Windows 10: I can't do windows defender scans

Discus and support I can't do windows defender scans in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I tried several times to run windows security scan.But every time I click on windows quick scan nothing happens.How do I address this problem... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sadu32, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Sadu32 Win User

I can't do windows defender scans

I tried several times to run windows security scan.But every time I click on windows quick scan nothing happens.How do I address this problem

:)

Sadu32, Jun 26, 2020

2. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jun 26, 2020
  3. Brian Cab Win User
    Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

Hi Joe,

to scan external drives using Windows Defender, follow the steps provided below.

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to Settings tab.
    • Select the Advanced option.
    • tick the checkbox for Scan removable drives.

Regards.

Brian Cab, Jun 26, 2020
  4. avemaria Win User

right click scan in windows defender?

thanks for that.. i didn't notice the tutorial section :x

I did the suggested registry change and it's now listed on the desktop context menu.. but all this does is ask if I want to open it, update, or start a scan... I was hoping for the option where you right click a specific file and it will have listed 'scan with windows defender' like other antivirus programs have.. MSE had it. I'll keep looking around to see if I can find it in the meantime..

avemaria, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

1. I can't do windows defender scans - Similar Threads - can't defender scans

2. Defender scans keep hanging - also, can't do Offline scan!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender scans keep hanging - also, can't do Offline scan!: Hello.When trying to do Defender scans they more often than not just hang and don't complete.Also, when doing an Offline scan, it lets me set it up but the system will not go offline and run it.At the moment I can only do a Quick Scan.How can I try to resolve this situation...
  3. Defender scans keep hanging - also, can't do Offline scan!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender scans keep hanging - also, can't do Offline scan!: Hello.When trying to do Defender scans they more often than not just hang and don't complete.Also, when doing an Offline scan, it lets me set it up but the system will not go offline and run it.At the moment I can only do a Quick Scan.How can I try to resolve this situation...
  4. I can't open windows defender scan folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't open windows defender scan folder.: I can't open windows defender scan folder. I have tried all the advice here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-is-not-opening-windows-defenderscans/aa21da0d-6dd6-4fa8-8573-baa846f4454a, Windows Defender found a trojan but can't remove it. I...
  5. I can't open windows defender scan folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't open windows defender scan folder.: I can't open windows defender scan folder. I have tried all the advice here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-is-not-opening-windows-defenderscans/aa21da0d-6dd6-4fa8-8573-baa846f4454a, Windows Defender found a trojan but can't remove it. I...
  6. Can't do defender offline scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't do defender offline scan: Whenever I press offline scan, it does the UAC prompt and I accept, but it never restarts the laptop. When I do it from Powershell also it doesn't do anything and says this:...
  7. I can't find the Windows Defender Offline Scan

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't find the Windows Defender Offline Scan: My antivirus notified me about the presence of a rootkit in my PC. I deleted it immediately but the file kept reappearing. The antivirus seemed ineffective in removing this malware so I looked it up on Google and I found that this issue can be resolved with the help of...
  8. How do I run a Windows Defender scan?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I run a Windows Defender scan?: I have followed every article and I keep reaching dead ends. I am not able to run any files except for a few pre installed apps. I can still play music and watch videos. When I go into Windows Security and go into "Virus and Threat Protection" there are no settings /...
  9. How do I schedule a scan in Window Defender

How do I schedule a scan in Window Defender: I can't find how to schedule a scan in Windows Defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-do-i-schedule-a-scan-in-window-defender/3b08d31c-7e16-482a-8443-9dff25f77305
  10. Can't scan with Windows Defender context menu

Can't scan with Windows Defender context menu: in 1803, i can't scan with context menu. it says admin limited access to some areas of the app. that's on the admin account. any idea how to fix? (ps.. using 3rd party av.. though why should that matter? worked in 1709) 109765