Windows 10: I can't get rid of the "Update and Shutdown" on my power button menu.

Discus and support I can't get rid of the "Update and Shutdown" on my power button menu. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have an older system from 2011 that cannot be updated to the Windows feature update 20H2 or else it crashes every 5 minutes. I am currently on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ZmaKicksYou, Aug 3, 2021.

1. I can't get rid of the "Update and Shutdown" on my power button menu.

So I have an older system from 2011 that cannot be updated to the Windows feature update 20H2 or else it crashes every 5 minutes. I am currently on 1909 and it works fine. The problem I have is that Microsoft seems to be forcing me to update now and always displays "Update and Shutdown" and "Update and Restart" in my power button menu. I can't just shut my computer down or restart. I've been putting it in sleep mode ever since this started or using the "hard" physical reset button on my tower.How do I get rid of of these 2 things and get back my normal shutdown and restart options?i7 2600k

:)

ZmaKicksYou, Aug 3, 2021

2. missing sleep menu in power

Hi,

Missing Sleep option in Power menu is usually caused by outdated or corrupted device drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to ask the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • When you check the Power options in Control Panel, did you mean that the Sleep option is not displaying in the Shutdown settings?

If you haven't check the Shutdown settings in Control Panel, we suggest to do so and make sure that the Sleep option is enabled. To check the Shutdown settings, follow these steps:

• In Cortana search, type control panel.
    • Choose Control Panel from the list.
    • Click System and Security and select Power Options.
    • Click Choose what the power buttons do in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Shutdown settings, put a tick in the Sleep
      box and click Save changes.

If the Sleep option is already enabled and it still doesn't appear in the Power menu, we recommend that you keep the device drivers up-to-date. For your reference, check this article on how to
    update drivers in Windows 10.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Gerard Qui, Aug 3, 2021
  3. Marby Rey Win User
    SHUTDOWN BUTTON !!

Hi,

To create shutdown button shortcut, kindly follow these steps.

• Right-click on the desktop, select New and then choose Shortcut.
    • In the shortcut location box, enter the command for shutdown shutdown.exe -s -t 00.
    • Click Next, then type the name of this shortcut.
    • Click Finish.
    • Right-click the shortcut on the desktop, then select Pin to taskbar.

Let us know the outcome.

Marby Rey, Aug 3, 2021
  4. I can't get rid of the "Update and Shutdown" on my power button menu.

How to remove Power Button Menu - if you find it useless.

Suggestion for Nokia.

As there is only 1 button to produce impulses, number of impulses sent by human should have meaning:

• Standby
    • Hibernate
    • Shutdown
    Nokia Power Management would show its Power Button menu on first click and launch (5 sec) timer, if Power Button was not pressed during that time (or keyborad or mouse selection made), first option should activate (Standby). If Power Button is clicked for
    second time, the (Hibernate) option becomes selected, and timer is reset and if nothing happen, after (5 sec) timeout the option (Hibernate) activates.

This should allow single button operation of all power functions of Booklet.

The selection could be sound (voice) assisted, for cases when Booklet lid is closed.

myroslav---01, Aug 3, 2021
Thema:

I can't get rid of the "Update and Shutdown" on my power button menu.

1. I can't get rid of the "Update and Shutdown" on my power button menu. - Similar Threads - can't rid Update

2. win 10 can't edit shutdown settings and power button doesn't shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    win 10 can't edit shutdown settings and power button doesn't shutdown: can't edit shut down settings and power button doesn't shut down the laptop There's no hardware fault. The button turns the laptop on just fine, but when I press it when the computer is running it just does nothing no matter what I set it to do in the power settings...
  3. win 10 can't edit shutdown settings and power button doesn't shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win 10 can't edit shutdown settings and power button doesn't shutdown: can't edit shut down settings and power button doesn't shut down the laptop There's no hardware fault. The button turns the laptop on just fine, but when I press it when the computer is running it just does nothing no matter what I set it to do in the power settings...
  4. win 10 can't edit shutdown settings and power button doesn't shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I get rid of bsod on shutdown

How do I get rid of bsod on shutdown: minidump fileHi all I have a dell 5414 that temporarily displays the blue screen of death on shutdown only . The bugcheck code is 7e. I updated the drivers and issue is still occurring. I swapped out my current ssd for the original upgraded ssd a while back and bsod is still...
  6. Why do I have to click 'Power' button twice to get the shutdown options menu.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I have to click 'Power' button twice to get the shutdown options menu.: This is a brand-new machine. There is no other software installed other than Windows 11. I read another similar thread that says "Some hardware causes this issue" but as a software developer I find this explanation difficult to accept....
  7. Why do I have to click 'Power' button twice to get the shutdown options menu.

Why do I have to click 'Power' button twice to get the shutdown options menu.: This is a brand-new machine. There is no other software installed other than Windows 11. I read another similar thread that says "Some hardware causes this issue" but as a software developer I find this explanation difficult to accept....
  8. Power buttons menu is INCOMPLETE!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power buttons menu is INCOMPLETE!!!: Hi, Today When I went to power options and then I went to the option 'Choose what the power button does', and there I clicked on an option 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' There is only an option of Lock and Sleep. But earlier there used to be Shutdown,...
  9. Start Up Menu Shutdown Button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Up Menu Shutdown Button: When I Go To Shut down My Laptop I Hit the Start Up Button and hit shutdown and it takes me to a shut down windows screen asking me what I want to do. It use to be already set on shut down but now set on Switch User Anyone know what I do to get it back to open with shut...
  10. Change power button to 'Update and shutdown'

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change power button to 'Update and shutdown': Hello, The situation right now is that when i press the power button my computer shuts down and thus ignores the pending updates. I would like to configure the power button to automatically update my computer and shutdown. I am using: Edition: Windows 10 Enterprise...