Windows 10: I cannot uncheck read-only in a folder.

Discus and support I cannot uncheck read-only in a folder. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I need to uncheck the read-only attribute of a specific folder. At the first glance, it works when I hit apply. The problem is, when I close... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BraMi224, Jun 8, 2020.

1. BraMi224 Win User

I cannot uncheck read-only in a folder.

Hello,

I need to uncheck the read-only attribute of a specific folder. At the first glance, it works when I hit apply. The problem is, when I close the properties and check it again, the read-only attribute is checked again. It keeps reverting. I have already done lots of things like using Command Prompt and giving everyone full access in the security tab. But it still doesn't work. I am even the administrator. So I just wanted to ask you if you have or had the same problem, and if you resolved it, how?

:)

BraMi224, Jun 8, 2020
  2. annie Win User

How do I change (Read Only) on Microsoft Word

When I downloaded Windows 10 and used my Microsoft Word it was in (Read Only) and I tried looking up how to solve the problem including looking at properties on my document to uncheck read only, but it was already unchecked. I have tried all the steps suggested.

annie, Jun 8, 2020
  3. Need to uncheck "read only" check box in my documents folder

I installed Civilization VI and was unable to save games. I e-mailed 2K support and they came back with the c:\users\xxxxxx\mydocuments folder needs to have the "read only" function unchecked. They indicated you need a profile with administrator level
    UAC to do this. My account contains the administrator privilege level. However, every time i uncheck the read only feature within the properties box for the my documents folder, when i apply and save and exit and then go back into the folder the folder is
    re-checked "read-only"

The e-mail from 2K support indicates that should this occur contact Microsoft Support, so here i am. I would really like to be able to save my Civilization VI games, so your help is much appreciated on how i get this folder to have "read only" unchecked

Jeffrey Levin, Jun 8, 2020
  4. I cannot uncheck read-only in a folder.

Read only folder

Hi Jim,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you want to change the permissions to certain program/folder?

• Have you signed in through Microsoft/Local account?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content.

Step 1: What is a read-only file or folder?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content. To change a file to read-only, right-click the file, and then click
    Properties. In the Properties dialog box, click the
    General tab, and then select the
    Read-only check box. To make changes to a read-only file, clear the
    Read-only check box, or save the file with a different name.

Step 2: Prevent changes to a file or folder (read-only)

Setting your important or personal files to read-only can help protect them from unintentional or unauthorized changes. When a file is set to read-only, it cannot be changed.

• Right-click the file or folder you want to set to read-only, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the General tab, select the Read-only check box, and then click
      OK.
    If you need to make changes to the file or folder later, you can turn off the read-only setting by clearing the
    Read-only check box.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with this issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

I cannot uncheck read-only in a folder.

1. I cannot uncheck read-only in a folder. - Similar Threads - cannot uncheck read

2. Documents folder cannot uncheck encryption.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder cannot uncheck encryption.: I recently added a file to my documents folder that I wanted to encrypt. However, somehow the entire folder now automatically encrypts any new files I create in it. This is NOT what I want, as I want to be able to access those files from a share on my workgroup.However, when...
  3. Documents folder cannot uncheck encryption.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents folder cannot uncheck encryption.: I recently added a file to my documents folder that I wanted to encrypt. However, somehow the entire folder now automatically encrypts any new files I create in it. This is NOT what I want, as I want to be able to access those files from a share on my workgroup.However, when...
  4. Documents folder cannot uncheck encryption.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Folder attributes revert to read-only after I uncheck that attribute.

Folder attributes revert to read-only after I uncheck that attribute.: So recently I started to receive this error from a library that I use for testing our application. It says I do not have the correct permissions to create or copy files in the specified directory, which is ofcourse clarified when I right click that folder it shows...
  6. Accidentally applied unchecked 'read only' on user folder

Accidentally applied unchecked 'read only' on user folder: Hi All, I wasn't keen on the truncated name given to my user folder by windows so was looking into renaming it which resulted in me accidentally applying an unchecked 'read only' to the folder. Windows then started altering a load of file permissions which I realised was...
  7. All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed: Hello everyone. As the title states, all of my folders throughout windows 10 have set themselves to read only and I am unable to change this back no matter what I try. This is the first time I have wanted to edit something a set of photo's since before Christmas and now I...
  8. Read only folders

Read only folders: Hi I am using windows 10 Home addition. And I am facing two problems. 1. My folders in laptop has become read-only. I have tried to un-check read-only from properties, and as well as from CMD prompt window by using Attrib -R +S\ command. But still no luck. for your...
  9. Cannot change "Read Only" folder attribute.

Cannot change "Read Only" folder attribute.: I need to know how to fix the issue. The issue is "How do you change the folder's attributes so that it will no longer be "Read Only". I've gone into my PowerShell (Admin) and did the whole "attrib -r +s <drive>:\<folder>" thing -- it didn't work. I need some options....
  10. Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder

Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder: I can't remove read-only from a folder. I am the owner of that folder and when I apply the changes it back to read-only. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-remove-read-only-from-folder/ec39ccf0-5dfc-4e6a-8dff-ef4596a83cef"