Windows 10: I can't delete/move a files and/or .exe files even though I am an admin

Discus and support I can't delete/move a files and/or .exe files even though I am an admin in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I like to download/install files and .exe files to mod games. I'm safe with what and where I download files and from whom I download them. However,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MichaelGomez-9, May 6, 2020.

1. I can't delete/move a files and/or .exe files even though I am an admin

I like to download/install files and .exe files to mod games. I'm safe with what and where I download files and from whom I download them. However, *for some files*, whenever I want to delete or move a file, I get a message saying I don't have permission and I need admin permission even though I AM THE ADMIN. I tried going to properties of the file and tried changing the attributes to "Read-only". Instead of the box actually being ticked, I get a message saying "Access Denied". I try to override it by clicking continue but I get another window saying "Error Applying Attributes". I can click "try again" as many times as I want but it will never progress further.

It's not just this option, when I go to the security tab of a file It says "You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object" , and click "advanced" option, it tells me the same thing, "You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object". I've tried changing the owner of the file but I get the same message of " You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings". It wouldn't make sense to make a file that can't be deleted or edited, regardless of who made it or is in possession of it. I've tried using the "take ownership" option, but it still doesn't work since a window saying "access denied".

As you can tell whoever reads this, I've basically already tried what might be suggested. I don't know if there is a program that's installed that is restricting my admin rights but it is irritatingly annoying. I don't have full control over everything because of an update that installed a program that restricts me from what info I had found is annoying, as mentioned above. Again, I seriously doubt the owner/maker of these files would make it so that I can't delete them whenever I want. This issue occurs in both my Windows C: and Data D:.

So, what else is there that I can do?

:)

MichaelGomez-9, May 6, 2020

2. Cant Delete Files From Desktop

Well, ran into a weird bug with vista, for some reason i cant delete files from desktop, this normaly happens to .exe files, the ONLY fix seems to be to KILL explorer.exe, and delete the file, then restat explorer, anybody got any idea why this happens?

Rebo&Zooty, May 6, 2020
  3. .exe file deletion

Hello I've been having troubles with .exe files I try to permantley delete the folder and it'll remove everything except the .exe file if I delete the .exe file with a shift+del it'll dissapear then repair once I refresh the folder it's in. If I use the
    normal delete method to move it into my receclying bin it'll pop up a message for admin privellages I'll click continue and then it tell me I need permission from the computer's administrator.

I'm admin on the computer, only user on it, I've added a new user to try delete it but didn't work, I can delete the .exe files on computer start before it's fully laoded. This has been happening for a few months now but unsure how to fix it, talked to microsft
    live tech and had no help.

ExpGamersInAu, May 6, 2020
  4. I can't delete/move a files and/or .exe files even though I am an admin

Advice- how to delete a file with admin rights

ok- im putting this to the group- cause ive been battling this stupid file and folder for about a half hour.

if any of you know anything about mp3-g karaoke files it would be a plus.

this is so stupid its crazy- in computerized karaoke, the mp3 and cdg files are in a zip folder, the software plays it by unzipping-

whild doing some mundane library chores i unzipped a file cause the mp3 inside would not let me correct the updated naming structure, so fine, i have software for that, unzipped the file, took control, ownership, changed all the security rights on the zip and the cdg, but the mp3 is not allowing me to do anything but play it.

i cannot alter, delete or change special permissions or owners rights or nothing.

so i went back to the disc and re ripped that track, now i no longer need this copy, and it wont let me delete or move it off to a different drive or anything. and i cannot re zip it.

i tried using file assasin in malwarebytes, and windows will not allow it without admins permission, which i cannot change.

and it scans clean, so its not a bug, and it plays, but i cannot get rid of it-

problem is, its on a 750 gig drive with 170,000 other files on it- if i had enough drives around to move all of the other files and just reformat the damn drive i would, but thats not verey practical either.

im open for ideas*Bang Head :banghead:

by the way if it makes a difference, im in windows 7 rc 1 64 bit- never seen this one before.

madmanjohn, May 6, 2020
Thema:

I can't delete/move a files and/or .exe files even though I am an admin

1. I can't delete/move a files and/or .exe files even though I am an admin - Similar Threads - can't delete move

2. I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!: I have a relatively new HP laptop with Windows 11 64 bit and I cannot turn on Memory Integrity because of several Logitech .sys files. When I try to delete those files per Microsoft instructions, I get a message saying that I must have Administrator Permission, but I AM the...
  3. I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!: I have a relatively new HP laptop with Windows 11 64 bit and I cannot turn on Memory Integrity because of several Logitech .sys files. When I try to delete those files per Microsoft instructions, I get a message saying that I must have Administrator Permission, but I AM the...
  4. Need permission to move and delete, even though I own the files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need permission to move and delete, even though I own the files.: Whenever I try to delete or move items in the Documents, Pictures, and Videos folders in the "This PC" tab, it tells me that I need to provide administrator permission to delete/move it. When I press "Continue", it tells me that I need permission from myself. I'm...
  5. HELP!! I CAN'T DELETE THIS FILE, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ADMIN!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    HELP!! I CAN'T DELETE THIS FILE, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ADMIN!: [ATTACH] I can't delete this file, even though I have admin. I've tried to change the security permissions, but it doesn't work. Please help!...
  6. Can't write on Program Files even though I am the Administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't write on Program Files even though I am the Administrator: Okay. First of all, I know that Windows changed it that way. I've read the answers tothis thread and tried them already and the options were greyed out on both occasions. I am asking this because I've installed an old game to that directory and it keeps crashing. I'm guessing...
  7. I don't have permission to move files even though im the admin

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I don't have permission to move files even though im the admin: It started happening around when I changed my computer account from local to microsoft account. I tried making me the owner of the folder which seems to work for other people but it did not work for me, and it actually seems like the more I try to solve the issue the less...
  8. Can't delete files even though I am the administrator, and can't change file permissions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't delete files even though I am the administrator, and can't change file permissions: So I've got this weird problem where I try to delete these files and it says I can't delete them without admin privileges. My account is the administrator. So I went to Properties, Security, Advanced to try to change the permissions, but it won't let me change permissions. It...
  9. Can't delete files even with admin

Can't delete files even with admin: When i try to delete a folder i am not allowed to. When i try to change the permissions it says "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings" what can i do?...
  10. Can't delete a file even though I own it

Can't delete a file even though I own it: I recently installed some kind of virus onto my computer that runs these programs that make my laptop overheat very quickly and sometimes play random music. I figured out the location of these programs, located in two folders in Local Disk C: and have tried to delete them....