Windows 10: i can't get documents to open in notepad

Discus and support i can't get documents to open in notepad in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; i can't get document to open with notepad.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Leroy Brown (lbrown12), Oct 6, 2018.

1. i can't get documents to open in notepad

i can't get document to open with notepad.

:)

Leroy Brown (lbrown12), Oct 6, 2018
  2. Romel Ram Win User

how can edit the format of documents in notepad

Hi Ramon,

We understand that you'd like to edit the format of documents using Notepad application.

If you're trying to open an Office document like Word or Excel using Notepad, be informed that since the app only detect pure text, it will lose all the format and objects originally came with the document.

You can follow these steps to open a document in Notepad:

1. Right-click the document file.

2. Select Open With, and select Notepad. If not its not on the list, click
    Choose another app.

3. Select Notepad, and click OK.

Kindly post back if you have further concerns.

Romel Ram, Oct 6, 2018
  3. Bree Win User
    Notepad consuming cpu 40%

Your screenshot of Task Manager and the notepad.exe properties shows the same size and creation date as in @dalchina's earlier screenshot. So it looks like it is the real notepad that's running.

But - it isn't running the way it should. In your Task Manager there should be a > to the left of notepad, and clicking on it should open up a list of the Notepad instances that are running, along with the name of the document that's open (or 'Untitled - Notepad' if none).

Yours doesn't show that (compare it with dalchina's screenshot). Notepad is running - yes, but not the way it's supposed to. It appears to be in the list of background processes, not in the list of Apps where it should be. Could something be trying to run it as a service? Perhaps some malware set this up, but failed to replace the genuine notepad.exe with its counterfeit one?

As a first step I'd look at the Startup tab in Task Manager for clues.

Bree, Oct 6, 2018
  4. i can't get documents to open in notepad

Notepad- opening a new document

In a notepad document without inputted data, if I click File -> New, is there an action taken? I mean, will it open a new blank notepad document or it will remain the same ( no action taken ) ?

JayrSoriano, Oct 6, 2018
Thema:

i can't get documents to open in notepad

1. i can't get documents to open in notepad - Similar Threads - can't documents open

2. Can't open notepad - FIX

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open notepad - FIX: Works on: Version Dev (OS Build: 21343.1000) Hi there! I don't need any help with that thing. I just want to help you, if you got problems with opening notepad. I've got this problem for a few days, and today I fixed it. The problem was, that you can open notepad only by...
  3. All notepad documents open as blank

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All notepad documents open as blank: If I try to open any saved note, written with Notepad, windows simply opens a new blank Notepad file instead. I have to drag and drop my saved note to the Notepad app to actually open and edit it. Already tried DISM -RestoreHealth, with no file corruptions found...
  4. Text Documents and Notepads Won't Open?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Text Documents and Notepads Won't Open?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/chqnging [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jub4yq/text_documents_and_notepads_wont_open/
  5. Can't open documents

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open documents: In Word, trying to open documents w/i particular file. I get a pop-up: "Word experienced error trying to open the file. Try: -Check the file permissions for the document; -Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space; -Open the file with the Text Recovery...
  6. Saved Notepad document opening blank

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saved Notepad document opening blank: My boyfriend and I just moved into a new apartment, and we won’t have internet until tomorrow. My boyfriend writes scripts for videos he makes using online programs generally, but as we’re without internet for the time being, he’s been using Notepad instead. In the past two...
  7. text documents (*.txt) on notepad and it wont open

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    text documents (*.txt) on notepad and it wont open: my computer has been hacked and all of sudden they sent this text documents and it say push enter but it doesn't do anything. also does anyone know how to get the hackers off my computer... any help would be appreciated Moved from: Apps on Windows 10 / Other Windows...
  8. text documents (*.txt) on notepad and it wont open

text documents (*.txt) on notepad and it wont open: my computer has been hacked and all of sudden they sent this text documents and it say push enter but it doesn't do anything. also does anyone know how to get the hackers off my computer... any help would be appreciated...
  9. Notepad document

Notepad document: Help Help Help My daughters notepad document has turned into the below. I desperately need to retrieve, any help would be much appreciated! ###################################################################################...
  10. Can't open documents

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open documents: I have windows10 installed but some virus infected my firefox browser and i had no option but to refresh my pc which i didn't know would install windows again ,previously when i upgraded to windows 10 from windows7 .. i could see windows.old folder in which i had all my 7's...