Windows 10: I can't delete my discord folder in LocalAppData.

Discus and support I can't delete my discord folder in LocalAppData. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I recently tried to uninstall and reinstall discord because it wasn't working properly, but I can't reinstall discord because apparently there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BRA3D7N, Sep 11, 2020.

1. I can't delete my discord folder in LocalAppData.

Hello, I recently tried to uninstall and reinstall discord because it wasn't working properly, but I can't reinstall discord because apparently there is still a file in LocalAppData. I have looked through the Properties of the file and it says "You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object" in the Security section. I've read a few articles trying to solve the problem. One was about changing the Owner by going to Advanced and then Change, then changing the name. That didn't work. I looked at another post which led to an article about taking ownership, which didn't work. I haven't tried rebooting in Safe Mode because I don't know what to do once I get there, and I'm afraid I'm going to mess something up. I just want to use the Discord program again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

submitted by /u/BRA3D7N
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BRA3D7N, Sep 11, 2020

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused I can't delete my discord folder in LocalAppData. :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well I can't delete my discord folder in LocalAppData. :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Sep 11, 2020
  3. discord

Can you open your browser in an inprivate window then try downloading again or use an alternative web browser?

Are you having issues with the installer failing and/or shooting out various errors causing the app from installing? Though not intentional, there may be various issues that can cause the installation process to fail. Here are some general troubleshooting techniques
    that can help get you locked and loaded.

Close Discord in the system tray and make sure all Discord processes are terminated. (Sometimes stray processes can hide in your system tray or your task manager- double check those!)

Delete the 2 following folders:

%AppData%/Discord

%LocalAppData%/Discord

To find those folders, hit the Start button + R, and enter:

%appdata% in the run window and hit enter:

Then %localappdata% in the run window and hit enter:

Then find the "Discord" folder in both of those windows, and delete it.

If your OS tells you that the file cannot be deleted because it's still in use. Open up the Task Manager and terminate all instances of Discord there and in the start up tab.

Restart your system.

Reinstall via
    https://discordapp.com/api/download?platform=win

In some cases, these extra steps may be necessary.

Set the Discord application (%LocalAppData%/Discord/most recent version) to run as Administrator and set Compatibility to Windows 7 or 8 (try both)

Make sure that all instances of Discord, including the browser version, are closed out before attempting the steps.

Source:

https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/article...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Andre for Directly, Sep 11, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

I can't delete my discord folder in LocalAppData.

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

I can't delete my discord folder in LocalAppData.

1. I can't delete my discord folder in LocalAppData. - Similar Threads - can't delete discord

2. localappdata deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    localappdata deleted: Hi, recently my Roblox keeps crashing, I tried few of steps om Google, and one of them are run %localappdata% and delete all of the files inside of it, and yeah, I tried them and deleted all the files from my computer, now I can't even some apps and uninstall. Is there...
  3. localappdata deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    localappdata deleted: Hi, recently my Roblox keeps crashing, I tried few of steps om Google, and one of them are run %localappdata% and delete all of the files inside of it, and yeah, I tried them and deleted all the files from my computer, now I can't even some apps and uninstall. Is there...
  4. localappdata deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "Microsoft" folder in %localappdata% missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Microsoft" folder in %localappdata% missing: I've been trying to access the "VisualStudio" folder that should be in the "Microsoft" folder and noticed that it doesn't exist.I've tried reinstalling Visual Studio many times already to no success. I'll probably just reinstall Windows but only if there aren't any other...
  6. Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird %LocalAppData% Folder Names: Every computer that I have owned since using Windows 7 has suffered from this issue at times. Does anyone know why? Some folders (or sub-folders) in %LocalAppData% sometimes get renamed to Folder Name followed by .exe_Url then a long random string of text. Typically these...
  7. There is a folder that I can't delete.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    There is a folder that I can't delete.: I have 2 drivesC and D and most apps download to C drive. But windows has this feature where it can move the apps to D drive, which I did. But soon after that I had to reset my system which reset everything except for the D driveWhich has 2 windows apps folders. If I try to...
  8. I can't delete Discord folder to unistall it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't delete Discord folder to unistall it: I don't know if this is the best place to ask but... I've had a problem were I open Discord and it stays on a grey screen, stuck there. I tried uninstalling the folder in AppData but everytime I try, a window pops up and says I can't delete the folder because it's damaged...
  9. Microsoft Deleted My Discord

Microsoft Deleted My Discord: I was going through my things in one drive, and deleted everything, because it was my school's account, and it thought I wanted everything in there. but it deleted, mostly everything on my desktop and some important files from Discord too, including its ability to open,...
  10. I can't properly delete the discord app from my pc.

I can't properly delete the discord app from my pc.: I have already "uninstalled" the Discord app. However it still remains in my pc at a unknown file location. I can't find it using the start menu search bar but I can find it using the search bar in MyPC. Even though I can find it in MyPC search bar, whenever i try to delete...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant delete discord folder

2. delete appdata discord