Windows 10: I can't create new folders with the context menu or in windows explorer.

Discus and support I can't create new folders with the context menu or in windows explorer. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Pretty much what the title says, in the context menu under the 'new' option there is no longer the option to create a new folder. I'm running windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CountFapula, Aug 31, 2020.

1. I can't create new folders with the context menu or in windows explorer.

Pretty much what the title says, in the context menu under the 'new' option there is no longer the option to create a new folder.

I'm running windows 10 ver. 10.0.19041 build 19041

I've tried running registry edit, going to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers and changing the registry key to
    {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}, this didn't work

I've tried doing this:

Use Command Prompt to create a directory
    Several users reported that they managed to fix the problem simply by using Command Prompt to create a new folder on their PC.

According to users, they created a directory on their PC using the Command Prompt and the issue was completely resolved. To create a directory using the Command Prompt, you need to do the following:

1. Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Now choose Command Prompt Admin from the list. If theCommand Prompt isn’t available, you can also use PowerShell Admin.
    2. When Command Prompt starts, enter cd / to navigate to the root directory.
    3. Now enter mkdir FolderName in order to create a new directory. By doing that you’ll create a new folder on your C drive.

This did create a new folder in the C drive, but it then made the 'new' tab in the context menu become empty.

I then tried to delete the registry key and replace it with the one above, and this replaced the options in the 'new' tab in the context menu, but the 'new folder' option is still missing.

I've then tried these options from this board that other previous users had the same problem with, under this topic:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/cant-create-new-folder-in-windows-10/88f3fdc5-26fe-42d0-b02e-38288cedf7f8?auth=1

Please try these methods and see if they help you:

Method 1: Run System File Checker SFC scan:

1. Search for 'command prompt' using Cortana or Windows Search.

2. From results, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

3. Type sfc /scannow command and press Enter key.

4. Let the command complete and then reboot the machine.

Method 2: Reset File Explorer explorer.exe process:

1. Press Windows Key + R and type SYSDM.CPL in Run. Click OK or press Enter key.

2. In System Properties window, switch to Advanced tab, click Settings under Performance.

3. Next, in Performance Options, under Processor scheduling, make sure that Adjust for best performance of: is set to Programs.

4. Then in the same window, under Virtual memory, click Settings button.

5. On Virtual Memory page, make sure Automatically manage paging file sizes for all drives option is checked. Click OK, then Apply, OK on rest of windows.

I've only just noticed this after having recently had a windows update that dealt with microsoft edge: update KB4559309.

After windows installed this update, I had recently tried to make a new folder and now am not able to either via the context menu, or in windows explorer via the quick menu.

:)

CountFapula, Aug 31, 2020

2. New Folder is not created from Context Menu

Hello everyone, Hope you guys are well.

I am running windows 10 which is updated with the latest features. It was working perfectly till today morning. From morning, I am facing some problem while trying to create new folder from context menu. Folder is creating perfectly from cmd using "mkdir" command
    but from context menu its not working. When clicking the "Folder" in context menu, its showing me "Create Shortcut" like the picture given. Please help me if anyone know what exactly happened. Thanks in advance.
    I can't create new folders with the context menu or in windows explorer. 5f746b43-5553-4c65-872e-66106db9f693?upload=true.png

RahmanMushfiqur, Aug 31, 2020
  3. creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Aug 31, 2020
  4. LemP Win User

I can't create new folders with the context menu or in windows explorer.

Thema:

I can't create new folders with the context menu or in windows explorer.

1. I can't create new folders with the context menu or in windows explorer. - Similar Threads - can't create folders

2. File Explorer can't create new folder

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer can't create new folder: I have a new laptop which came with Windows 10 Home 2004, during my install/update/clean process it got updated to 20H2. I partitoned the disk and created a Users folder on drive D. At some point since File Explorer stopped creating new folders, right clicking doesn't show...
  3. Windows 10 - Unable to create new folders using File Explorer or Right-Click Context Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Unable to create new folders using File Explorer or Right-Click Context Menu: Hi, I am currently having difficulty creating new folders using the File Explorer and the Right-Click Context menu in Windows 10. I'm not experiencing any crashes related to the issue - the functionality just seems to have disappeared. Things that don't work: The new...
  4. Can't create new folders with explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't create new folders with explorer: I accidentally created 30,000 files with a couple of characters in each of them in a Dropbox shared folder. I deleted the files straight away but Dropbox way uploading them like crazy so I killed that too and restarted. Now I can only create new directories from the command...
  5. Menu to create new file is gone from context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Menu to create new file is gone from context menu: Hi, for whatever reason I am only able to create a new folder / shortcut and not a new file. Any idea how I might get the normal "new" menu back? [img] OS Version: 2004 OS Build 19041.208 155787
  6. Context Menu Doesn't Show Create New?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Context Menu Doesn't Show Create New?: [ATTACH] Self explanatory, recently reset PC and no option to create new folders etc. Any fix for this? Recently poked around in the registry because I had an issue where the context menu didn't even appear, I may have deleted something. Please halp. Upon right click...
  7. Creating a new entry in the context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Creating a new entry in the context menu: Hello from Germany. Is it possible to create a new entry in the context menu in "new"? I often need an empty paint-pic. For example: [img] Thank you. 39917
  8. Can't create new folder in Windows 10 explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't create new folder in Windows 10 explorer: After a long time without any issues, my Windows 10 PC started to have trouble when creating new folders. Whenever I try to do it in explorer windows, be it through right-clicking or Ctrl+shift+n, the cursor shows its loading animation and explorer crashes. However when doing...
  9. Context menu to create new folder, *from directory and/or drive*?

in Windows 10 Support
    Context menu to create new folder, *from directory and/or drive*?: Shawn had posted excellent tutorials for restoring the registry settings for restoring the "NEW" context menu for creating new folders, but those default settings only apply to right-clicking on the background (blank desktop space or in file explorer away from folders), or...
  10. CMD in context menu for all Windows explorer folders

in Windows 10 Support
    CMD in context menu for all Windows explorer folders: Bold word 'cmd' is at top of the folder context menu and left click on any folder results in Windows trying to open the folder using the program 'cmd'.and generates error message.* Right click on the folder displays context menu and 'open' opens the folder properly. How do I...