Windows 10: I can't drag 'n drop files into open program taskbar icons anymore.

Discus and support I can't drag 'n drop files into open program taskbar icons anymore. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, dragging files in the corresponding open program icon in the taskbar, used to bring the program in question in the foreground, where I was able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Epoch, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Epoch Win User

I can't drag 'n drop files into open program taskbar icons anymore.

So, dragging files in the corresponding open program icon in the taskbar, used to bring the program in question in the foreground, where I was able to drop the file inside it and open it (queue mp3 files in music players, open videos on video editing programs etc.)

For some reason that doesnt happen anymore though, once the file Im dragging reaches the taskbar, the program comes in foreground but the file vanishes (so I can't drop it in the program), and gets pinned in the taskbar instead. What gives? I mean, Ive been doing the drag n drop thing at least since Windows 7, and I am sure it used to work without problems on Windows 10 as well (I am on 1909 btw).

Could be a coincidence, but Ive noticed the described behaviour changing after installing a new Logitech G502 Hero mouse. Ive tried uninstalling and have Windows reinstall its drivers but it didnt make a difference. Any ideas whats happening and how do I get the original (and presumably default?) behaviour back?

:)

Epoch, Oct 10, 2020
  2. MXZaidi Win User

Please Bring Back: Windows 10 - Jump List Drag-n-Drop Feature

Windows 7 used to allow you to right-click on the Excel/Word/Acrobat/PP/etc icon on the Taskbar to show you the recently opened files and the pinned files (called "Jump List"); and then drag-n-drop a file from the Jump List directly into your Outlook email.
    This was an incredibly efficient function in Windows 7. In Windows 10, the Jump Lists are still there but you cannot drag-n-drop the files; it only allows you to open a file.

Dear Microsoft Programmers Team -- please bring back this feature. Thank you.

MXZaidi, Oct 10, 2020
  3. werdplay Win User
    Excel Icon on taskbar does not open file, only program

Pin the program to your taskbar and drag the file to the icon on the taskbar (I haven't tried this with a OneDrive stored file though). Another way is to open the file, close it, then right click the icon on the taskbar. It'll list recent files which can be pinned (both local and online files work). Unfortunately, locally stored files do not open as I mentioned. OneDrive stored files do though. Hope that helps.

werdplay, Oct 10, 2020
  4. I can't drag 'n drop files into open program taskbar icons anymore.

Drag and drop from File Explorer to other programs

How come I can not drag and drop files into other programs anymore, by that way quickly open/import those files?

For my work, I use a lot of different files. On one monitor I have the programs I work in, on the other explorer.

When I want to use or import a file, I always just drag/dropped the file from the explorer to the program, and the program would react to it.

Now, in windows 10, this does not seem to be the case anymore. Just nothing happens. Now I have to use the programmenu to open up a different explorer and find the file. This is taking time.

I've done a little research, but as windows 10 is still very new, there is not much info around on this subject. Only thing I could find, was people suggesting disabling UAC, but this would disable several features, like Metro apps and the start menu.

Anyone with more info on this? Thanks in advance.

Pierre d'Es, Oct 10, 2020
Thema:

I can't drag 'n drop files into open program taskbar icons anymore.

1. I can't drag 'n drop files into open program taskbar icons anymore. - Similar Threads - can't drag drop

2. can't drag and drop files into address anymore with Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't drag and drop files into address anymore with Windows 11: Why has Microsoft removed this very useful feature? Now, instead of just dragging files up to the address bar and dropping them in the folder I'd like, I've got to COPY, go to the folder, PASTE the files, and then go back to the folder where I was working. In the past, I...
  3. can't drag and drop files into address anymore with Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't drag and drop files into address anymore with Windows 11: Why has Microsoft removed this very useful feature? Now, instead of just dragging files up to the address bar and dropping them in the folder I'd like, I've got to COPY, go to the folder, PASTE the files, and then go back to the folder where I was working. In the past, I...
  4. he drag-and-drop in the taskbar does not work anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    he drag-and-drop in the taskbar does not work anymore: Hello,It's been a few weeks that the drag and drop in task bar doesn't work anymore...However, since the 22h2 version it was working but since a few weeks it is not working anymore, and it is back to the way it was before... why?I am on W11 Professional Build 22621.900Thanks...
  5. he drag-and-drop in the taskbar does not work anymore

he drag-and-drop in the taskbar does not work anymore: Hello,It's been a few weeks that the drag and drop in task bar doesn't work anymore...However, since the 22h2 version it was working but since a few weeks it is not working anymore, and it is back to the way it was before... why?I am on W11 Professional Build 22621.900Thanks...
  6. Drag & drop onto a program open in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag & drop onto a program open in the taskbar: Hi, Does anyone have any idea why Microsoft removed the ability to drag and drop onto a program on the Taskbar in Win11? for example, a file onto an open email? That's a huge takeaway! Do they have plans to fix the problem?...
  7. Drag & drop onto a program open in the taskbar

Drag & drop onto a program open in the taskbar: Hi, Does anyone have any idea why Microsoft removed the ability to drag and drop onto a program on the Taskbar in Win11? for example, a file onto an open email? That's a huge takeaway! Do they have plans to fix the problem?...
  8. Can't drag and drop into certain programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't drag and drop into certain programs: [IMG] I can't drag any files into FL Studio, and it looks like the programs is 'locked' in some way There's this shield on my program icon, and it looks like it's related to the problem, since I've never had this issue, and this shield icon there before. As you can...
  9. I can't drag and drop files into programs on windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't drag and drop files into programs on windows 10: I make music for a living. I use many different daw's for this. Not too long ago I could drag a sound file from a folder, and drop it into one of my programs. Now when I try to do this I am met with a black circle with a slash through it as soon as I drag the file over the...
  10. Drag n Drop in Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag n Drop in Win 10: Can you drag & drop files from one Explorer window to another? This is by right clicking the file and moving it holding the mouse down, then release in the target location. It's always worked for me in XP but Win 10 does not. It will however, r-click copy and then r-click...