Windows 10: i cant get access 'permission' for old drive my documents folder

Discus and support i cant get access 'permission' for old drive my documents folder in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there hope i can recieve some assistance. i just took out the hard disk drive from an older laptop which had windows 7 on it, i put this into a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MunirSafdar, Jan 12, 2020.

1. i cant get access 'permission' for old drive my documents folder

Hi there hope i can recieve some assistance. i just took out the hard disk drive from an older laptop which had windows 7 on it, i put this into a exterior shell and have converted it to an external hard drive.

i've managed to get access to the data but unfortunately there are some critical files in 'my documents' folder of the C: which was the system drive. after researching a bit online i have found some guidance, i've gone into properties - security tab- users etc.. i went pretty deep deep inside and i've initiated a process whereby windows is "setting security information" on the root user file which contains my documents. the process is running and it is taking considerable time as it is going to every file and changing permissions.

the problem i am having is.

1 while the process was running an error came saying that it cannot apply security permission settings on administrator the existing systems administrator which is me is seizing control for my documents, my videos my pictures.

more specifically 'an error occurred while applying security information to: Users/MAS/my documents.'

what do i do now i'm not sure how to proceed? i've hit continue but what should i do to get access to my documents eventually. further there was no password on my older system of any sort, so i'm hoping i can get access. appreciate if someone could assist please, thanks.

:)

MunirSafdar, Jan 12, 2020
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile i cant get access 'permission' for old drive my documents folder :)

Frogger, Jan 12, 2020
  3. Losing permissions to Documents folder after reboot

This behavior started this morning as far as I have been able to determine. It seems to be only affecting the Documents folder for my machine account. I determined this after I was unable to start Outlook (due to lack of permissions)

• I am using a Microsoft account to log in.
    • I am still shown as the owner of the root user folder, and of the Documents subfolder.
    • I can set myself full access permissions to the Documents folder.
    • After reboot, entire entry for my account disappears from the Documents folder. It still shows in other folders in the user folder.
    My user folder permissions after reboot.

Some screenshots that show the situation after reboot. Note that the Documents folder has only the group permissions, not the user permissions. Again, this only seems to affect the Documents folder under my account.

i cant get access 'permission' for old drive my documents folder b784b75f-1610-44f4-9274-6ad73ce95224.jpg

Edited to add: I have done malware scans with Defender and Malwarebytes, each came back clean.

SolarWindSurfer, Jan 12, 2020
  4. i cant get access 'permission' for old drive my documents folder

Recover "My Documents" folder documents from Old Hard Drive

I am trying to recover my GF's four-year architecture work (assignments and designs) from her recently gone-for-good Asus N73 laptop running Windows 10. I have detached the hard drive from the laptop and connected it to an external hard drive case.

Here's what I have done to get the data back:

1. Under the old C: drive, under Users\Administrator, I could see all the default Document folders. But according to my girlfriend, quite a few documents are missing.
    2. I right-clicked the user profile folder and hit properties. I found that the total disk space used by this folder is much bigger than all the visible files and directories added up together.
    3. While copying the "Administrator" folder it is asking me the for permission to copy files with some weird username prefix.
    4. I tried to boot the OS from the old hard drive by selecting the USB boot option from my BIOS. The OS starts with Windows 10, but still I could not see all the files that mentioned by my girlfriend under C:\Users

What have I done wrong? What other steps I have missed? If the documents were not encrypted, why I could not see them in the place they should be?

HappyProgrammer, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

i cant get access 'permission' for old drive my documents folder

1. i cant get access 'permission' for old drive my documents folder - Similar Threads - cant access 'permission'

2. Not able to access MY documents of old drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to access MY documents of old drive: I recently installed windows on my new SSD and got only one boot option,my previous hard disk is still intact ,but I'm not able to access MY documents of that disk ,how can I bring back my settings and move necessary files to new ssd? I can still access files ,but not my...
  3. Not able to access MY documents of old drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to access MY documents of old drive: I recently installed windows on my new SSD and got only one boot option,my previous hard disk is still intact ,but I'm not able to access MY documents of that disk ,how can I bring back my settings and move necessary files to new ssd? I can still access files ,but not my...
  4. How do I get access to my users folder on my old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get access to my users folder on my old hard drive?: So recently, my old computer broke. I've purchased a new computer but wanted to keep my old files from my old computer, so I removed the hard drive and connected it to my new computer. When I try to go into my users folder, it says, "You don't currently have permission to...
  5. How do I get access to my users folder on my old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get access to my users folder on my old hard drive?: So recently, my old computer broke. I've purchased a new computer but wanted to keep my old files from my old computer, so I removed the hard drive and connected it to my new computer. When I try to go into my users folder, it says, "You don't currently have permission to...
  6. "You don't have permission to access this folder" I cant access my USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "You don't have permission to access this folder" I cant access my USB: I can't use my USBs and hard drives because of this. Every time I try to connect USBs and hardrive the same message keeps coming up. I've tried to fix it "following step by step by step tutorials from everywhere but it just won't get fixed. I'm sick and tired of it. I need...
  7. Cant remove Documents Folder from Controlled Folder Access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cant remove Documents Folder from Controlled Folder Access: Hi, i want to activate this option as it seems pretty useful for protection, but it blocks all my games from saving on documents folder That has nothing but app files as i save my stuff in another drive and its a mess to add every game to exception and lose progress. Is...
  8. New install now no permission to access any file or folders old drives

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New install now no permission to access any file or folders old drives: I had an older PC running windows 10 which was installed on an old HDD. I finally picked up a SSD for it. I opted for a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD. Everything seemed to go okay until I tried to access anything but what Windows installed. Every folder, file,...
  9. Cant get My documents folder to retore to default

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant get My documents folder to retore to default: I accidentally changed the location of the my documents folder to what seems to be my desktop. I have followed all the instructions i could find on this forum and internet with no luck. It appears to have duplicated my desktop which is a massive pain for saving documents to...
  10. Cant access my documents

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant access my documents: I do hope that this is the correct place to ask this. Turned on this acer aslpire E1-572 today and when I selected the document and pictures etc from the start nothing happens but when I go to the file explorer and select my doc's folder I get this box comes on screen.Any...