Windows 10: I cannot take full control of folders even as the administrator; how to fix

Discus and support I cannot take full control of folders even as the administrator; how to fix in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Even as the administrator on my Windows 10 Pro 64bit pc and system builder of my pc I cannot change files from read only; it will act like it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Loki1944, Jun 25, 2023.

1. Loki1944 Win User

I cannot take full control of folders even as the administrator; how to fix

Even as the administrator on my Windows 10 Pro 64bit pc and system builder of my pc I cannot change files from read only; it will act like it is applied; to include acting like it is scanning and applying to files in folders; but after exiting the file properties after applying; when I go back to that folder; it is read only again. This is causing me serious issues because this obsession by MS to not let me access my own folders is preventing me from running some games that need to be not read only. Does anyone know how to fix this please?

:)

Loki1944, Jun 25, 2023
  2. STEvil Win User

Fan control for 4870X2 broken in 1.17

Fixed fan controls yes. Annoying profiles yes. Buggy code yes.

I'd rather just set it and forget it as the feature list of RBE suggested it was capable of doing.

STEvil, Jun 25, 2023
  3. Administrator privileges

Hi James,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

From the description of the issue, I understand that you are unable to take full ownership of the files and folders.

I would recommend you to see if you are logged in administrator account, if not then enable it. Please follow the below steps.

Step 1: If this issue is confined to all the files and folders in your computer then,

I would suggest you to enable the built in administrator account.

You need to run the command from an elevated command prompt. To do that follow the below steps:

• Press the Windows key + R from the keyboard to open the
      Run Command Dialog Box.

• Type cmd and right-click on the
      Command Prompt
      result that should appear.

• This opens a list of options at the bottom. Select
      Run as administrator

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt.

• Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:
      net user administrator /active:yes

Step 2: If the issue is confined to particular folder or file then follow the below steps.

Use the following procedure to fix this as long as you don't reboot your machine:

• Sign-in as an administrator on your computer.

• Navigate to the folder where you're having the problem. Right-click and select
      Properties from the pop-up menu.

• Under Properties | Security tab, click the
      Advanced button, then click "Change" owner on the
      Advanced Security Settings dialog (if you are already the owner, do this step anyway!), and in the resulting dialog enter whatever you want the owner to be

• Now a new check-box appears labeled "Replace owner on sub-containers and objects"; check it.

• Also check the box at the bottom "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object."

• Make sure under the Permission entries grid that your current account has Full control (if not Edit or Add your account to be listed with foll control). Finally hit
      Apply. This may take a while.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for any assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 25, 2023
  4. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jun 25, 2023
Thema:

1. I cannot take full control of folders even as the administrator; how to fix - Similar Threads - cannot full control

2. I can't take the full control even though I'm the owner

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't take the full control even though I'm the owner: I'm the only user of my pc win10 and the admin surely. The problem is I can neither delete program files nor make any changes. I've been struggling with it for a long time. I double checked the owner on properties>security>advanced but still can't do anything and there are...
  3. I can't take the full control even though I'm the owner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't take the full control even though I'm the owner: I'm the only user of my pc win10 and the admin surely. The problem is I can neither delete program files nor make any changes. I've been struggling with it for a long time. I double checked the owner on properties>security>advanced but still can't do anything and there are...
  4. I can't take the full control even though I'm the owner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I cannot take full control of folders even as the administrator; how to fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot take full control of folders even as the administrator; how to fix: Even as the administrator on my Windows 10 Pro 64bit pc and system builder of my pc I cannot change files from read only; it will act like it is applied; to include acting like it is scanning and applying to files in folders; but after exiting the file properties after...
  6. I cannot take full control of folders even as the administrator; how to fix

I cannot take full control of folders even as the administrator; how to fix: Even as the administrator on my Windows 10 Pro 64bit pc and system builder of my pc I cannot change files from read only; it will act like it is applied; to include acting like it is scanning and applying to files in folders; but after exiting the file properties after...
  7. Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.: I am trying to delete some text files .txt. I am using Windows 10, latest updates. No matter what I do, I get the message, I don't have the correct permission. I am an administrator on my computer personal home computer. When I look at the security properties of the files, it...
  8. Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.: I am trying to delete some text files .txt. I am using Windows 10, latest updates. No matter what I do, I get the message, I don't have the correct permission. I am an administrator on my computer personal home computer. When I look at the security properties of the files, it...
  9. Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

10. Cannot take full control of files inside WindowsApps Folder in Windows 10!

Cannot take full control of files inside WindowsApps Folder in Windows 10!: As the title says really. I have tried to take control of the WindowsApps Folder so I can edit the ini file for Fallout 4 to change the resolution.It appeared to have worked with no errors, but when I open the game folder and then check the security tab in properties it says...