Windows 10: I can't change compatibility mode

Discus and support I can't change compatibility mode in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm trying to run a very old program on a brand new laptop with Windows 10 Home. I get the message "This app can't run on your PC." That's surprising... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LBoocker, Jul 11, 2021.

1. LBoocker Win User

I can't change compatibility mode

I'm trying to run a very old program on a brand new laptop with Windows 10 Home. I get the message "This app can't run on your PC." That's surprising because I installed and ran the program on a different PC running Windows 10 not the exact same version. BTW, the program I'm trying to run is 32 bit and previously ran on Windows 7 and XP before that.Anyway, I went to the properties for this program and tried setting it to compatibility mode for XP Service Pack 3. It still won't run but now I can't change anything in the compatibility tab. The box for compatibility mode is grayed out as i

:)

LBoocker, Jul 11, 2021

2. error messages "The program was started in compatibility mode. As this this can lead to undesirable effects, you should disable the compatibility settings"

Hi Harold,

I suggest you to manually change the Compatibility Mode Settings
    and check the behavior.

Please follow the steps below:

• Right click on the app/program.
    • select Properties.
    • Click the Compatibility tab.
    • Uncheck the box Run this program in compatibility mode for and also uncheck all the boxes below.
    • Click/tap on the Change settings for all users button.
    • Again, uncheck the box Run this program in compatibility mode for
      and also uncheck all the boxes below.
    • Click on ok, then Apply and then again ok.

Please keep us updated with the status of the pop ups to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Jul 11, 2021
  3. Trying to play a VERY old game in "Compatibility Mode": Wrath of the Gods

Hello Bowyer,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums. We are glad to help you.

Install app in Compatibility mode

I would suggest you to install the game in compatibility mode and check: Follow these steps:

• Download the game from the manufacturer’s website.

• Right-click on the game setup file and click on
      ‘properties’.

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
      ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 10 from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists

Hope it helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Jul 11, 2021
  4. Arun B J Win User

Recent upgrade to windows 10 on Toshiba Satelite E205 laptop. Are there known compatibility issues?

Hi Michael,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check, if it helps:

Method 1: Troubleshoot

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your touch pad. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter

I suggest you to install the latest drivers from the manufacturer web site and install, if the issue persist install the drivers in compatibility mode.

Method 2: Compatibility mode

I would suggest you to install the latest available drivers on manufacturer's website in compatibility mode.

Follow the steps below on how to install driver in compatibility mode:

1. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the driver and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jul 11, 2021
Thema:

1. I can't change compatibility mode - Similar Threads - can't change compatibility

2. Can't change BIOS mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't change BIOS mode: Hi,My laptop's SMBIOS version is 2.7, so it should support UEFI and Secure boot. However, there is no option to change the BIOS mode in the BIOS setup. So I'm stuck with Legacy boot and a MBR disk. Does anyone know how to change the BIOS mode?Thank you in...
  3. Visio in compatibility mode...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Visio in compatibility mode...: How can I get rid of the compatibility mode...? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/visio-in-compatibility-mode/abf65fdf-6ae9-4e84-b640-abd62d378e14
  4. Compatibility mode - can't turn it off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Compatibility mode - can't turn it off: Hi! I have a question about compatibility mode. Every single game client, or game show me after opening and running the program, that I'm on the compatibility mode. If I look closer to compatibility mode to those programs/games, i see every box unchecked (so no...
  5. compatability mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    compatability mode: I am trying to get Winamp to work but I keep getting a popup thaat says winamp is running in compatability mode. however, when I right click on the winamp icon, select properties, and select the compatability tab the "run in compatability box is not checked". I desperately...
  6. Compatibility mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compatibility mode: I keep getting a window popup saying this program started in compatibility mode ...where is it and how do I turn it off? 14680
  7. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: I'm doing some research on an old application that I'm taking care of. As of Windows 8, it works if the Windows compatibility mode is se to "Windows 7" and I confirmed it also works if I set the compatibility mode on Windows 10. That problem I'm facing is that, I need to...
  8. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: Hi I have had programs in the past that I love to either use or games to play even some older MS games and they refuse to load on new operating systems. Why is it when I try and run the program in Compatibility mode for say XP it refuses to run the program. I don't...
  9. Do I have to change the Compatibility Support Mode for UEFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do I have to change the Compatibility Support Mode for UEFI?: Assuming I want to clean install Redstone 2 next month in UEFI mode, do I have to change the default settings below? [img] 79415
  10. Change Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps in Windows 10: How to: Change Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps in Windows 10 How to Change Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps in Windows 10 Most apps created for earlier versions of Windows will work in this version of Windows, but some older apps might run poorly or not at all....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant change compatibility settings

2. cant change compatibility settings windows 10

3. oppw 4 cant change compatibility settings