Windows 10: I cannot set my default apps for pictures

Discus and support I cannot set my default apps for pictures in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have read numerous posts and questions about default apps, but I still cannot set my default picture viewer/editor on my machine. I have tries... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BrianHarder, Nov 14, 2018.

1. I cannot set my default apps for pictures

I have read numerous posts and questions about default apps, but I still cannot set my default picture viewer/editor on my machine. I have tries setting it in Settings where I can set my Default apps and I choose Corel PhotoPaint-no luck. The box with the plus doesn't accept it. So I scroll down and I have tried setting it using the Choose default apps by file type. When I chjoose .JPG or .JPEG, I choose Corel PhotoPaint and it still stays blank. When I try to Set defaults by app, Corel PhotoPaint doesn't even show up as an option. It is getting extremely annoying as I do not want to use Paint or Paint 3D. I do a lot of photo editing and I can't even choose a basic program to do it with. Strange thing is I used to be able to do this, until IT did the Windows upgrade on my machine last week. Why on earth would you take that ability away? Can anyone offer any help?? Pretty Please!!!!

:)

BrianHarder, Nov 14, 2018

2. How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Set the default App to open .jpg files and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 14, 2018
  3. Cannot set "Calendar" as default app

Hi J.C.Coelho,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 Technical Preview is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below steps and check whether you are able to make the Calendar as default.

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Select Default apps from the left pane.
    • Click on Choose default app by protocol at the bottom.
    • Select the Calendar and choose an app.
    Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Nov 14, 2018
  4. kormath Win User

I cannot set my default apps for pictures

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done I cannot set my default apps for pictures :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

I cannot set my default apps for pictures

1. I cannot set my default apps for pictures - Similar Threads - cannot set default

2. Cannot set default app for .md on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot set default app for .md on Windows 11: I try to set default app for .md as followed : Start > Settings > Apps > Default app > Type in: .mdBut .md file is not found in the list. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-set-default-app-for-md-on-windows-11/32e8d5cb-7485-428d-b4de-9c73c5bf7e6e
  3. Cannot set default app for .md on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot set default app for .md on Windows 11: I try to set default app for .md as followed : Start > Settings > Apps > Default app > Type in: .mdBut .md file is not found in the list. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-set-default-app-for-md-on-windows-11/32e8d5cb-7485-428d-b4de-9c73c5bf7e6e
  4. Cannot change default apps in settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  5. Cannot change default apps in settings

Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  6. Cannot set default app for MP4 on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot set default app for MP4 on Windows 11: I am coming across a strange issue, each time I open an MP4 file I'm asked which application I wish to use. It's incredibly frustrating when going through various files of footage. I attempted to set the default app for the MP4 extension but I don't get this option. I can...
  7. Cannot set default app for MP4 on Windows 11

Cannot set default app for MP4 on Windows 11: I am coming across a strange issue, each time I open an MP4 file I'm asked which application I wish to use. It's incredibly frustrating when going through various files of footage. I attempted to set the default app for the MP4 extension but I don't get this option. I can...
  8. WINDOWS DEFAULT APP FOR PICTURES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WINDOWS DEFAULT APP FOR PICTURES: WINDOWS 10 RECOMMENDATION FOR PICTURE VIEWING IS THE "PHOTO APP" INSTEAD OF THE PREVIOUSLY DEFAULT PHOTO GALLERY APP WHICH WAS MUCH BETTER IN MY OPINION. THE PROBLEM I'M HAVING WITH THE PHOTO APP IS THAT WHEN I CLICK ON A PICTURE IN PICTURE FOLDER IT TAKES ANYWHERE FROM 10 TO...
  9. i cannot open the default photos app of my laptop when i click on any picture (the app...

i cannot open the default photos app of my laptop when i click on any picture (the app...: on my pc the default app of photos is not working It isn't opening when I click on any picture it doesn't open and there is text appeared in which the app didn't start is written please help me how to solve this problem....
  10. Cannot set a portable app as a default app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot set a portable app as a default app in Windows 10: I've just installed Windows 10 Home 64 bit on a new ssd (I put the ISO on an usb drive using MediaCreationTool1803) and I'm installing all the softwares I need. Among these there is "Nulloy", a portable music player app, which I've been using for a long time as default music...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. corel photoppaint 2019 does not show up as a default app