Windows 10: I can't download games directly to my external hard drive

Discus and support I can't download games directly to my external hard drive in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; My laptop has a 120GB SSD built-in, with no other storage space. Naturally, I got an external hard drive to go along with it a Seagate M3 Portable 1TB,... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by KDBR345, Oct 2, 2020.

1. KDBR345 Win User

I can't download games directly to my external hard drive

My laptop has a 120GB SSD built-in, with no other storage space. Naturally, I got an external hard drive to go along with it a Seagate M3 Portable 1TB, and I download close to all my games on it.

Recently, after formatting my hard drive, I tried to download Forza Horizon 4 to it from the windows store, but it doesn't download. When I pick drive E for downloading it, and I click install, nothing happens. The blue install button turns grey when clicked, then turns back blue again and doesn't install or actually do anything.

I know my hard drive works, as games like ARK Survival Evolved, and GTA V installs and works perfectly fine from it, and in the past, Forza also used to work on it. It was after a

windows update I installed a few weeks ago that this problem arose.

Is there any known fix to this?

:)

KDBR345, Oct 2, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 2, 2020
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Oct 2, 2020
  4. I can't download games directly to my external hard drive

external hard drive

Hi Chrpee,

If you can't find external hard drive on Disk management than the next step is using the diskpart via command line, please follow the steps below:-

On the keyboard hit ((Windows logo key + R key)) than type ((CMD))

Now the windows command line will appear, the next steps is to type ((diskpart))

After that type ((list disk)) to show you the list of hard disks with partitions

If you found your external hard drive one of the list than you need to type ((select disk number)), note: the number is a disk number

Once you selected the hard disk or partitions than type ((clean))

than type ((create partition primary))

than type ((select partition 1))

than type ((active))

than type ((format fs=ntfs quick))

than type ((assign))

last type ((exit))

Check if the external hard drive appeared, if not please see the link below for more info and let me know if you need any assist

https://uk.pcmag.com/dvd-burners/120624/what-to...

Abdirahman Issa, Oct 2, 2020
Thema:

I can't download games directly to my external hard drive

1. I can't download games directly to my external hard drive - Similar Threads - can't download games

2. I can't use my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't use my external hard drive: I have my external hard drive plugged in but it says "D:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." when I try to open it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-use-my-external-hard-drive/a2414c75-14c4-42a4-9017-765a8ca71c70
  3. I can't use my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't use my external hard drive: I have my external hard drive plugged in but it says "D:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." when I try to open it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-use-my-external-hard-drive/a2414c75-14c4-42a4-9017-765a8ca71c70
  4. Can't eject my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't eject my external hard drive: Hi , I just bought a new computer and I found a weird error . It has windows 11 pro install and I have the latest version .I have a lot of usb port , and two in the front . One work but the other can't eject my external hard drive . Let me explain . On the second usb port ,...
  5. Can't eject my external hard drive

Can't eject my external hard drive: Hi , I just bought a new computer and I found a weird error . It has windows 11 pro install and I have the latest version .I have a lot of usb port , and two in the front . One work but the other can't eject my external hard drive . Let me explain . On the second usb port ,...
  6. how do i install a new game directly to my external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i install a new game directly to my external hard drive?: I dont have room for the game on my pc's main hard drive, how do i install it directlly to an external one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-install-a-new-game-directly-to-my/16d3dff5-6cf5-4bc5-b915-d235527cd9c5
  7. how do i install a new game directly to my external hard drive?

how do i install a new game directly to my external hard drive?: I dont have room for the game on my pc's main hard drive, how do i install it directlly to an external one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-install-a-new-game-directly-to-my/16d3dff5-6cf5-4bc5-b915-d235527cd9c5
  8. Issue downloading games onto 2tb external hard drive.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Issue downloading games onto 2tb external hard drive.: I recently got a 2tb external hard drive for my pc, yet everytime I attempt to download a game onto it, a “file corruption” ocurrs. The game will partially download, then stop, and windows suggest scanning the drive for file corruptions, so I do so, then I run the windows fix...
  9. downloading to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    downloading to an external hard drive: I recently bought an external hard drive for my hp labtop that connects with a usb cable. I think it has been recognized but I cant seem to look at the storage on it when I go to settings and storage it doesnt show up. Im just trying to download world of warcraft to a file on...
  10. Can't connect to my external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't connect to my external hard drive.: Windows 10 Pro, Winver 1909OS Build 18363.959 When my Eternal Hard drive is plugged in none of my usb sticks can be detected, disk manager won't load, my computer wont restart, it gets stuck, if i try to enter chkdsk.exe /f /r into cmd the dialog stops at cannot lock...