Windows 10: I can't get Windows 10 PRO (64bit) back after a factor reset

Discus and support I can't get Windows 10 PRO (64bit) back after a factor reset in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Please help me understand what I am missing here. Here is my current system information: Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.4GHz Ram 32 GB System type... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JoeyCro, Jul 28, 2019.

1. JoeyCro Win User

I can't get Windows 10 PRO (64bit) back after a factor reset

Please help me understand what I am missing here. Here is my current system information:

Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.4GHz

Ram 32 GB

System type 64-bit OS, with x64-based processor

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 1903

Insalled: 7/27/2019

OS build: 18362.267

Activation: "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account".

Option: "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro to add features that help you connect to company networks, access one PC from another, encrypt your data and more."

I recently did a factory reset of my Dell XPS 8700 because of a dead video card and other system issues that I couldn't repair. My system went back to Windows 8.1. Naturally, I did not create a usb to reinstall "Windows 10 Pro" prior to doing that. I studied the community posts here and found the Microsoft website where "Windows 10" can be downloaded:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

I did that and now I have "Windows 10 Home" edition on my computer. This edition of "Windows 10 Home" has been automatically activated, because there is a digital license attached to my Microsoft account from when I did the upgrade of Windows 8.1 to "Windows 10 Pro" during the free upgrade period in 2016. It's not clear to me why I'm seeing the "Windows 10 Home" edition, and why is that getting activated - it doesn't make much sense because I've always had Windows 10 Pro. At any rate, I really need to get back to "Windows 10 Pro" - but I do not see any way of downloading and installing it on this system without first providing a product key through the Microsoft store (or downloading after purchasing digitally, of course).

1. Is there a way that I can download Windows 10 Pro on my machine without a product key?

I believe that the digital key attached to my system and/or Microsoft account will activate Windows 10 Pro, since I've been running it ever since the free upgrade in 2016...if only there was a way to download it and/or create a usb installation drive. I feel that I'm missing something since the "Windows 10" free download page (see the link provided above) appears to suggest that you can only download "Windows 10", and indeed "Windows 10" is the only option given when trying to make an installation usb and/or immediate installation.

2. Are "Windows 10 Pro" and "Windows 10 Home" being phased out and there will only be a "Windows 10" from now on? If that's the case, why is my system now showing that it's running an activated version of "Windows 10 Home"? Shouldn't it be showing that it's running an activated version of "Windows 10" instead?

This is so darn confusing. Any help would be very much appreciated.

:)

JoeyCro, Jul 28, 2019
  2. Garyw Win User

kill dwm.exe windows 10 pro 64bit

I found this link

What is dwm.exe and why is it using so much memory?

With this note: "The steps below only work for Windows Vista and Windows 7. Desktop Windows Manager is not displayed in the Services window on Windows 8 and Windows 10, and therefore cannot be turned off or disabled."

These links have suggestions for improving performance:

dwm.exe Desktop Window Manager High CPU on Windows 10 [Solved] - Driver Easy
    Fix: Dwm.exe issues in Windows 10
    I would start here:

I can't get Windows 10 PRO (64bit) back after a factor reset [​IMG]

Garyw, Jul 28, 2019
  3. Custom Scaling Factor keeps resetting after latest Windows 10 update

Hi,

To address your concern with Custom Scaling Factor, we suggest you to update your display drivers with the steps listed below:

1. Press Windows logo key + X on your keyboard, then click Device Manager.

2. Expand Display Drivers to find the name of your device, then right-click (or tap and hold) it, and select
    Update Driver Software.

3. Follow steps to update display drivers.

Update us on the result.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Jul 28, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 28, 2019
Thema:

1. I can't get Windows 10 PRO (64bit) back after a factor reset - Similar Threads - can't PRO 64bit

2. I reset my computer and lost Windows 10 Pro. Can I get it back?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I reset my computer and lost Windows 10 Pro. Can I get it back?: I will do my best to explain my situation as best as I can. Sorry if it is too long of a post.I use a MacBook Pro, and in order to play games/do some schoolwork, I had to download Windows using BootCamp. How it works is that when downloading Windows, you select which version...
  3. Windows 10 pro 64bit

Windows 10 pro 64bit: I'm looking for the download link for windows 10 pro 64 bit. All I can find is windows 10 home. I have a key already for windows 10 pro. But I need to wipe my system to install windows 10 it has really old windows atm...
  4. I can't get back to the desktop on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't get back to the desktop on Windows 10: My young daughter did something on my laptop and now the start menu appears to be stuck open. If I right click on the start menu button it gives me a desktop link, but when I click on it, it only shows me the desktop background with no icons, if I click anywhere on it, it...
  5. Factor Reset Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Factor Reset Problem: Hello, I am currently experiencing an issue when I try to factor reset my PC. I get the error message, "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made." I would love for some help in solving this issue. - Mehar...
  6. Getting Windows 10 Pro back after laptop being repaired and reset back to factory version...

Getting Windows 10 Pro back after laptop being repaired and reset back to factory version...: My laptop was repaired by totally changing mainboard and harddrive. I was had purchased an upgrade to windows 10 pro via the windows store, they reset it back to windows 10 home that it originally came wit when they replaced the mainboard. How do I get it back?...
  7. Can't get windows 10 back

Can't get windows 10 back: Hello, Please read my problem fully! I used to use Windows 7 a while ago before I dual booted by installing Windows 10 on Local Disk G partition. And yesterday i thought of formatting C Drive which had Windows 7 installed on. After having tried formatting it from This PC...
  8. getting back windows 10 Pro

getting back windows 10 Pro: My computer crashed. I had to reformat the hard disk and have the re-installation done again. The current laptop is now running on Windows 10 Home edition. I upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro back in Oct 2017. How do i get back the Pro edition onto my laptop?...
  9. Re-upgrading from Windows 7 pro 64bit to Windows 10 pro 64bit

Re-upgrading from Windows 7 pro 64bit to Windows 10 pro 64bit: I had a activated version of Windows 7 pro 64 bit which got automatically approved for upgrade to Windows 10 pro 64 bit some months ago. The upgrade to Windows 10 took place before the free upgrade deadline. I had a boot issue with Windows 10 after I merged some unused...
  10. Can't reinstall Windows 10 Pro 64bit

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't reinstall Windows 10 Pro 64bit: I originally upgraded to Win 10 over Win 8.1 when it first came out. Recently it started to slow up and I decided to reinstall from a DVD which I'd burnt as ISO disc from Win10 software from Microsoft download site. I had also saved the product code for reinstalling....