Windows 10: I cannot view the text of my files or internet addresses

Discus and support I cannot view the text of my files or internet addresses in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, This is my first post here. I believe this is the proper sections to post this, but please excuse me if it belongs elsewhere. My computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EverettEXE, Aug 15, 2017.

1. I cannot view the text of my files or internet addresses

Hello,

This is my first post here. I believe this is the proper sections to post this, but please excuse me if it belongs elsewhere.

My computer just updated Windows 10 about 2 days ago. All was going fine until about 2 hours ago, when I was taking an online exam. My Chrome froze leading to the computer resetting. Once it booted up, a large black window that stretched offscreen to the right appeared without any text. I could close it through my toolbar, so I thought nothing of it. However, it quickly became apparent that all of my desktop icons were missing their text. Any attempt to right click and see a menu was useless; the text was likewise gone. All my files and such through the file explorer are also blank. The icons remain, though I have no idea what is what. I can still type things out, such as this forum post, but I can't do much else. Microsoft Word simply crashes. Prompts to update from iTunes appear without text. The occasional info tab that appears in the bottom right screen appears blank or missing the vast majority of text, showing only A's, W's, R's, and H's. I have no idea what to do. I'm quite illiterate at computers. I would like to back up my files using a WD Passport, but don't know how to, let alone know how to navigate to needed files to do so.

I've reset the laptop, I've tried diagnosing the problems, none are detected, I've tried opening the CMD prompt, to which I can't type into. Nothing seems to help. I'm considering restarting Windows, which says it'll keep my personal files but I would have to reinstall all my apps, including Office. I'd really, REALLY, rather not...

Can anyone help?

:)

EverettEXE, Aug 15, 2017
  2. terry3fy Win User

photos 7230

:smileysad:Hi my wife has nokia 7230 and can receive photos via text,i have same phone but cannot receive photos by text can anyone help please.It just gives me a web address to view on my pc.

terry3fy, Aug 15, 2017
  3. terry3fy Win User
    photos 7230

Hi my wife has nokia 7230 and can receive photos via text,i have same phone but cannot receive photos by text can anyone help please.It just gives me a web address to view on my pc.

terry3fy, Aug 15, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

I cannot view the text of my files or internet addresses

Welcome to the forum. to simple fixes to try first open a admin cmd prompt then type

sfc/scannow
    It may take some time then same prompt type

chkdsk c: /f
    It will say disk locked test on start say yes and reboot

See if they fix it

Samuria, Aug 15, 2017
Thema:

I cannot view the text of my files or internet addresses

1. I cannot view the text of my files or internet addresses - Similar Threads - cannot view text

2. I cannot connect to the internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cannot connect to the internet: I cannot connect to the internet with my PC with windows 10. neither for Wi-Fi nor wired, I was checking and my brother's PC is something different than mine, in the if you have a network icon as a monitor and when we disconnect it from the Internet the same icon appears but...
  3. Cannot view files in program files folder

Cannot view files in program files folder: Hi, I am using ExpressVPN - my printer won't work when connected to the VPN so I am trying to specify in the VPN software that the printer bypasses the VPN. This requires me to specify the printer app. I am assuming the printer app (HP Smart) is located in Program...
  4. I cannot get on the internet or open my apps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I cannot get on the internet or open my apps: I cannot get on the internet or open my apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-get-on-the-internet-or-open-my-apps/b24a743c-105a-449a-838c-c5388fdd0ce6
  5. IP address cannot be configured no internet

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    IP address cannot be configured no internet: This happened to my desktop computer a few months ago and didn't know what happened. My .Coworker suggested that maybe I needed a new I internet card for it since I wasn't able to access my wireless internet. Today on my laptop it came up and I had something come up and say...
  6. cannot view JPG files Win-10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    cannot view JPG files Win-10: In RE: jpg files, not all of them on the HDD.. Most of the older ones that were PHOTOs or scanned files during the win-7 system before upgrade. Get error message trying to view picture files or scanned files. "It looks like you do not have permission to view this file"...
  7. Why can't I view my browsing history in Internet Explorer?

Why can't I view my browsing history in Internet Explorer?: Why can't I view my browsing history in Internet Explorer? I'm using Windows 10. The box beside Delete History Upon Exiting is NOT checked. The only History option under Favorites is Search History but that doesn't do anything - I can't search browsing history either....
  8. I cannot connect to internet except through a static IP address - please help

I cannot connect to internet except through a static IP address - please help: I have a lenovo yoga 710 and I think I had a virus on it that was installed through onedrive. I know this because I have not transferred any documents from my old computer, but after opening onedrive, and downloading some pictures, the background of my yoga changed to the...
  9. I searched Internet for reading view on IE11

in Browsers and Email
    I searched Internet for reading view on IE11: I searched Internet for reading view on IE11. It says it has it but I can't see it. As I have found IE11 to be faster than chrome and Firefox. Does it have it? And if it does how do I enable it? 28821
  10. Cannot set file explorer file view

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot set file explorer file view: Hi, For some reason my win 10 (64 b) install always shows images in file view instead of Details. When I try to apply the details setting to all folders, that selection is always grayed out. Can someone help? Thanks, Ed 72879