Windows 10: I can't install games from the xbox app onto my D drive

Discus and support I can't install games from the xbox app onto my D drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have been using the xbox app for almost 2 years now and have never encountered this problem until now. Since I built my pc, I have used my C... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KazeBuke, Apr 2, 2021.

1. KazeBuke Win User

I can't install games from the xbox app onto my D drive

Hi,

I have been using the xbox app for almost 2 years now and have never encountered this problem until now. Since I built my pc, I have used my C drive as primary, for my OS to run on. Any additional apps, software, or games I installed on my D drive. Both of my drives are internal

All of a sudden, my xbox app is telling me that my drive isn't set up to install games. If I follow the prompts and try to change my default app install location I get prompted by the error message shown below.

I can't install games from the xbox app onto my D drive 3e6f0155-b9e2-42f7-88a3-a70993d18acc?upload=true.png

This hasn't been a problem for 4 years and it pops out of nowhere.

Please advise me on how to fix this annoying issue ASAP!

:)

KazeBuke, Apr 2, 2021

2. Installing to a second Drive. D: or external (Non Boot up Drives)

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are looking for an option to move the game location from the C drive to the Drive D, which is an external drive.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if that resolves your issue on both laptop and Desktop.

1. As usual install the game on the PC’s in
      C Drive.
    2. Insert the external
      D drive
      to the PC.
    3. Press Windows + I key from the keyboard to launch
      Settings.
    4. Select Apps and click on
      Apps & features
      from the left pane.
    5. Search for the installed game from the list on the right pane.
    6. Single click on the game and select
      Move.
    7. Select the D drive under
      Choose a drive
      where you want to move the game.
    8. Restart the PC with the external drive connected and then launch the game.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Apr 2, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Savings Microsoft store games/xbox beta games to D drive

Hi StringerJSY

Do you have a WindowsApps folder on your D Drive that contains the previous installations of those games and are you unable to delete that folder?

If so:

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd

From the resulting list, right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Run each of these commands, one at a time and hit Enter

(Replace X with the appropriate drive letter)

takeown /F "D:\WindowsApps" /A /R /D Y

icacls "D:\WindowsApps" /T /grant administrators:F

rmdir /s /q "D:\WindowsApps"

Then close Command Prompt and restart (not shut down) your PC . . .

DaveM121, Apr 2, 2021
  4. I can't install games from the xbox app onto my D drive

Installing xbox apps to another drive

I own xbox game pass and recently I tried to install a game on my D: drive but when I tried the app said that drive wasn't set up to install xbox apps. It linked me to settings so I clicked on it and tried to change the install location for apps but whenever
    it asks me:

Delete other apps?

This drive has apps from another device. To use this drive, the other apps must first be deleted.

Do you want to continue?

When I click yes it says there was an error and I should try later. The error code was 0x80070005.

BitAgenda106685, Apr 2, 2021
Thema:

I can't install games from the xbox app onto my D drive

1. I can't install games from the xbox app onto my D drive - Similar Threads - can't install games

2. Installing Xbox App games to my D: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Xbox App games to my D: drive: Hello, I’m running Windows 11 Version 23H2 I am currently dealing with an issue with downloading games on my StorageD: Hardrive on my PC using the Xbox App. It’s only allowing me to install on my C: drive, but it’s a smaller drive that has my operating system on it. When I go...
  3. Installing Xbox App games to my D: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Xbox App games to my D: drive: Hello, I’m running Windows 11 Version 23H2 I am currently dealing with an issue with downloading games on my StorageD: Hardrive on my PC using the Xbox App. It’s only allowing me to install on my C: drive, but it’s a smaller drive that has my operating system on it. When I go...
  4. Can't install downloaded game in Xbox app onto my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install downloaded game in Xbox app onto my pc: I was gifted Torchlight III to play on my pc. I downloaded the game to my xbox app but can't install it. A pop up says We'll install this game to a new folder in the selected location. c: Unknown available. The install button is also blacked out and can't be selected. I have...
  5. Can't install downloaded game in Xbox app onto my pc

Can't install downloaded game in Xbox app onto my pc: I was gifted Torchlight III to play on my pc. I downloaded the game to my xbox app but can't install it. A pop up says We'll install this game to a new folder in the selected location. c: Unknown available. The install button is also blacked out and can't be selected. I have...
  6. I cant install games from microsoft store onto my D drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I cant install games from microsoft store onto my D drive: Hello.My C drive for my computer is puny compared to the D drive, I want to install Doom eternal, but can't because my c drive doesnt have the space to be on the c drive,. And I can't find where I can change the Install directory so i can Download it directly on my D drive....
  7. I cant install games from microsoft store onto my D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant install games from microsoft store onto my D drive: Hello.My C drive for my computer is puny compared to the D drive, I want to install Doom eternal, but can't because my c drive doesnt have the space to be on the c drive,. And I can't find where I can change the Install directory so i can Download it directly on my D drive....
  8. I cant install games from microsoft store onto my D drive

9. I can't install games/apps from Microsoft Store/XBOX Game Pass Beta onto my D: drive and it...

I can't install games/apps from Microsoft Store/XBOX Game Pass Beta onto my D: drive and it...: I've been trying for a couple of days to install a game from the Xbox Game Pass Beta app and it won't let me install to any drive other than the windows directory. I don't have a lot of space on my windows drive as it's just a small SSD drive and I'm going to fill it up with...
  10. Can't Install onto D-Drive

Can't Install onto D-Drive: Hello all, I can't seem to download Outer Worlds to anything but my C drive, which is almost out of space. I've tried changing the default download location for apps to the D-Drive, but the download page for Outer Worlds did not recognize this. How can I change this, or...