Windows 10: i can't access some folders on my external drive. it says i don't permission to view this...

Discus and support i can't access some folders on my external drive. it says i don't permission to view this... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi All, i can't access to some folders on my external drive. it says i don't permission to view this folder. Can someone please help?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PeterK606, Oct 2, 2019.

1. PeterK606 Win User

i can't access some folders on my external drive. it says i don't permission to view this...

Hi All,

i can't access to some folders on my external drive. it says i don't permission to view this folder.

Can someone please help?

:)

PeterK606, Oct 2, 2019

2. “You don`t currently have permission to access this folder"

Click Start > File Explorer > This PC

Right-click on your External Drive, and choose Properties.

Go to Security tab.

Click Advanced, then Change Permissions.

Highlight the user, and click Edit.

Choose This folder, subfolders and files under Applies to:.

Choose Full Control under Basic Permissions.

Hit OK.

OR

Reset the drive permission:

Do this from the command line:

Open Start, type: CMD

Right click CMD

Click Run as administrator

Type in at the prompt OR Copy and Paste these one at a time : (Hit enter after each)

TAKEOWN /F D:\ /R /D Y

Once you have taken ownership, then you have to set the permissions; for this, you use ICACLS:

ICACLS "D:\" /reset /T

Note: D:\ would represent the name of your drive.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 2, 2019
  3. “You don`t currently have permission to access this folder"

I know this question has been asked many times before as I`ve read all the answers and with my very limited knowledge I cannot understand many of the procedures to resolve the problem.

I can read all the files on the External Drive but the error message appears as soon as I click to open a folder or document.

I had to re-install the entire contents of my old PC, it failed, to a new one and at first access to the drive was there, the next it wasn`t. All I was doing was re-installing the software I had been using on the old PC, and moving items to the drive
    now causing problems. It was still working at that point.

I did a system restore but that achieved nothing except having to reload all my programs.

Is there someone out there who can provide a simple step by step, without using any jargon, to help an idiot resolve this very frustrating problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

John

John H 4054, Oct 2, 2019
  4. newtekie1 Win User

i can't access some folders on my external drive. it says i don't permission to view this...

You don't have permissions to save in this folder

Which folder are you trying to save to?

If you aren't using the true administrator there will be certainly places you can't save to, or even access unless you manually change the security permissions to allow yourself access.

newtekie1, Oct 2, 2019
Thema:

1. i can't access some folders on my external drive. it says i don't permission to view this... - Similar Threads - can't access folders

2. It says I don't have access to my external disk drive, I checked the permissions and I have...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    It says I don't have access to my external disk drive, I checked the permissions and I have...: I travelled with my external disk drive some days ago and now that I plug it in, it says "E:\ is not accessible, access refused", I tried changing the letter for it and it changed nothing, I checked for viruses and got everything removed but still nothing, anything I could do...
  3. It says I don't have access to my external disk drive, I checked the permissions and I have...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It says I don't have access to my external disk drive, I checked the permissions and I have...: I travelled with my external disk drive some days ago and now that I plug it in, it says "E:\ is not accessible, access refused", I tried changing the letter for it and it changed nothing, I checked for viruses and got everything removed but still nothing, anything I could do...
  4. It says I don't have access to my external disk drive, I checked the permissions and I have...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. windows is now saying I don't have permission to access a network drive I use daily.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows is now saying I don't have permission to access a network drive I use daily.: Overnight a network drive I use daily to access a work program now says windows cannot access it and that I do not have permission and to contact the network administrator to request permission. I'm using Windows 10 Pro. I have used this computer like this for 5 or so yrs. I...
  6. I can't access the screensaver manager. It says I don't have permission

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't access the screensaver manager. It says I don't have permission: I can't access the screensaver manager. It says I don't have permission https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-access-the-screensaver-manager-it-says-i/22edcd86-1556-48eb-a7ba-fb65c496f3fa
  7. "You don't have permission to access this folder" I cant access my USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "You don't have permission to access this folder" I cant access my USB: I can't use my USBs and hard drives because of this. Every time I try to connect USBs and hardrive the same message keeps coming up. I've tried to fix it "following step by step by step tutorials from everywhere but it just won't get fixed. I'm sick and tired of it. I need...
  8. External hard drive says I don't have access

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive says I don't have access: I have a brand new surface pro 7 and when I tried to open my removable hard drive it says I don't have access and I don't understand the instructions on how to gain access. Please help or let me know where to go for help. Thanks...
  9. I can't get permission to open an external drive

I can't get permission to open an external drive: Somebody gave me an old iOmega external drive with some files I need. I get a "You don't currently have permission to access this folder" error message when I try to open it. I click Continue, Sharing Tab (Properties has no Security Tab), Advanced Sharing, Full Control,...
  10. I don't have permission my external hard drive.

I don't have permission my external hard drive.: I can't download or change anything inside my hard drive. Everytime i try to do so i get the Message "You dont have permission to do this" even though i am admin on my PC. This is the 2nd time i have this problem, last time i just formated the Whole disk and it worked fine...