Windows 10: I can't delete some Linux files which I installed as I apparently do not have permission...

Discus and support I can't delete some Linux files which I installed as I apparently do not have permission... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My laptop is running on windows 11. The other day my lecturer suggested that I install a linux subsystem, I tried doing this but was unsuccessful. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Syren Fyren, Apr 1, 2023.

1. I can't delete some Linux files which I installed as I apparently do not have permission...

My laptop is running on windows 11. The other day my lecturer suggested that I install a linux subsystem, I tried doing this but was unsuccessful. I'm now trying to delete the ubuntu files as my storage is low. However when I try to delete the files I get or error 0x8007003, it also tells me that I dont have permission to delete the Linux files. The Linux files are also weird in that I think files are in a seperate directory, e.g When you open file explorer the linux folder is on the same level as "Network", "This PC", and "Quick Access" and the folders in it have a green line at the bottom o

:)

Syren Fyren, Apr 1, 2023
  2. Scoka Win User

File permissions to delete file

I am trying this, but it's taking a very long time.

Scoka, Apr 1, 2023
  3. Hydrate Win User

Windows is extremely confusing in its permissions and file ownership.*Sad

If Taking Ownership of the files does not work, then the ACL and permissions are misconfigured.

Permissions precedes the ownership, you can have ownership but incorrect permissions in accordance with the ACL Access Control Lists (Windows).

Microsoft - How Permissions Work

I suggest that you open powershell (Search > type powershell > Right click > run as admin) and execute this command:

Code:
    This command restores permissions to default for all files contained within C:\ quietly.

Followed by this command once completed:

Code:
    This command restores full permissions to the Administrators on the computer, which I presume you are an Administrator.

And reboot the computer, and finally attempt to delete the file after attempting to retake ownership.

If that does not work, then I suggest using a third party utility known as UnlockIT:
    Downloads - UnLock IT

And download, install. Ensure you select customized installation.

Right click the folder that contains the files or the files individually that you would like to delete, and follow as here:

I can't delete some Linux files which I installed as I apparently do not have permission... wrqPMO6.png

Then this should delete all files you right clicked upon after restarting the system.

You should not run into issues regarding permissions after this, and if you do, post again and I'll look into it.

Side note: often times malware tends to hijack a system and fluff itself in permissions that benefit itself.

Hydrate, Apr 1, 2023
  4. lx07 Win User

I can't delete some Linux files which I installed as I apparently do not have permission...

@Hydrate, you must be careful with your suggestions.

No it doesn't. It replaces ACLs with inherited ACLs. A default Windows install does not take inherited permissions from root.

Again, no it doesn't. It grants full access to administrators group which Windows does not do and would be unwise to do.

There is no way (apart from a clean install) to reset default permissions any more.

If OP wants to delete a specific file a safer way would be to change the permissions on that specific file (by taking ownerhip and granting permissions) or use unlocker which will do it at boot.

Changing permissions on the whole C drive is a bad idea.

lx07, Apr 1, 2023
Thema:

I can't delete some Linux files which I installed as I apparently do not have permission...

1. I can't delete some Linux files which I installed as I apparently do not have permission... - Similar Threads - can't delete Linux

2. I can't delete some Linux files which I installed as I apparently do not have permission...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't delete some Linux files which I installed as I apparently do not have permission...: My laptop is running on windows 11. The other day my lecturer suggested that I install a linux subsystem, I tried doing this but was unsuccessful. I'm now trying to delete the ubuntu files as my storage is low. However when I try to delete the files I get or error 0x8007003,...
  3. I can't delete some Linux files which I installed as I apparently do not have permission...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't delete some Linux files which I installed as I apparently do not have permission...: My laptop is running on windows 11. The other day my lecturer suggested that I install a linux subsystem, I tried doing this but was unsuccessful. I'm now trying to delete the ubuntu files as my storage is low. However when I try to delete the files I get or error 0x8007003,...
  4. trying to delete an excel file but it says that I don't have permission, what do I do?

trying to delete an excel file but it says that I don't have permission, what do I do?: Trying to delete an excel file on my home laptop but systems says that I don't have permission*** Moved from Excel by Mod *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-delete-an-excel-file-but-it-says-that-i/21b1fbe1-d4bb-44e6-866d-2e7b3ebd3b86
  5. trying to delete an excel file but it says that I don't have permission, what do I do?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    trying to delete an excel file but it says that I don't have permission, what do I do?: Trying to delete an excel file on my home laptop but systems says that I don't have permission*** Moved from Excel by Mod *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-delete-an-excel-file-but-it-says-that-i/21b1fbe1-d4bb-44e6-866d-2e7b3ebd3b86
  6. trying to delete an excel file but it says that I don't have permission, what do I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. I Do Not Have Permission to Create Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I Do Not Have Permission to Create Files: I downloaded a file locker but then I suddenly couldnt create any files. I deleted the program and tried some solutions I found on the internet but they didnt work. I changed a few things on advanced security settings. I changed owner to Everyone and created a permission...
  8. I Do Not Have Permission to Create Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Do Not Have Permission to Create Files: I downloaded a file locker but then I suddenly couldnt create any files. I deleted the program and tried some solutions I found on the internet but they didnt work. I changed a few things on advanced security settings. I changed owner to Everyone and created a permission...
  9. I Do Not Have Permission to Create Files

10. I do not have permission????

in Windows 10 Support
    I do not have permission????: I created a new user profile in windows 10 with administrator permission. Now when I try to access a file on drive f, I am denied permission to even open the folder. l hate windows permission, since I am the only one that has access to my computer, is there a way to...