Windows 10: I can't change what drives apps are installed to by default

Discus and support I can't change what drives apps are installed to by default in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Whenever I do it it tells me that I need to delete some apps from another device and when I say yes I get an error code 0x80070005. I've tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FergusTowler, Aug 7, 2020.

1. I can't change what drives apps are installed to by default

Whenever I do it it tells me that I need to delete some apps from another device and when I say yes I get an error code 0x80070005. I've tried enteringicacls D:\ /T /C /RESET and other commands. Any Advice?

:)

FergusTowler, Aug 7, 2020

2. Windows 10 1803 default app change bug

When right clicking a file and going to "Open With", no matter what file it is, I can't change its default. The box is checked, and the app doesn't change.

This is also true of right clicking and going to "Properties". When I click change, the default doesn't change.

This is happening to me on 3 computers now. Steps to reproduce? I could probably do it by:

Installing Windows 8.1, and upgrading to 10 with the media creation tool.

This does not happen with a fresh install from a USB with Windows 10.

Don't tell me to go to "Settings" and change the defaults. The file type list is horrible, and some of my file types are not listed. The registry is not an option on multiple PCs as it is not just one file type. It is ALL file types. No matter what one I
    try, it's always the same result.

Are there any suggestions? I know how to navigate computer, so please do not suggest that I need to go to Settings

> Apps > Default Apps. These options are far from optimized, and they don't have what I need. There isn't even an option to browse for an app to select defaults for when the app doesn't show up in the list.

A quick fix would be nice. Even a simple item in the registry? I could potentially have this problem on all 75 computers in this building as they all started at 8.1 before going to 10. I can't reinstall Windows on every machine. That's ridiculous.

Abraham Hadley, Aug 7, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

I can't change what drives apps are installed to by default [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

Bree, Aug 7, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

I can't change what drives apps are installed to by default

Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Hi, I don't have Acrobat installed. With Sumatra as my default pdf reader, that hyperlink to a pdf docoument opens in.. yes.. Sumatra. Changing to Edge:

the hyperlink opens in... yes.. Edge.

If, as seems the case, Bluebeam is correctly associated with pdf files, I can't say why the hyperlink fails. Your guess about the protocol may be right- I don't know. If you could make any change to that to test that theory, as you suggest, that would help.

If you wish to view the relevant registry key, a convenient way to get there is via free Filetypesman - a rt click option.

dalchina, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

I can't change what drives apps are installed to by default

1. I can't change what drives apps are installed to by default - Similar Threads - can't change drives

2. Changing default app location, what will I lose?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing default app location, what will I lose?: I have the Game Pass on PC and wish to change my default app location as that particular drive has more space. It mentions that it will need to delete other apps to change the default location. What exactly is being deleted? It is my OS drive and has all my game...
  3. Can't change default apps location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change default apps location: Trying to download games from xbox game pass, horrendously designed and it needs me to change my default apps saving point for some reason cause you're still living in 2003, won't let me do that just keep getting these errors [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  4. Can't change Microsoft Apps installation Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change Microsoft Apps installation Drive: I played Forza Horizon 4 on my PC. I did a regular reinstall (I do it every 3 months), but I didn't uninstall the game, so the contents of the game was still on my D drive afterwards. I deleted the WindowsApps folder's content on the mentioned drive (I gave permissions to...
  5. Can't change drive icons to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't change drive icons to default: Hi, So I wanted to check my hard drive and my ssd health and i downloaded HardDiskSentinel. I saw what I wanted and noticed thad my drive icons have been changed. I decided to delete the program and after I deleted it the default drive icons turned into a blank paper with a...
  6. Cannot Change Default App Install Drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Cannot Change Default App Install Drive: I had some Microsoft Store/Xbox games installed onto my D: drive, however I ended up having to reinstall Windows on my C: drive. Now the games do not show up under the MS Store or the Xbox App. Using WinDirStat I was able to see however that they were still installed and...
  7. Can't change which drive apps are installed on

Can't change which drive apps are installed on: Every time I try to change this in the settings, it gives me the error code 0x80070005, which I've gone through every thread to try and fix, and I still am getting the error. Please, someone, give me a fix....
  8. Can't Change Default App For PDF

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Change Default App For PDF: I have tried everything I found online about this & Windows still will not let me change the default app for opening pdf files. I want to use Libre Office Draw but it is not on the list of options. They want me to choose an app from the Windows store. It does not give me an...
  9. Default App Can't Change

Default App Can't Change: Recently I have some .swf files in my computer, and currently it can be played with GOM Player. Now, I wanted to change the default app for opening the swf files, to Adobe Flash Player, that was part of Adobe Animate. But strangely, it won't allow me to change at all - it...
  10. I can't change the default app for a type

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't change the default app for a type: I can't change the default app of type .hdl files from notepad++ to visual studio code (not the one from the store, and I have no intends of downloading that one) using settings. I have tried the DISM system repair and it didn't help. I cannot change the default apps from the...