Windows 10: I can't get rid of these empty folders on my desktop icons

Discus and support I can't get rid of these empty folders on my desktop icons in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Waffles_in_a_box [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Waffles_in_a_box, Sep 23, 2020.

1. I can't get rid of these empty folders on my desktop icons

/u/Waffles_in_a_box, Sep 23, 2020
  2. Mr McC Win User

Weird desktop icon behaviour on Steam

Yes, they are; however, when I right click on the "blue sphere" icon to change it and browse to the corresponding folder inside the Steam folder, it lets me go through all the steps, but the blue sphere remains. *Confused I can't get rid of these empty folders on my desktop icons :confused:

Mr McC, Sep 23, 2020
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Sep 23, 2020
  4. I can't get rid of these empty folders on my desktop icons

Icons on the desktop

Hi,

There are several reasons for your desktop icons not to stay put such as changes in registry, system cache, or an enabled
    Auto arrange icon setting. To rectify your issue with keeping your icons arranged, we suggest that you right-click on any blank space on your desktop, click
    View, then make sure that the check mark for Auto arrange icon is removed.

If the issue persist even after performing the steps above, you can rebuild your icon cache. This method solves most issues with incorrectly displayed icons. Here are the steps to do so:

• Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the
      Run box.
    • Type %userprofile%, then hit Enter.
    • Go to the AppData folder, then open the Local
      folder.
    • Select the IconCache file, then click Delete.

If you're having challenges finding the IconCache file, you have to make sure that your hidden items are visible. Below are the steps:

• Type hidden in Cortana, the Windows search bar or your task bar.
    • Select Show hidden files and folders from the result.
    • Go to View tab.
    • Enable the Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    • Hit Apply, then click OK.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

I can't get rid of these empty folders on my desktop icons

1. I can't get rid of these empty folders on my desktop icons - Similar Threads - can't rid empty

2. I click and drag a Internet Shortcut folder to my desktop. Now I can't get rid of it. I've...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I click and drag a Internet Shortcut folder to my desktop. Now I can't get rid of it. I've...: I click and drag a Internet Shortcut folder to my desktop. Now I can't get rid of it. I've tried left click and delete. I've tried click and drag to Recycle Bin. Nothing. No error message pops up....
  3. Can't get rid of red microphone icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get rid of red microphone icon on desktop: Hello,I have this annoying red overlay on my Windows 11 desktop that I can't get rid of.All I did was click on the microphone key on my new Logitech Pop keyboard which fired up the Voice Access software. The one that opens with Win+H.Ever since I am greeted with this red...
  4. Can't get rid of red microphone icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't get rid of red microphone icon on desktop: Hello,I have this annoying red overlay on my Windows 11 desktop that I can't get rid of.All I did was click on the microphone key on my new Logitech Pop keyboard which fired up the Voice Access software. The one that opens with Win+H.Ever since I am greeted with this red...
  5. folder icons : empty folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folder icons : empty folder: I am in process of downloading thousands of photo files into hundreds of subfolders... I am finding that LOTS of these subfolders do not contain ANY photo files aka: empty...QUESTION: Is there a way/method of using the subfolders ICONS to determine if there are any files in...
  6. Empty folder on Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Empty folder on Desktop: For some reason, a folder called "Moba" keeps appearing on my desktop. It is empty but every few days it appears out of nowhere. Anyway to track which programme is creating this? I am running Windows 10 Pro 20H2 (Build 19042.746). Thanks https://imgur.com/a/sSSkfjz...
  7. A deleted empty folder keeps reappearing on the Desktop. How to get rid of this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A deleted empty folder keeps reappearing on the Desktop. How to get rid of this?: I delete it and also empty the Recycle Bin. Then a few hours later, it shows up again. I am using Windows 10. I ran a Quick Scan using Microsoft Safety Scanner. And no virus, malware was found. submitted by /u/SnooLobsters7431 [link] [comments]...
  8. Empty folder on desktop

Empty folder on desktop: I just had an empty folder titled "removeable storage devices" appear on my desktop. I have no idea where it came from. I cannot delete it. Can anybody tell me what it is or why it appeared?...
  9. Desktop folder stuck with an "empty folder" icon

Desktop folder stuck with an "empty folder" icon: This is what I see from my user folder: the desktop is now an "empty folder" icon and I am not able to change it back to the original icon. [ATTACH] I even tried every method on this well made guide but nothing worked....
  10. Can't get rid of Contacts icon on Windows Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't get rid of Contacts icon on Windows Desktop: A month or so ago, the Contacts icon showed up on my desktop. I didn't think much about it and just deleted it, but it came back a few hours later and has kept coming back since. I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem. Can anyone tell me where I can change the...