Windows 10: I cant drag and replace

Discus and support I cant drag and replace in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want to drag and copy/replace from the desktop to another folder. ie be asked if I want to replace a file already there. Instead I can only move it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by UKdodger, Aug 26, 2019.

1. UKdodger Win User

I cant drag and replace

I want to drag and copy/replace from the desktop to another folder. ie be asked if I want to replace a file already there. Instead I can only move it using drag or by using cntl + drag make a copy of the file in destination the folder leaving me with two copies of the same file. How can I copy and replace? Thanks.

:)

UKdodger, Aug 26, 2019
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

Dragging apps to desktop for shortcuys

Hi Lance,

It's possible that some settings are preventing you from adding shortcuts to the desktop. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • Does this happen when you try dragging all apps to the desktop, or just a specific app?
    • Are you using an administrator account?
    • Is your computer connected to a private domain?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As an initial recommendation, we suggest following these steps as a workaround:

• Right-click on any empty part of the desktop.
    • Click New > Shortcut.
    • Navigate to the folder location of the app you want and select it.
    • Click OK.

We look forward to your response and the result of the initial troubleshooting.

Yolvi Ell, Aug 26, 2019
  3. Thanatica Win User
    Touchpad: Tap twice to drag

Here's how it works standardly:

1. Tap twice
    2. Hold down on the second tap
    3. Move around and you're dragging
    4. Release finger to stop dragging

Here's what I like it to do:

1. Tap twice
    2. Hold down on the second tap
    3. Move around and you're dragging
    4. Release finger
    5. Reposition finger and continue dragging by flicking the touchpad some more
    6. (repeat steps 4 & 5 as many times as desired)
    7. Release finger and perform one addditional tap to stop dragging

That's what it used to be like in the Windows 7 era with most touchpads. Some people found it annoying and disabled it, but I welcomed it.

I know dragging continues when your finger reaches the touchpad edges, but that I find greatly irritating because it looses all sense of precision. This mechanism is stupendously irritating when trying to pixel-precise drag a trackbar, or when doing some
    painting in photoshop on the go. Or just anything that requires precision.

So I'd like to disable "drag continues at touchpad edge" and enable "require additional tap to stop dragging".

So how can I do that?

If not possible, then please consider this a feature request.

Thanatica, Aug 26, 2019
  4. I cant drag and replace

Burning Files To cdr

I tried to drag a .txt file to the burn list, as suggested above, but it will not drop in. I get a message "+add to burn list" but I cannot get it to drop into the burn list. Is there another step I am missing?

CathleenBaker, Aug 26, 2019
Thema:

I cant drag and replace

1. I cant drag and replace - Similar Threads - cant drag replace

2. cant replace need help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant replace need help: So, I am converting from google account to Microsoft and I have a life worth of pictures in my google account I can currently go into my Microsoft photos and see the same pictures on both accounts I just want to make sure when I clean out my google account they will remain in...
  3. cant replace need help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant replace need help: So, I am converting from google account to Microsoft and I have a life worth of pictures in my google account I can currently go into my Microsoft photos and see the same pictures on both accounts I just want to make sure when I clean out my google account they will remain in...
  4. i cant drag folders to executable files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i cant drag folders to executable files: so recently I've been trying to make mods for some valve games but for some reason when I drag and drop folders to executables it doesn't let me, and I've seen that when I drag and drop executables to another, it looks like it was disabled by the system itself somehow, so now...
  5. i cant drag folders to executable files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cant drag folders to executable files: so recently I've been trying to make mods for some valve games but for some reason when I drag and drop folders to executables it doesn't let me, and I've seen that when I drag and drop executables to another, it looks like it was disabled by the system itself somehow, so now...
  6. i cant drag folders to executable files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I cant drag any of my files, help please??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cant drag any of my files, help please??: So I've always dragged my files without any problems, however ever since the update, I cannot drag any of my files! Help please, I can't drag any file from folder to folder or from folder to the desktop. I tried this "method" where people left click and click escape but it...
  8. Cant drag and drop favorites in Edge.

in Browsers and Email
    Cant drag and drop favorites in Edge.: Cant drag and drop favorites in Edge. Is it even possible? Thanks. 87479
  9. Cant drag and drop files in windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant drag and drop files in windows 10: i just cant drag things from the desktop to any folders i have to cut and past it.... any solution. 13960
  10. Dual screens (cant drag windows)

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual screens (cant drag windows): I have a secondary screen set up for movies or whatever while I play games and other things, there is a problem with dragging any program screen over to the secondary screen. For some reason when I try to drag it over it will just get stuck on the side of the screen and go...