Windows 10: I can't install the W10 20H2 update even after following ALL troubleshooting steps!!!

Discus and support I can't install the W10 20H2 update even after following ALL troubleshooting steps!!! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am totally unable to install the W10 20H2 feature update. I've been trying now for several weeks and appear to have exhausted all troubleshooting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SporrenBlobthistle, Apr 8, 2021.

1. I can't install the W10 20H2 update even after following ALL troubleshooting steps!!!

I am totally unable to install the W10 20H2 feature update. I've been trying now for several weeks and appear to have exhausted all troubleshooting steps, so now I'm here rather desperately hoping someone might have a solution?

Update error code is the typical 0xc1900101 issue, same as 99% of others who've had this problem.

My current build is:
    Win10 Home ver 1909 build 18363.1440

System spec is:
    GB X99 G1 Gaming Wifi w/ i7-5930K
    32GB DDR400 RAM
    2TB NVMe SSD with 256GB free space
    850w Corsair Gold PSU

Troubleshooting steps taken to date rebooted after each step prior to retrying the update:

- Multiple attempts to install via Windows Update, which installs, reboots the system, attempts to finalize the update and then fails at around 23-29% causing a 2nd reboot and the "Your PC encountered a problem KMODE EXCEPTION NOT FOUND" screen. It then rolls back the changes and boots to OS with no update applied.

- Updated MOBO Bios to latest version, no change update still fails

- Unplugged ALL peripherals except KB+Mouse no change

- Uninstalled Nod32 Antivirus no change

- Disabled Acronis Trueimage "Active Protection" no change

- Disabled all possible Bluetooth onboard devices no change - note I still have a "Bluetooth Bus Enumerator" listed in device manager, which cannot be disabled or changed in any way.

- Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter multiple times it detects the failed update but appears to do absolutely nothing to try and resolve it

- Performed multiple "sfc /scannow" operations, all with no errors found no change

- Performed multiple "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" operations, again no errors found no change

- Performed NET STOP/NET START operations on the following:
    wuauserv
    cryptSvc
    bits
    msiserver
    all no change

- Tried to turn on BIOS Secure Boot for some reason my BIOS won't let me enable this function, so no go

- Attempted to install the update using the Windows Media Creation Tool 20H2 also fails as per above

- Attempted to install the update using the "Windows10Upgrade9525.exe" file still fails

It's important to know that aside from this update, the PC works flawlessly. It gives no other errors, is rock stable, all other updates and apps install and work perfectly. Only 20H2 is an issue.

And its a HUGE issue! Not only to I have to contend with constant interrupts from restart reminders, every single time the update fails it purges the download for it. So I've now had to re-download this 2-4GB update in excess of 20 times on my SSD, which will slowly but surely be killing it's lifespan.

Add to that the fact that Microsoft has forced me to put my PC at high risk by removing all AV protection and performing unnecessary BIOS updates, I'm very upset by the whole thing.

Please help?

:)

SporrenBlobthistle, Apr 8, 2021

2. Vista Pre-SP1 vs. Vista SP1

I've been Windows Updating for two straight days and I finally saw SP1. If you want to troubleshoot it, follow these steps:

• Show hidden updates
    • Manually install any failed updates (google the KB_____ and install from the windows site)
    • Make sure everything in Device Manager is good to go
    I had to do step two for like 4 or 5 updates to be able to see SP1.

Any other benchmarks you guys want to see? I might try PCMark05 (I think it works on Vista).

DanishDevil, Apr 8, 2021
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond I can't install the W10 20H2 update even after following ALL troubleshooting steps!!! :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Apr 8, 2021
  4. I can't install the W10 20H2 update even after following ALL troubleshooting steps!!!

PC Build Steps

all parts should be here by friday...any last advice? I will follow the step lists we created guys...

anandsap123, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

I can't install the W10 20H2 update even after following ALL troubleshooting steps!!!

1. I can't install the W10 20H2 update even after following ALL troubleshooting steps!!! - Similar Threads - can't install W10

2. What are more troubleshooting steps for the following issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are more troubleshooting steps for the following issue?: I have been attempting to download/install a cumulative update for a Windows server 2012 R2 Datacenter. The error is 0x800F0831. Ran DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth - Success DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /CHECKHEALTH - Success DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH...
  3. What are more troubleshooting steps for the following issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What are more troubleshooting steps for the following issue?: I have been attempting to download/install a cumulative update for a Windows server 2012 R2 Datacenter. The error is 0x800F0831. Ran DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth - Success DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /CHECKHEALTH - Success DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH...
  4. Can't login into W10 after installing update...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't login into W10 after installing update...: Hi - am helping my son to post this issue. Wonder anyone can lend a helping hand on this?As a result, he was given a sub user access into the system with no access to his files....
  5. Can't login into W10 after installing update...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't login into W10 after installing update...: Hi - am helping my son to post this issue. Wonder anyone can lend a helping hand on this?As a result, he was given a sub user access into the system with no access to his files....
  6. Impossible to install W10 20H2 Feature update!! Extensive troubleshooting done, help needed!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Impossible to install W10 20H2 Feature update!! Extensive troubleshooting done, help needed!!: I am totally unable to install the W10 20H2 feature update. I've been trying now for several weeks and appear to have exhausted all troubleshooting steps, so now I'm here rather desperately hoping someone might have a solution? Update error code is the typical 0xc1900101...
  7. after installing w10 clean install and updating wifi only onboard then updating w10 to 20h2...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    after installing w10 clean install and updating wifi only onboard then updating w10 to 20h2...: i posted a new topic with the same question as i couldnt reply to DaveM12 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-installing-w10-clean-install-and-updating/1487c3bd-6ffe-4285-888c-d31ade75db54
  8. ALL WINDOWS 10 APPS CRASH AT THE START!!!even after following steps and reseting the pc 4...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ALL WINDOWS 10 APPS CRASH AT THE START!!!even after following steps and reseting the pc 4...: everything isclear https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-windows-10-apps-crash-at-the-starteven-after/f66c2369-f04f-41f5-8a2b-c49df8bcd00e
  9. Cannot re-install Windows 10 - even after following troubleshooter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot re-install Windows 10 - even after following troubleshooter: My laptop has been running slowly for a while - McAfee and Malware Bytes do not turn up anything, so I have decided to re-install Windows to see if that helps, as it has been through a lot of update cycles. I followed this:...
  10. Can't Login - Further Troubleshooting Steps?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Login - Further Troubleshooting Steps?: I installed this week's cumulative update today and all was fine. I then used the TAKEOWN command on the windows.old folder left over from the Anniversary Update I did a while ago to remove one residual file (which is already in the main windows folder). I couldn't delete it...