Windows 10: I cant backup

Discus and support I cant backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was able to backup my system and I use an external hard drive WD Passport. Can you help please.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JoseDelgado7, Sep 22, 2018.

1. I cant backup

I was able to backup my system and I use an external hard drive WD Passport. Can you help please.

:)

JoseDelgado7, Sep 22, 2018
  2. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/back_up.html

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Sep 22, 2018
  3. Bokenzhe Win User
    Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• I cant backup [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Sep 22, 2018
  4. I cant backup

Backup skipped

Hi Ken,

For us to better isolate your concern, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are your backing up files or creating a system image?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest deleting the backup you created and create a new one. Click this
    article
    and follow the steps on how to create a backup.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Martin Bar, Sep 22, 2018
Thema:

I cant backup

1. I cant backup - Similar Threads - cant backup

2. Image Restore cant see the backup file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image Restore cant see the backup file: I created a system image a few months back due to problems with my hard drive, low and beyond it eventually died but now when I try to restore the backup image to the new hard drive which is the same make and model as before the PC isn't seeing the external hard drive that...
  3. Image Restore cant see the backup file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Image Restore cant see the backup file: I created a system image a few months back due to problems with my hard drive, low and beyond it eventually died but now when I try to restore the backup image to the new hard drive which is the same make and model as before the PC isn't seeing the external hard drive that...
  4. Image Restore cant see the backup file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I cant access my windows backup hard-drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cant access my windows backup hard-drive: Hello, I've looked and looked and looked for the solution to this problem I'm having. Let me break down what my issue is. I bought my HP laptop a year ago. When I bought the laptop and set it up, I noticed it had organization limits on it. I was not able to use location...
  6. Tried everything! Cant add a driver letter/initialise disk for Seagate Backup Plus

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Tried everything! Cant add a driver letter/initialise disk for Seagate Backup Plus: Hi, I've tried all the troubleshooting disk management ideas; the Seagate Backup Plus lights up but doesn't show up on windows. So in Disk Management everything is fine for windows 10 {I'm using an Asus x555} but the Seagate doesn't have a name and I can't put one in....
  7. How can I backup data from a drive if I cant launch to windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I backup data from a drive if I cant launch to windows?: So I can’t launch into windows because of a small error, and the tech dude I brought it to says I have to back up my data and reinstall windows and wants 120$ for it, but I have a windows thumb already and know how to reinstall it, could I just plug the drive into a friends...
  8. Cant backup Desktop, Documents and Pictures using Windows 10 File History

Cant backup Desktop, Documents and Pictures using Windows 10 File History: Windows 10 backup is not allowing me to backup my documents, desktop and pictures folders from "This PC". These folder are already backed up in OneDrive, but I want to create a differential backup so I can search back in time. I try to "add folder" in Settings > Backup >...
  9. Need a 1TB backup restored from OneDrive to a local NAS HDD and cant copy from OneDrive due...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need a 1TB backup restored from OneDrive to a local NAS HDD and cant copy from OneDrive due...: Hi there, In order to work with Lightroom directory tree from a previous failed NAS which was backed up to OneDrive I need the ca 1TB pictures restored to a like structure on a new NAS. When trying to Restore / copy picture files from my local Onedrive folder to an external...
  10. cant create backup as external hard drive is not recognized as "removable"

cant create backup as external hard drive is not recognized as "removable": Hi there, I am at my wits end... I got a new laptop recently (HP Zbook 15 G4 - 64 bit) with Windows 10pro as I lost my old one in a house fire (with all the backups to) - so I have been trying to configure backup settings - one drive and external hard drive as this laptop...