Windows 10: I can't access my external drive on my main PC from my laptop that has bitlocker enabled...

Discus and support I can't access my external drive on my main PC from my laptop that has bitlocker enabled... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can't access my external drive on my main PC from my laptop that has bitlocker enabled but I can from other laptops on my private network. I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DjehutiAsar, Mar 29, 2020.

1. I can't access my external drive on my main PC from my laptop that has bitlocker enabled...

I can't access my external drive on my main PC from my laptop that has bitlocker enabled but I can from other laptops on my private network. I can't access my external drive on my main PC from my laptop that has bitlocker enabled but I can from other laptops on my private network.

They are all running Windows 10.

:)

DjehutiAsar, Mar 29, 2020

2. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD

Keitaro

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Heed the advice of the software, you must disable BitLocker before cloning. This is highly recommend if you ever want to get access to the drive.

There is nothing wrong with having to re-enable it after restoring the clone.

Step 1: disable BitLocker.

Step 2: clone drive

Step 3: restore the cloned image to the new drive.

Step 4: Re-Enable BitLocker.

Andre for Directly, Mar 29, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

I can't access my external drive on my main PC from my laptop that has bitlocker enabled...

Remove BitLocker for external drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to disable BitLocker for the external hard drive. However, we would like to know if you are able to access data from the external hard drive.

In the meantime, you may refer the steps mentioned below to disable BitLocker:

1. Type Command Prompt in the search bar on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type manage-bde –off X: and hit
      Enter
      . (Replace X with the drive letter of the external hard drive)

Meanwhile, you may also post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to address your query.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

I can't access my external drive on my main PC from my laptop that has bitlocker enabled...

1. I can't access my external drive on my main PC from my laptop that has bitlocker enabled... - Similar Threads - can't access external

2. My drive locked by bitlocker and can't access to my data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My drive locked by bitlocker and can't access to my data: Recently, I tried to install W11 on my Surface Pro 3. After installation, I found a lock on D drive and realized lately that my Microsoft Organization Account that I have the recovery code on it is lost and non-accessible after my organization has deleted my mail from its...
  3. My drive locked by bitlocker and can't access to my data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My drive locked by bitlocker and can't access to my data: Recently, I tried to install W11 on my Surface Pro 3. After installation, I found a lock on D drive and realized lately that my Microsoft Organization Account that I have the recovery code on it is lost and non-accessible after my organization has deleted my mail from its...
  4. My drive locked by bitlocker and can't access to my data

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. My drive locked by bitlocker and can't access to my data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Bitlocker has locked my hard drive I can't access its contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker has locked my hard drive I can't access its contents: When I turned my computer off and then turned it back on, bitlocker recovery asked for my password. I don't have the password he wants at the moment, and there is no video on the internet that I haven't watched, about how to find my password. In the field where it wants my...
  7. My external drive has failed and it's locked with BitLocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My external drive has failed and it's locked with BitLocker: My external drive has failed mechanical problems and it's locked with BitLocker. The repair service provider is asking me for the 48 digit recovery key, but, I only have the password. How can I get the 48 digit key? I also have the disk ID...
  8. Unable to access shared drive from my main computer from my laptops.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access shared drive from my main computer from my laptops.: Hello, I just recently reformatted my system. A complete wipe and reinstall to start fresh. Recently changed jobs that was BYOD, to a non-BYOD company so I wanted a clean slate on my hardware. Long story short, I have a USB Raid Encloser that handles my backups and...
  9. Can't access external hard drives from my laptop or my notebook.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access external hard drives from my laptop or my notebook.: Hello all. I have just read a post but it does not reach my situation, quite. I have an ASUS notebook and an ASUS laptop and a couple of external hard drives which I needed to add storage space to help with Windows updates, on the notebook because it's got very limited...
  10. Access to an external drive on my laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access to an external drive on my laptop: I don't use a login password on my laptop and I believe I need to become the administrator to access an external drive that is currently showing an "access denied" message. This is a second hand machine and I'm not the most computer savvy....