Windows 10: I can't change file ownership

Discus and support I can't change file ownership in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Whenever I try to change file ownership for a file it doesn't let me. Changing permissions is also not possible.What I would like to do is change the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kexzis, Mar 19, 2024.

1. Kexzis Win User

I can't change file ownership

Whenever I try to change file ownership for a file it doesn't let me. Changing permissions is also not possible.What I would like to do is change the file permissions, but whenever i do it asks me to provide administrator permission, even though i am the administrator and all permissions are allowed. Deleting, editing and opening things does not work.Edit: Going to the security tab in properties to change permissions is not possible since the tab is not there. The file in question is on a USB drive

:)

Kexzis, Mar 19, 2024
  2. Gino Des Win User

Changed Ownership of C:\ and Can't Fix

Hi Greg,

Let's get this issue sorted. To better assist you with this concern, we would like to know the following information:

• Which account is the new owner of the C drive?
    • Are you using an account with administrator rights?
    • Have you tried changing the ownership back to yourself?

In the meantime, let's try taking back the ownership by following the steps provided by
    BurrWalnut in the following thread:
    Is there a way to take ownership of my C drive?

You may also perform a repair upgrade using a
    Creators Update ISO
    file. This method can repair broken operating system files while preserving your files, settings and installed applications. For more information and steps on how to perform a repair upgrade, kindly refer to the wiki article created
    by Andre Da Costa on the following link:
    How to perform a repair upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Mar 19, 2024
  3. ownership

To take ownership of a file or folder

Open File Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.

Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

(Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 19, 2024
  4. Bree Win User

Is it harmful to change ownership of a file?

I'd agree. Try anything but taking ownership, the consequences are unpredictable.

If you can find no other way, then as a last resort take ownership just long enough to add your user account to the permissions. Then give ownership back to TrustedInstaller straight away. The name you'll need to type in the 'Change owner' dialog is: NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller

Thema:

1. I can't change file ownership - Similar Threads - can't change file

2. I can't change file ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't change file ownership: Whenever I try to change file ownership for a file it doesn't let me. Changing permissions is also not possible.What I would like to do is change the file permissions, but whenever i do it asks me to provide administrator permission, even though i am the administrator and all...
  3. I can't change file ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't change file ownership: Whenever I try to change file ownership for a file it doesn't let me. Changing permissions is also not possible.What I would like to do is change the file permissions, but whenever i do it asks me to provide administrator permission, even though i am the administrator and all...
  4. Why can't I change the ownership of my own file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I change the ownership of my own file?: I am trying to change the permission of the Scan folder in the Windows Defender, but my access is denied. I tried to follow the instructions, but non would work....
  5. Why can't I change the ownership of my own file?

Why can't I change the ownership of my own file?: I am trying to change the permission of the Scan folder in the Windows Defender, but my access is denied. I tried to follow the instructions, but non would work....
  6. cant change the file folder ownership

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cant change the file folder ownership: I cannot save my games to my D drive, my D drive has 400Gb available storage, is there a workaround https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-the-file-folder-ownership/bcea7aaa-b63e-43a5-a61f-4a760d7f4fec
  7. cant change the file folder ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant change the file folder ownership: I cannot save my games to my D drive, my D drive has 400Gb available storage, is there a workaround https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-the-file-folder-ownership/bcea7aaa-b63e-43a5-a61f-4a760d7f4fec
  8. cant change the file folder ownership

9. change ownership

in Windows 10 Customization
    change ownership: I am giving a friend my old laptop how do I change the name of the computer and change the lock screen and create a new admin acct? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-ownership/3b3af5b9-868f-473e-8705-9126a83dc9d6
  10. Is it harmful to change ownership of a file?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it harmful to change ownership of a file?: Hello, I have a question regarding taking ownership of an executable that is in the WindowsApps folder in Program Files. I want to take ownership of it so I can make it launch at startup every time I boot up Windows. That's because for some reason, putting a shortcut of...