Windows 10: I cannot safely remove portable SSD's

Discus and support I cannot safely remove portable SSD's in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am having trouble safely removing external drives from my computers. The computer and drive I am having trouble with is a Lenovo Y530 laptop which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mike_Click, Apr 18, 2021.

1. I cannot safely remove portable SSD's

I am having trouble safely removing external drives from my computers. The computer and drive I am having trouble with is a Lenovo Y530 laptop which is fully updated - hardware and Windows 10 and a PNY Elite Portable SSD. I have the same trouble with different drives on this computer as well as on a Dell desktop but this is typical of what I experience in every instance.

When I try to "eject" the drive Windows tells me it is in use and to close any programs that are using it. I have used Process Explorer and it is showing to be in use by two instances of explorer.exe, which are running in the background and are not "open" where I can close them. I do not have any open programs other than Microsoft Edge and optional software running in the background Nvidia control panel and Norton 360.

The policy for the drive is marked for quick removal rather than better performance.

To be able to safely remove the drive my only option is to shut my computer down.

What can I do to fix this? Closing my work and rebooting the computer every time should not be necessary just to switch external drives.

:)

Mike_Click, Apr 18, 2021

2. Safely Remove Hardware - Windows 10

Hi Grant,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have concern about the how to safely removal of external device from Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to provide you valuable suggestion in the feedback app.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type "Windows Feedback" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Then provide your suggestion.

We can also removely safely the external pen drives or external hard drive through below steps.

1. Open File Explorer.

2. It will show the list of Drives available on the computer, then right click on the external drive which you want to remove safely.

3. The click on Eject option from the list.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 18, 2021
  3. Safely Remove Hardware tool

Thank you for the update, Murray. Since you mentioned that you've already tried running the rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll command to no avail, we suggest that you create a shortcut or even a batch file using the same command. Just run
    the shortcut or batch file and see if the Safely Remove Hardware dialog window will appear. To create a shortcut, follow these steps:

• Right-click on the desktop and click on New > Shortcut.
    • In the Type the location of the item box, type in, or copy and paste the following command:
      • rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
    • Click Next and then give it a name like Safely Remove Hardware, and then click on
      Finish.

Keep us in the loop.

Aileen Alf, Apr 18, 2021
  4. Octopolus Win User

I cannot safely remove portable SSD's

No Safely remove notifiction pop up, HAVE Icon

1st suggestion didnt work at all.
    2nd suggestion works but after that when i stop the device the "normal way" its still the same, no "safe to remove device" shows up

Octopolus, Apr 18, 2021
Thema:

I cannot safely remove portable SSD's

1. I cannot safely remove portable SSD's - Similar Threads - cannot safely remove

2. hi I have a portable ssd storage drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hi I have a portable ssd storage drive: hi I have a portable ssd storage drive and its stuck in read only with no media on it but its got 2bg of storage on there i dont know what happened and how I tried to command prompt it but that didnt work i dont know how to change it back i feel like i tried everything almost...
  3. hi I have a portable ssd storage drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hi I have a portable ssd storage drive: hi I have a portable ssd storage drive and its stuck in read only with no media on it but its got 2bg of storage on there i dont know what happened and how I tried to command prompt it but that didnt work i dont know how to change it back i feel like i tried everything almost...
  4. Is it possible to install windows on a portable ssd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to install windows on a portable ssd?: I was thinking about getting the samsung t5 or something to put windows on there. Is that possible or is the portable ssd just there to store files? Kann man auf einer portable ssd windows installieren?
  5. Cannot safely remove external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot safely remove external HDD: I am trying to remove my WD Passport, I am using Windows 10, but also fairly new to it. I am trying to eject it by using the option on the task bar, but get the error message: 'This device is currently in use. Close any programs or Windows that might be using the device and...
  6. Factory reset portable ssd ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Factory reset portable ssd ?: I was wondering if this was possible to do this with my Samsung T5 500gb portable ssd ? Apparently the Samsung Magician software only works for internal SSD's not External/Portable ones. So What would be the easiest way for me to do this ? Thank you. submitted by...
  7. How is a "portable" SSD a great thing?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How is a "portable" SSD a great thing?: Hi, I've recently been noticing alot of "portable" SSD drives that connect via USB. (USB 3.1 I think is what I saw though I'm not sure that that is the minimum port requirement...) From what I understand about hard drives though, I always thought that they were limited by...
  8. How is a "portable" SSD a great thing?

in Windows 10 Support
    How is a "portable" SSD a great thing?: Hi, I've recently been noticing alot of "portable" SSD drives that connect via USB. (USB 3.1 I think is what I saw though I'm not sure that that is the minimum port requirement...) From what I understand about hard drives though, I always thought that they were limited by...
  9. Cannot safely eject my Seagate Expansion Portable Drive

Cannot safely eject my Seagate Expansion Portable Drive: This is the second time I have not been able to safely eject an external drive. The first one now will not load up and asks me to format it. I have not done that because it has documents on it that I need to recover. It was a different brand and I think it was a Passport...
  10. Cannot Safely Remove External Drives

Cannot Safely Remove External Drives: Hello all, In recent weeks, it has become impossible for me to safely remove my external drives. (Mostly, I use Western Digital Passports, Passport Ultras, etc). I am using Windows 10. I close all of my programs and folders. I get the "busy" message and to try again...