Windows 10: I can't install a program with extension .msi

Discus and support I can't install a program with extension .msi in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings all, I couldn't really find a perfect forum to put this in, sorry if I missed one. I d/l a program today from sourceforge.net - here's the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hooked, May 1, 2019.

1. hooked Win User

I can't install a program with extension .msi

Greetings all,

I couldn't really find a perfect forum to put this in, sorry if I missed one.
    I d/l a program today from sourceforge.net - here's the file name. FFbatch_setup_1.6.6_x64.msi
    I don't see very many programs with .msi extension, but I've had them before and installed them w/o problem.
    I did google search and I found a few hits but only one was close to my scenario. It said Msiexec.exe Access is Denied Error When Installing Programs
    I'm not getting any access errors, I get nothing. The file just sits there. I looked at the security and I have Read & Read/Execute. If I searched further back, I saw some hits with "Problem with Windows Installer"
    but I haven't had this problem until today.
    I'm sure I've installed other .msi programs in the past few months.

Do you guys know if there's a specific service that s/b running for the msi install to work?
    Any thoughts?

Thanks

:)

hooked, May 1, 2019

2. the file extension .msi is not correctly associated to Microsoft Windows Installer

Hello,

I have updated Windows 10 to latest build and now that I have noticed that, I don't know for what reason,

the file extension .msi is not correctly associated to Microsoft Windows Installer I would like to know

how I can fix this problem.

Does someone know how can I restore the .msi files to the correct program?

From Windows settings I can only select an app from the store to be associated to the file type,

and windows installer doesn't appear in the list.

LucioAlfano, May 1, 2019
  3. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, May 1, 2019
  4. I can't install a program with extension .msi

Windows Installer Error: This installation package cannot be opened.

Hi AJ,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We are glad to provide the assistance required to help you answer your query.

The above error can occur if the locally cached Windows Installer package (*.msi) file is damaged or corrupted.

To rectify the above, I suggest that you try the steps mentioned below and check if you are able to install the software successfully.

• Open the \Windows\Installer folder on your computer's hard disk.
    • Right-click any file with an .msi extension.
    • Click Properties on the shortcut menu. The
      Subject
      box on the Summary tab contains the name of the product that installed the .msi file.
    • Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each .msi file in the \Installer folder, and delete the .msi file for the software that you are trying to install.

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, May 1, 2019
Thema:

I can't install a program with extension .msi

1. I can't install a program with extension .msi - Similar Threads - can't install program

2. i can't install a msi file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i can't install a msi file.: Hi.My laptop is not a private pc. It is associated with an organization. I can't change the "choose where to get appsa' at all. My pc edition is Windows 10 pro and the version is 22H2. Please help. Thank you....
  3. i can't install a msi file.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i can't install a msi file.: Hi.My laptop is not a private pc. It is associated with an organization. I can't change the "choose where to get appsa' at all. My pc edition is Windows 10 pro and the version is 22H2. Please help. Thank you....
  4. i can't install a msi file.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. .msi extension "Window Installer Package" Can they be removed or not

.msi extension "Window Installer Package" Can they be removed or not: I need to cleanup disk space and these are large files.Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msi-extension-window-installer-package-can-they-be/c62f72c6-b5e2-4346-91d9-a8fcaad4c314
  6. .msi extension "Window Installer Package" Can they be removed or not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .msi extension "Window Installer Package" Can they be removed or not: I need to cleanup disk space and these are large files.Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msi-extension-window-installer-package-can-they-be/c62f72c6-b5e2-4346-91d9-a8fcaad4c314
  7. .msi extension file not installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .msi extension file not installing: .msi extension file is not installing. It stuck on installation window. I have tried other .msi file but still failed. I have attached a screenshot hope it will help....
  8. .msi extension file not installing

.msi extension file not installing: .msi extension file is not installing. It stuck on installation window. I have tried other .msi file but still failed. I have attached a screenshot hope it will help....
  9. I can't install a program with extension .msi

I can't install a program with extension .msi: Greetings all, I couldn't really find a perfect forum to put this in, sorry if I missed one. I d/l a program today from sourceforge.net - here's the file name. FFbatch_setup_1.6.6_x64.msi I don't see very many programs with .msi extension, but I've had them before and...
  10. Can't Install Programs That Use msi Installers

Can't Install Programs That Use msi Installers: Running Windows 10 Home (creators update), and I am unable to install programs that use a msi installer (as opposed to exe installers). I googled this issue, and found this Microsoft Community post. I tried unregistering and reregistering the msiexec service, as it...