Windows 10: I can't delete certain folders because of lack of permission.

Discus and support I can't delete certain folders because of lack of permission. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I bought this computer a few months ago and I installed it with Windows 10 Home Activated. Lately This week, when I download anything from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Otoyo Raiu, Apr 7, 2020.

1. I can't delete certain folders because of lack of permission.

Hi, I bought this computer a few months ago and I installed it with Windows 10 Home Activated. Lately This week, when I download anything from the internet that contains a folder Like a .rar file I can't delete the folder, it says I need permissions from the administrator. But I'm the only one who uses this computer and I only have 1 account The administrator myself. The thing is that if I enter the folder I can delete the files from the inside without trouble and then when the folder is empty it allows me to delete it. It's annoying that I have to do that every time. Is there any way I can stop this from happening?

:)

Otoyo Raiu, Apr 7, 2020

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused I can't delete certain folders because of lack of permission. :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well I can't delete certain folders because of lack of permission. :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Apr 7, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Apr 7, 2020
  4. silkstone Win User

I can't delete certain folders because of lack of permission.

Cannot delete .Trash-999 folder

So I am trying to delete a folder from my secondary HDD called .Trash-999 that is from and ubuntu bootdisk. I managed to do it on the c:\ drive, but on my d:\ drive i am getting an error telling me that i don;t have permission to delete it.

I recently had a problem with windows permissions and fixed it on the c:\ drive with a windows re-install but i accidentally set up windows on d:\ The files contained within are from a mistaken windows install, which i tried to delete through ubuntu, it seems that ubuntu was able to move the files to the trash, but unable to delete them entirely.
    When i go to security on the folder, it tells me that i don't have permission to do this action. although the permissions on the folder gives re/write to everyone. However, when i go to the individual folders in there, no one has permission and when i try to give permission i get an access denied message.

Update - I just found a nifty little program that adds a take ownership option to the right click menu, this has allowed me to (finally) delete all the folders/files i need to.

silkstone, Apr 7, 2020
Thema:

I can't delete certain folders because of lack of permission.

1. I can't delete certain folders because of lack of permission. - Similar Threads - can't delete certain

2. I permanently deleted some of default folder because of lack of knowledge like screenshot...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I permanently deleted some of default folder because of lack of knowledge like screenshot...: kindly help if there is another solution instead of system restore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-permanently-deleted-some-of-default-folder/6320fd44-897d-4a67-a124-7d0c4e25f530
  3. I permanently deleted some of default folder because of lack of knowledge like screenshot...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I permanently deleted some of default folder because of lack of knowledge like screenshot...: kindly help if there is another solution instead of system restore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-permanently-deleted-some-of-default-folder/6320fd44-897d-4a67-a124-7d0c4e25f530
  4. I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.: I have a Lenovo laptop with "Mycroft Windows 11 Home" OS.I created a folder called xyz with some files in it, and then another one called xyz. same name with a dot at the end with different files in it. They were supposed to be separate, but opening either of them lead to the...
  5. I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't delete a folder because it can't be found.: I have a Lenovo laptop with "Mycroft Windows 11 Home" OS.I created a folder called xyz with some files in it, and then another one called xyz. same name with a dot at the end with different files in it. They were supposed to be separate, but opening either of them lead to the...
  6. Can't access certain files because I don't have the correct permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access certain files because I don't have the correct permissions: I've recently downloaded a file and every time I try to open it I get an error message saying "Windows cannot access the specifies device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I already checked the security of the file in properties...
  7. Can't delete a certain folder off of desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete a certain folder off of desktop: I can't seem to be able to delete a file off the desktop, everytime I've tried deleting it, it says "Could not find this item" I've already tried the rmdir /q /s method, but it says "the directory name is invalid"[ATTACH]...
  8. I can't delete a folder because it doesnt exist?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't delete a folder because it doesnt exist?: I have an empty folder in my music folder and I can't delete it. Every time I try it it says "element not found". I've tried unlocker, CMD and Bitdefender "file destroyer" option, nothing seems to work. I really want to get rid of this folder but it seems undeletable. What...
  9. lack sufficient permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    lack sufficient permissions: My user account refuses to allow me to be the administrator, tells me I lack sufficient permissions to change files. I am the only user. As a test user I can be administrator. Help. Adobe guys spent hours trying to make their apps let me import or export files. Nothing...
  10. I can't delete a folder because of an "unexpected error"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't delete a folder because of an "unexpected error": I am trying to delete a folder from my laptop, but when I try to delete it, file explorer says there was an unexpected error. I tried looking up how to fix the error but I didn't find anything helpful. Please help me fix this as soon as possible! [ATTACH]...