Windows 10: I cannot view the text of my files or internet addresses

Discus and support I cannot view the text of my files or internet addresses in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, This is my first post here. I believe this is the proper sections to post this, but please excuse me if it belongs elsewhere. My computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EverettEXE, Aug 15, 2017.

1. I cannot view the text of my files or internet addresses

Hello,

This is my first post here. I believe this is the proper sections to post this, but please excuse me if it belongs elsewhere.

My computer just updated Windows 10 about 2 days ago. All was going fine until about 2 hours ago, when I was taking an online exam. My Chrome froze leading to the computer resetting. Once it booted up, a large black window that stretched offscreen to the right appeared without any text. I could close it through my toolbar, so I thought nothing of it. However, it quickly became apparent that all of my desktop icons were missing their text. Any attempt to right click and see a menu was useless; the text was likewise gone. All my files and such through the file explorer are also blank. The icons remain, though I have no idea what is what. I can still type things out, such as this forum post, but I can't do much else. Microsoft Word simply crashes. Prompts to update from iTunes appear without text. The occasional info tab that appears in the bottom right screen appears blank or missing the vast majority of text, showing only A's, W's, R's, and H's. I have no idea what to do. I'm quite illiterate at computers. I would like to back up my files using a WD Passport, but don't know how to, let alone know how to navigate to needed files to do so.

I've reset the laptop, I've tried diagnosing the problems, none are detected, I've tried opening the CMD prompt, to which I can't type into. Nothing seems to help. I'm considering restarting Windows, which says it'll keep my personal files but I would have to reinstall all my apps, including Office. I'd really, REALLY, rather not...

Can anyone help?

:)

EverettEXE, Aug 15, 2017
  2. terry3fy Win User

photos 7230

:smileysad:Hi my wife has nokia 7230 and can receive photos via text,i have same phone but cannot receive photos by text can anyone help please.It just gives me a web address to view on my pc.

terry3fy, Aug 15, 2017
  3. terry3fy Win User
    photos 7230

Hi my wife has nokia 7230 and can receive photos via text,i have same phone but cannot receive photos by text can anyone help please.It just gives me a web address to view on my pc.

terry3fy, Aug 15, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

I cannot view the text of my files or internet addresses

Welcome to the forum. to simple fixes to try first open a admin cmd prompt then type

sfc/scannow
    It may take some time then same prompt type

chkdsk c: /f
    It will say disk locked test on start say yes and reboot

See if they fix it

Samuria, Aug 15, 2017
Thema:

I cannot view the text of my files or internet addresses

1. I cannot view the text of my files or internet addresses - Similar Threads - cannot view text

2. I cannot view my Photos on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot view my Photos on OneDrive: I have raised this issue before but was not fixed.I cannot view my photos on OneDriveI GET THIS ERROR MESSAGE "Something went wrong and we can't sign you in at the moment. Please try again later.The Microsoft account login server has detected too many repeated authentication...
  3. I cannot view my bitlocker keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot view my bitlocker keys: When I try to view my bit locker keys on https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykey?refd=account.microsoft.com I see this:TraceID: yOIsD2uww0KLE4vt.22.68Please help. I cannot start my laptop. It is asking for bit locker key after update....
  4. Cannot view File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot view File Explorer: Hi there, we recently got a new PC setup, it was working fine and still is but i cant seem to access file explorer anymore, I can access it through word but can only open word documents ect, when I try to click on it or any file it opens it and you can hover on the icon and...
  5. Cannot view files in my desktop folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot view files in my desktop folders: Hi all Complete newbie here - suddenly my files have all disappeared from inside my desktop folders. This is really frustrating - I've tried the 'click to show hidden files' etc on the File Explorer app. I know there are still files in the folders as it lists them at the...
  6. Cannot view files that i have taken ownership of

Cannot view files that i have taken ownership of: Hi All, I have some files from a previous PC that i have put onto an external HDD, I have now taken ownership of these files however i still do not have permission to view said files? I have gone through just about all security TABs etc and still cannot figure out with the...
  7. I cannot view photos in file explorer.

I cannot view photos in file explorer.: I cannot view photos in file explorer. Win 10 Says they are write protected. Unchecked read only, changed permissions. This was not happening 3 days ago....
  8. Cannot view files in program files folder

Cannot view files in program files folder: Hi, I am using ExpressVPN - my printer won't work when connected to the VPN so I am trying to specify in the VPN software that the printer bypasses the VPN. This requires me to specify the printer app. I am assuming the printer app (HP Smart) is located in Program...
  9. IP address cannot be configured no internet

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    IP address cannot be configured no internet: This happened to my desktop computer a few months ago and didn't know what happened. My .Coworker suggested that maybe I needed a new I internet card for it since I wasn't able to access my wireless internet. Today on my laptop it came up and I had something come up and say...
  10. Cannot set file explorer file view

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot set file explorer file view: Hi, For some reason my win 10 (64 b) install always shows images in file view instead of Details. When I try to apply the details setting to all folders, that selection is always grayed out. Can someone help? Thanks, Ed 72879