Windows 10: I cant connect to public network. It doesnt ask for password

Discus and support I cant connect to public network. It doesnt ask for password in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I cant connect to public network. It says SSL certificate error and google says your network is not private. It should ask for password on this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ana_091, May 14, 2019.

1. Ana_091 Win User

I cant connect to public network. It doesnt ask for password

I cant connect to public network. It says SSL certificate error and google says your network is not private. It should ask for password on this network, but it doesnt. It connects, but I cant go online and there is a yellow triangle on internet access ikon. I tried lot of things which I googled. Nothing helps.

:)

Ana_091, May 14, 2019

2. Windows 10 Pro connected to Public Network - No prompt for password via web browser

Hi Phil,

A pop-up blocker may interrupt you from connecting to a public network. Turning it off may help you resolve your concern. If you're using Microsoft Edge, kindly click Setting> View advanced settings> toggle off the Block pop-ups. To isolate your concern,
    kindly answer the following:

• Which web browser are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Did you get an error message?

Meanwhile, please follow these steps:

• Run the Internet Connections troubleshooter. Type troubleshoot in Cortana> Click Internet Connections> Run the troubleshooter> Restart your computer.
    • Run the Network Adapter troubleshooter. Type troubleshoot in Cortana> Click Network Adapter> Run the troubleshooter> Restart your computer.
    • Update the network driver in the Device Manager. Open Device Manager> Expand Network Adapter>
      Right click on the wireless driver and click on Update driver software.
    Note: The automated troubleshooter will try to identify and then resolve the issues that it finds.

For more information, you may also read the links below. It's related to your concern.

Raymond Ave, May 14, 2019
  3. Network showing as public

Hi Connor,

By default, the public network location type is assigned to any new networks when they are first connected. A public network is considered to be shared with the world, with no protection between the local computer and any other computer. Therefore,
    the Windows Firewall rules associated with the public profile are the most restrictive.

To change settings from public to private, follow the steps below:

• Open the Locale Security Policy.
    • In the left pane, click/tap on Network List Manager Policies.
    • In the right pane of Network List Manager Policies, double click/tap on your network name
    • Click/tap on the Network Location tab.
    • Under Location type, select Private.
    • Under User permissions, select (dot) User cannot change location.
    • Click/tap on OK, and close Local Security Policy.

Note: You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the network location of a network adapter.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Martin Bar, May 14, 2019
  4. I cant connect to public network. It doesnt ask for password

Public Wifi connected, no internet access

Hi Sam,

As you are unable to access the public Wi-Fi on your laptop, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Were you able to connect to any other Wi-Fi connection from your laptop?

This issue might have occurred due to network adapter driver issues and network services. Let us try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to check if the Airplane mode is turned on. If so turn it off and check.

• Press Windows key, click on
      Settings
      from the left pane.

• Click on Network & Internet.

• Under Airplane mode turn it off and check.

Step 2: I suggest you to check if
    Network Adapter is enabled in Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager.

• Expand Network Adapter.

• Right click on adapter driver, click on Properties.

• Click on Driver tab and Enable the driver.

Step 3: Run Network Adapter troubleshooter

Network Adapter troubleshooter find and fix the problems with wireless and other Network Adapter.

• Click on Start; in the start search type
      Troubleshooter and hit Enter.

• In the left pane, click on View all.

• Click on Network Adapter Troubleshooter.

• Select Advance and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Hope it helps. Try the troubleshooting steps and get back to us with an updated status of accessing the public Wi-Fi for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 14, 2019
Thema:

I cant connect to public network. It doesnt ask for password

1. I cant connect to public network. It doesnt ask for password - Similar Threads - cant connect public

2. I cant connect to a network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant connect to a network: I have hp laptop that have wifi device Ranlink RT3290 802.11bgn and i cant connect to my home network i tried to reset the drliver and the router and nothing help...
  3. I cant connect to a network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant connect to a network: I have hp laptop that have wifi device Ranlink RT3290 802.11bgn and i cant connect to my home network i tried to reset the drliver and the router and nothing help...
  4. I cant connect to a network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Why does a public network ask a security key?

Why does a public network ask a security key?: I want to use a public network Telenet Wi-Free and my new laptop requests a security key together with my username and password while my old laptop only asked my username and password. How am I suposed to know the security key of a public network? Or what settings do I...
  6. Connectivity problems on public wifi network

Connectivity problems on public wifi network: Hello, every time I attempt to connect to a specific Starbucks open wifi network it connects, but blocks all websites thereafter, including trusted sites like google, facebook etc. The error says there is an untrusted certificate for the site and won't allow it to go any...
  7. Hotel public interneg connect..cant connect

Hotel public interneg connect..cant connect: runtimebroker.exe The group or resourse is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hotel-public-interneg-connectcant-connect/9614b532-5633-4eeb-b143-613ccf476c1a
  8. Private and Public Network Connections

Private and Public Network Connections: Hey everyone, just recently I reset my modem and router and my laptop. I have made sure that my home router is secure yet when I connect to it, if I go to settings it sets me as a public network. This is weird because when I got my laptop and connected, the computer...
  9. Computer not connecting to public 'sharing network'

Computer not connecting to public 'sharing network': I use a MacBook Pro purchased about a year ago and use bootcamp to have both Mac and Windows on my computer. I have Windows on my computer to use QuickBooks for work. I have been doing this for over a year now. I am connected to our Quickbooks business information through a...
  10. sihost.exe is asking to communicate on public networks. Safe?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    sihost.exe is asking to communicate on public networks. Safe?: sihost.exe is asking to communicate on public networks. Safe? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/sihostexe-is-asking-to-communicate-on-public/8837f5c5-a305-450e-873e-4cbb87354910"