Windows 10: I can't disable DEP

Discus and support I can't disable DEP in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Whenever I try to use the command bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOff, it says "The value is protected by Secure Boot policy and cannot be modified or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Atte H., Feb 4, 2023.

1. Atte H. Win User

I can't disable DEP

Whenever I try to use the command bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOff, it says "The value is protected by Secure Boot policy and cannot be modified or deleted." How can I remove the protection so I can turn off DEP?

:)

Atte H., Feb 4, 2023

2. i can't access DEP

Hi Demuul,

To enable the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) in Windows 10, follow the steps below:

• Open elevated Command Prompt by pressing the Windows key + X, and then click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In Command Prompt, type the command below, and then press Enter:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

Should you want to disable DEP, enter bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff
    in elevated Command Prompt.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Patricia Yu, Feb 4, 2023
  3. How to Edit DEP settings

Sorry that the suggestion did not work.

I found a Microsoft thread for a similar issue. Please try the suggestion provided by a user HeikkiLaukkanen and check if it works. Copying his comments:

For those on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 YOU NEED TO TURN OFF SECURE BOOT OR YOU CANNOT TURN OFF DEP!

once you have turned off DEP you can then turn Secure boot back on again and you will not have DEP

Be sure to disable the Secure Boot Policy

Go to Settings / Computer Settings / General / Advance Start-Up's Restart Now / Troubleshoot / Advanced Options / UEFI Firmware Settings / Restart / Computer Setup / Security / Secure Boot Config / Accept / Secure Boot / *click to disable* / File / Save Changes
    & Exit

Reference:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Let us know if this helps you.

JocelynYbanez, Feb 4, 2023
  4. I can't disable DEP

DEP errors make webpages unavailable

Hi Richard,

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a set of hardware and software technologies that perform additional checks on memory to help protect against malicious code exploits. You can turn off Data Execution Prevention for a particular program in Windows by following
    the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Right-click on This PC, choose Properties and then click on the
      Advanced system settings link.
    • Now click on the Data Execution Prevention tab and you’ll see two radio buttons. By default, DEP should be set to the first radio button and therefore only protect essential Windows programs and services. If the second radio button is selected,
      it will turn on DEP for ALL processes, not just Windows processes.
    • Since you’re having issues with your browsers, go ahead and try to select the first radio button, restart your computer and see if that fixes the issue. If not, you can go ahead and click the Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those
      I select
      button and then add the program that is having problems. Make sure to also check the box.
    • Click the Add button and browse to the location of the executable for the program you want to remove from DEP protection.

Let us know if you need any other assistance.

Regards.

Darian Tab, Feb 4, 2023
Thema:

I can't disable DEP

1. I can't disable DEP - Similar Threads - can't disable DEP

2. I can't disable DEP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't disable DEP: Whenever I try to use the command bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOff, it says "The value is protected by Secure Boot policy and cannot be modified or deleted." How can I remove the protection so I can turn off DEP?...
  3. BEX Error when DEP is on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BEX Error when DEP is on: HelloI am trying to recreate a Proof of Concept for a vulnerability CVE-2018-12113. The vulnerable FTP client is installed on a Windows 10 VM. When the Python script is executed and the FTP client is used to connect to the server, the client crashes, which I think is supposed...
  4. BEX Error when DEP is on

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BEX Error when DEP is on: HelloI am trying to recreate a Proof of Concept for a vulnerability CVE-2018-12113. The vulnerable FTP client is installed on a Windows 10 VM. When the Python script is executed and the FTP client is used to connect to the server, the client crashes, which I think is supposed...
  5. DEP OptOut not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DEP OptOut not working: Per STIGs we have to do the BCDEDIT /set {current} nx OptOut command on all our machines but when we run it on our Windows 10 machines it says Successfully Completed but SCAP is still showing it as a finding. We have asked the Devs of SCAP and they say that there has been a...
  6. DEP OptOut not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DEP OptOut not working: Per STIGs we have to do the BCDEDIT /set {current} nx OptOut command on all our machines but when we run it on our Windows 10 machines it says Successfully Completed but SCAP is still showing it as a finding. We have asked the Devs of SCAP and they say that there has been a...
  7. DEP OptOut not working

8. how to turn on dep

how to turn on dep: I was unable to turn on dep using this command bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-on-dep/36123097-cfd2-490f-90d0-b9f787df05b7
  9. Difference Between Exploit Protection DEP & Performance Options DEP

Difference Between Exploit Protection DEP & Performance Options DEP: When I was playing around with some settings in Windows Defender, I noticed that there is a setting to turn on/turn off DEP in the Exploit Protection settings section. I've had trouble with DEP on Windows 7 so I ran the following command to disable it completely: bcdedit.exe...
  10. DEP unclickable

DEP unclickable: ​Long story short, I have been trying to play a game I downloaded from the internet and my laptop has been refusing to play it and the game just wont work, because it is a 16 bit program trying to work in a 64 bit computer. After some research I finally figured out how to fix...