Windows 10: I can't change my default app save location

Discus and support I can't change my default app save location in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; i tried to change my default app save location from my C to my D drive, whenever i try this a message pops up saying "This drive has apps from another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JoasVonkeman, Jan 3, 2021.

1. I can't change my default app save location

i tried to change my default app save location from my C to my D drive, whenever i try this a message pops up saying "This drive has apps from another device. To use this drive, the other apps must first be deleted. Do you want to continue?" When i click no nothing happens and when i click yes it gives me error code 0x80070005

:)

JoasVonkeman, Jan 3, 2021

2. Default location to save documenets

Hi Frank,

Sorry for the delayed response.

From your recent description, it seems like the issue is confined to Word documents. If true, then follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Launch Word application.
    • Go to File Menu and select Options.
    • In the pop-up dialog box, towards the left pane, select Save.
    • Under Default location file, browse the location you want to save.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Jan 3, 2021
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Making HDD as default saving location instead of sdd for files

Hi Kiefer,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

I suggest you to try the following steps to change default saving locations. Check if it helps.

• Click on Start and click on
      Settings.

• Open System and click on
      Storage in the left-pane.

• Under the section Save Locations in the
      right-pane, select the appropriate location to which you want to save files.

• Restart the computer and check if it helps.
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Jan 3, 2021
  4. I can't change my default app save location

Default Save Locations

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

By default we cannot change the installation location for Apps, however it can be changed through registry changes.

I would suggest you to make the changes if you are comfortable working with registry because if we make any small mistakes, we can make the computer unbootable.

You need to be logged in as the administrator to perform this actions:

• Press Windows keys +R, type regedit and hit Enter.
    • Go to this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx
    On the right-side, double-click on PackageRoot and change the default value data to the location of your other drive/external drive. For instance, if drive letter is “G”, then enter G:\ in the value data box, and then click Ok button
    to set your drive as default location for apps.

We suggest you create a new folder under the root of your drive and enter the path of that folder so that you can use the drive to store other files as well. That is, create a folder named
    WinApps on the drive, enter G:\WinApps (replace “G” with drive’s letter) as the location in value data box.

From now on, whenever you install a new app from the Store, Windows 10 will install them on the other drive.

NOTE: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that
    you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number
    to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jan 3, 2021
Thema:

I can't change my default app save location

1. I can't change my default app save location - Similar Threads - can't change default

2. Changing the default save location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the default save location: I wanna change mt default save location on my pc since im gonna download games from the microsoft store from the xbox game pass. So i need to change my default save location on my pc for my apps. But when i try to change to my other hard drive it tells me that i have apps on...
  3. Unable to install and change default app save location.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to install and change default app save location.: Hi, I have an issue where I am unable to install games from the microsoft store on my D: drive. When I got to the store and install try to install a game I will select my D: drive and press install but nothing will happen.I then tried to change deafult install location of...
  4. I can't change the location new apps are saved to

I can't change the location new apps are saved to: When I try to change the location to my hard drive, it says that there are apps from another device on it and that they have to be deleted. I click yes to delete them, but then it just says that it couldnt change the default location and gives me the error code 0x80070005. I...
  5. Can't change default apps location

Can't change default apps location: Trying to download games from xbox game pass, horrendously designed and it needs me to change my default apps saving point for some reason cause you're still living in 2003, won't let me do that just keep getting these errors [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  6. Can't change app save location

Can't change app save location: Hello, I recently needed to reinstall my Windows 10. I used to have my applications saved on my D: drive instead of C: Since I have reinstalled Windows I can't change it back to D: [ATTACH][ATTACH] I've heard it doesn't work because I still have my old apps in that,...
  7. Change default save location to Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default save location to Desktop: For a Windows 10 laptop, is there a way to change the default save location from Onedrive to the PC Desktop? I don’t like to save Word files on the cloud, especially as some documents are sensitive. Every time I click ‘save’ on a new document, I always have to click a few...
  8. Changing default save location for apps

Changing default save location for apps: Problem: Changing default drive for new content. Attempting to change from C to D drives primary to secondary drives First message: Delete other apps? This drive has apps from another device, to use this drive delete them. Click yes, Error code 0x80070005 comes up. I have...
  9. Changing Default Save Location

Changing Default Save Location: Just upgraded SSD and installed fresh version of Windows 10 version 1909. My SSD is the C: drive. Prior to the SSD upgrade, files such as Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures were saved to my D: Hard Drive. Example: D: >Gagnon >Documents In other words my D:...
  10. Windows forced to change default app save location, can't change back.

Windows forced to change default app save location, can't change back.: Hey, A little while ago when I tried to install Reach through the Microsoft play store it forced me to change my default saved location from my D: drive where all my other games Sea of Thieves, Forza, ect. are located to my S: drive, my windows drive only. I don't know why...