Windows 10: I cannot VERIFY my identity or sign in

Discus and support I cannot VERIFY my identity or sign in in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; 'Something has gone wrong' --- as Windows keeps telling me without explaining what to do about it. Fortunately I can still sign in with my PIN, but not... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Clayto222, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Clayto222 Win User

I cannot VERIFY my identity or sign in

'Something has gone wrong' --- as Windows keeps telling me without explaining what to do about it. Fortunately I can still sign in with my PIN, but not otherwise, although when I try to sign in on Edge it says 'your PIN is not available'. I cannot get access to VERIFY. in Settings. When I click 'verify' it just reports something has gone wrong..

:)

Clayto222, Jul 28, 2020

2. “We need to verify your identity”,

I have received this code about a 100 times, either to my phone or my e-mail. It lasts about an hour or two, then I get the “We need to verify your identity” pop-up again.

Two-step sign in is not activated.

I also noticed that on the "My devices" page, my desktop PC is shown with detailed info, like motherboard type, Windows 10 Core (10.0.10586.63), etc.

But my other computer, the laptop, is just listed as "PC". No other information is available, not Windows version, no hardware details, nothing. That laptop is the only one that gets this annoying “We need to verify your identity” despite me having entered
    the code over a hundred times in any available way.

I am quite certain that the fact that not detailed PC or Windows information is closely related to the “We need to verify your identity” problem.

MarcoDeppe, Jul 28, 2020
  3. Verify my identity for my Microsoft account

I want to know what's going on here.

My thread is also in
    Verify my identity for my Microsoft account
    I’ve never signed up, joined them, posted anything or entered anything as a guest either.
    I did not see my username in their list of members.
    When I queried my username to ensure if I am listed as a member, the response was
    “The specified member cannot be found. Please enter a member's entire name.”

Do I need a moderator to check that out?
    There are times I research items on the Internet and I suspect it's possible I have used their website to investigate something I'm interested in but as I've said I've never "I’ve never signed up, joined them, posted anything or entered anything as a guest either."

- - - Updated - - -

Everything went well especially since its an easy process. My problem was I saw too many complaints for carrying out the process and I don't understand why which made me think do I need to know about any gotchas. I'd say that the only gotchas to be concerned about is to pay attention in order to complete the process. There is a 30-day waiting period for the new phone to take effect which is not a problem for me.
    EDIT: I don't know why this ended up as updated in this post but it is what it is.

MeAndMyComputer, Jul 28, 2020
  4. MikeV_413 Win User

Why can't I verify my identity?

I'm literally stuck in a loop here. When I'm in the Your Info settings menu I see that "You need to verify your identity" so I click the "verify" link below.

First, my username/alias automatically pops up but with the error message "That Microsoft account doesn't exist"

It does exist because I just set it up. I continue to next at which point I'm asked for my password. I enter it and receive this error:

Oops, something went wrong. The service isn't available right now - please try again later"

I've tried the virtual agent prompts which suggest I add extra security to verify my account; log in through the browser and add a phone number. Keep getting the same errors when I go back to verify my identity. I try the virtual agent again and now it's
    suggested that I download the Microsoft Authentication app to my phone, I do, and when I try to verify my identity I'll go through the same process;

That account doesn't exist / next / Enter verification code (or password) / Oops

MikeV_413, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

1. I cannot VERIFY my identity or sign in - Similar Threads - cannot VERIFY identity

2. Verifying identity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Verifying identity: Hello there. I have two issues with my PC:1. Am trying to verify my identity to enable passwords and settings sync. I have chosen to receive a code on my phone number registered with MS account so that I can do the verification. I have the phone number right with me here, but...
  3. I can't verify my Identity

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I can't verify my Identity: I can log into my account just fine in the Microsoft website. and I already logged into the Microsoft Store. However, when I was trying to download an app in the Store, it asked me to verify my identity yet again. I put my password and it says the password is wrong, but it's...
  4. Cannot verify identity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot verify identity: Hello!I'm having trouble with my Microsoft account. I cannot log in to certain areas "an illegal state change was requested" or verify my account in Win 10 settings -> Your Info -> Verify. I first noticed when I tried to log into my account in Minecraft and later in the...
  5. Verifying my identity

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Verifying my identity: When selecting Settings/Accounts/Your info I am informed that I need to verify my identity by clicking on a blue hyperlink labelled Verify. However, whenever I do click on this link I am presented with the following message in red:- "Sorry, there's a problem with the...
  6. Cannot verify my identity

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot verify my identity: In windows 10, I cannot verify my identity in the "Your Info" tab under settings in Windows 10 because that account email doesn't exist. I have a Microsoft account but when I try to enter that information to verify I get the error "An illegal state change was requested"...
  7. Cannot Verify Identity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot Verify Identity: Hi, I have tried to Verify my identity through the Settings > Account > Verify, but when i click verify and enter my password i get the following error message: We couldn't sign you in An illegal state change was requested If anyone knows how to resolve this...
  8. I cannot VERIFY my identity

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I cannot VERIFY my identity: My email accounts in Mail need to be fixed, including Outlook, but when I try I get 'something went wrong' and 'Pin not available'. Then I get asked to VERIFY my identity, but I cannot do that either. When I try to get a security code sent , either to my designated phone...
  9. Cannot VERIFY Identity

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot VERIFY Identity: I cannot VERIFY my identity in my account. When I try I get the unhelpful response that 'something' went wrong. I have issues possibly related to this, such as the fact that my main email account which is part of my identity (Outlook) has stopped working and attempts to fix...
  10. Cannot VERIFY Identity

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot VERIFY Identity: I cannot VERIFY my identity in my account. When I try I get the unhelpful response that 'something' went wrong. I have issues possibly related to this, such as the fact that my main email account which is part of my identity (Outlook) has stopped working and attempts to fix...