Windows 10: I cannot use any new Storage Spaces I create from my Storage Pool

Discus and support I cannot use any new Storage Spaces I create from my Storage Pool in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Several years ago I purchased 2 refurbished Hitachi drives, installed them in my PC and used Windows Storage Space feature to configure them as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yu gnomi, Jul 17, 2019.

1. yu gnomi Win User

I cannot use any new Storage Spaces I create from my Storage Pool

Several years ago I purchased 2 refurbished Hitachi drives, installed them in my PC and used Windows Storage Space feature to configure them as a Storage Pool with 1 Simple Space and 1 Mirrored Space like so:
    I cannot use any new Storage Spaces I create from my Storage Pool [​IMG]

This set-up remained the same, even though I removed the drives from inside my PC and put them in a dual HDD enclosure, and also when I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I am able to write to and read from these existing Storage Spaces, without problems.

Now, however, I want to make a third storage space from same pool, to experiment with BitLocker - mainly to see how badly it hurts performance:

After it finishes creating the new Storage Space, it gives me an error:

The new Storage Space appears in Storage Space UI (from Control Panel):

But not in File Explorer:

Which makes it completely useless, as far as I can tell.

Attempting to delete the new Storage Space repeats the same error given when the space was created, attempting to change the Storage Space gives a different error:

I am able to delete these useless spaces via Powershell method found in one of Brink's tutorials, but I would rather be able to make a functional new Storage Space. Anyone know how to fix this?

:)

yu gnomi, Jul 17, 2019

2. create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces

Dear all,

I have connected two USB storage drives, each one of them is 16 GB. I tried to create a new virtual pool but it did not work out.

I thought the size is not enough and it may need extra storage spaces. I connected 64 GB then opened the storage space but I am still unable to create storage space.

I cannot use any new Storage Spaces I create from my Storage Pool f8242173-2fc8-44f9-9db2-f2048944f85d?upload=true.jpg

I cannot use any new Storage Spaces I create from my Storage Pool 983fb3f3-1157-475d-a6af-93225ec5eedc?upload=true.jpg

nightearth, Jul 17, 2019
  3. MikeBar Win User
    When adding a journal for storage spaces, is the journal added to the storage pool or a the storage space?

I'm planning to create 2 storage spaces, 1 for backup and 1 for my main data. I was going to add 1 journal to each storage space, but it looks like the journal applies to the storage pool, not the storage space. Is that the case? if it is, is the better
    approach to add 2 SSD drives to the storage pool as journals? If I add 2 drives as journals, how do I change the friendly name of the drives? Both of my drives that I want to use as journals have the same exact name.

Thanks,

Mike

MikeBar, Jul 17, 2019
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Storage pool

Hello,

Storage Spaces is a technology in Windows and Windows Server that can help protect your data from drive failures. It is conceptually similar to RAID, implemented in software. You can use Storage Spaces to group three or more drives together into a storage pool
    and then use capacity from that pool to create Storage Spaces. These typically store extra copies of your data so if one of your drives fails, you still have an intact copy of your data. If you run low on capacity, just add more drives to the storage pool.

In setting up a storage space, it's recommended that you use a hard drive that doesn't contain important files as the drive will be formatted to mirror the host drive.

For more information regarding Storage Spaces, read this
    FAQ page

Hope the information I provided helps.

Ferdz Amp, Jul 17, 2019
Thema:

1. I cannot use any new Storage Spaces I create from my Storage Pool - Similar Threads - cannot Storage Spaces

2. How to Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10: [ATTACH]With Storage Spaces, you can group two or more drives together in a storage […] This article How to Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. Create New Pool does not work on Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create New Pool does not work on Storage Spaces: No matter what I try, the app "Storage Spaces" cannot create a new pool. I tried reconnecting and disconnecting my USB drives and nothing worked. Do you have any suggestions on how to RAID USB drives together as one? Thanks in advanced....
  4. Deleted a storage pool cant create a new storage pool after format

Deleted a storage pool cant create a new storage pool after format: Hello , i have an issue this the storage pool system i used to have a storage pool with my 2 hdd and SSD together I deleted that before I formatted and deleted the the storage pool tryring to create a new storage pool i keep getting cant prepare drives Close all application...
  5. create storage pool

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    create storage pool: I had a USB storage device that became damaged and unserviceable attached to my laptop I had a storage pool with this storage device . I deleted the storage device and did the necessary steps that i know to unattached the device from the memory. I plugged in a new storage...
  6. Unable to use new Storage Space made from existing Storage Pool

Unable to use new Storage Space made from existing Storage Pool: I posted about this originally at TenForums, where I also posted screen captures of all my error messages. If asked, I could re-post it all here. I have an existing Storage Pool with 2 Storage Spaces - 1 simple and 1 mirrored - which I created several years ago using...
  7. I cannot use any new Storage Spaces I create from my Storage Pool

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I cannot use any new Storage Spaces I create from my Storage Pool: Several years ago I purchased 2 refurbished Hitachi drives, installed them in my PC and used Windows Storage Space feature to configure them as a Storage Pool with 1 Simple Space and 1 Mirrored Space like so: [img] This set-up remained the same, even though I removed the...
  8. create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces

in Windows 10 Customization
    create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces: Dear all, I have connected two USB storage drives, each one of them is 16 GB. I tried to create a new virtual pool but it did not work out. I thought the size is not enough and it may need extra storage spaces. I connected 64 GB then opened the storage space but I am still...
  9. Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10: How to: Create Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 How to Create a Storage Space for Storage Pool in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. This tutorial will show you how to create a storage space for a storage pool in Windows...
  10. Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10: How to: Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10 How to Create a New Pool and Storage Space in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. You can create a simple, mirror (two-way or three-way), or parity storage space: Simple...