous point

System restore to the previous point: I am planning to restore my laptop to a previous point.I have made some changes to the settings of third party applications like eclipse.But these settings are changed recently i.e after the date that which I want to restore to.Once I restore to that date,will the settings go...
  6. Cannot revert to previous restore point

Cannot revert to previous restore point: Outlook starts and shows emails up to about a week ago, it starts to synchronise then shuts down. I then try to repair MS Office, it says it has been successful but the same problem occurs. I attempted to restore Windows 10 to a previous restore point but get the following...
  7. Anyway to restore previous version without restore point ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyway to restore previous version without restore point ?: I’m trying to restore a previous version of a folder. The problem is i have no restore point that will let me go back to the point I want to go. Is there anyway I can go back to the day I want to without ?. submitted by /u/NASCAR142002 [link] [comments]...
  8. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...
  9. System Restore will not do a restore to previous created Point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore will not do a restore to previous created Point: I am running windows 10 PRO (64Bit) Version 1709 installed about October2017 I have a MBR Partition 1 TB HD Everytime I try to use System Restore ( For any type of reason) Most of which is just to see if it works, Does not, and it has not worked since I went from version...
  10. Previous versions of files in restore point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Previous versions of files in restore point: Searched, didn't see this one. One of the most useful features of Win 7 was when you could pull a previous version of a file out of the restore point. But now when I go to configure a system restore it isn't listed as an option as it was in 7. However, in a context menu...