Windows 10: I can't drag and drop files into programs on windows 10

Discus and support I can't drag and drop files into programs on windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I make music for a living. I use many different daw's for this. Not too long ago I could drag a sound file from a folder, and drop it into one of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by badm0n, Mar 6, 2020.

1. badm0n Win User

I can't drag and drop files into programs on windows 10

I make music for a living. I use many different daw's for this.
    Not too long ago I could drag a sound file from a folder, and drop it into one of my programs.
    Now when I try to do this I am met with a black circle with a slash through it as soon as I drag the file over the program.

Is there a fix for this?

Again this only dragging and dropping files into open programs.

I have tried the ESC method
    I have tried the closing and restarting of explorer.exe

I have googled and tried many different way to no avail.

Please advise.

thank you

:)

badm0n, Mar 6, 2020

2. Drag and Drop

Hi Charles,

the steps you suggested didn't work for me but, when pressing the escape key it somehow expanded the drive and by using drag and drop to the single file in the list worked.

In the past I could drag and drop multiple folders onto the drive on the network computer(s). Doing it on individual folders will take far too long and time consuming and is not an option.

Microsoft should be able to identify what is blocking it and issue a fix.

My machine is multi boot so tomorrow I will try with Windows 7.

Many thanks for your help,

Deric

DericStain, Mar 6, 2020
  3. Drag and Drop

When using "Drag and Drop":
    • "Alt + left mouse button" to create a Link/Shortcut
    • "Ctrl + left mouse button" to Copy the file
    • "Shift + left mouse button" to Move the file

lehnerus2000, Mar 6, 2020
  4. I can't drag and drop files into programs on windows 10

Drag and drop from File Explorer to other programs

How come I can not drag and drop files into other programs anymore, by that way quickly open/import those files?

For my work, I use a lot of different files. On one monitor I have the programs I work in, on the other explorer.

When I want to use or import a file, I always just drag/dropped the file from the explorer to the program, and the program would react to it.

Now, in windows 10, this does not seem to be the case anymore. Just nothing happens. Now I have to use the programmenu to open up a different explorer and find the file. This is taking time.

I've done a little research, but as windows 10 is still very new, there is not much info around on this subject. Only thing I could find, was people suggesting disabling UAC, but this would disable several features, like Metro apps and the start menu.

Anyone with more info on this? Thanks in advance.

Pierre d'Es, Mar 6, 2020
Thema:

I can't drag and drop files into programs on windows 10

1. I can't drag and drop files into programs on windows 10 - Similar Threads - can't drag drop

2. I can't drag and drop files to burn a CD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't drag and drop files to burn a CD: I've never had an issue with this before, but when I try to drag and drop the file to the burn list nothing happens. There's no red circle or greyed out file like I've read some other articles discribing, just nothing happens. Is there a way I can create the burn list without...
  3. I can't drag and drop files to burn a CD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't drag and drop files to burn a CD: I've never had an issue with this before, but when I try to drag and drop the file to the burn list nothing happens. There's no red circle or greyed out file like I've read some other articles discribing, just nothing happens. Is there a way I can create the burn list without...
  4. Drag and Drop Windows / Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and Drop Windows / Files: In Windows 10, you could have an application open and maximized such as a Word Document, PDF, etc. and you could just drag and drop it to another area, such as the 2nd screen without any issues. As soon as you clicked to drag it, it would just minimize itself not minimize as...
  5. Drag and Drop Windows / Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag and Drop Windows / Files: In Windows 10, you could have an application open and maximized such as a Word Document, PDF, etc. and you could just drag and drop it to another area, such as the 2nd screen without any issues. As soon as you clicked to drag it, it would just minimize itself not minimize as...
  6. I can't drag 'n drop files into open program taskbar icons anymore.

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't drag 'n drop files into open program taskbar icons anymore.: So, dragging files in the corresponding open program icon in the taskbar, used to bring the program in question in the foreground, where I was able to drop the file inside it and open it (queue mp3 files in music players, open videos on video editing programs etc.) For some...
  7. Can't drag and drop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't drag and drop: I have done: sfc /scannow DISM CheckHealth and RestoreHealth commands Restarted Windows Explorer Restarted Desktop Window Manager submitted by /u/TheTank18 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iinj3x/cant_drag_and_drop/
  8. Drag and drop files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drag and drop files: i have a touch pad thing and i cant drag and drop files into a diffrent folder how do i do this please help me, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop-files/834e0054-f3ba-477b-839c-d09481300874
  9. Can't drag and drop into certain programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't drag and drop into certain programs: [IMG] I can't drag any files into FL Studio, and it looks like the programs is 'locked' in some way There's this shield on my program icon, and it looks like it's related to the problem, since I've never had this issue, and this shield icon there before. As you can...
  10. Drag and drop files

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and drop files: [img] when dragging files in win 10 the icon is so big that u can not see where u r dragging to. Is there a way to turn this feature off ? IN THE SCREEN CAPTURE WHEN I DRAG A FILE THIS ICON GOES WITH THE DRAGGING FILE AND MAKE IT HARD TO SEE WHERE YOU ARE DROPPING IT....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i cant drag and drop files INTO ONLY ONE PROGRAM