Windows 10: I can't make a restore point

Discus and support I can't make a restore point in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm trying to make a restore point and keep getting this error. Also, I got a similar error when I tried to make a system image. Any insiht would be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jon Frounfelter, Nov 16, 2023.

1. I can't make a restore point

I'm trying to make a restore point and keep getting this error. Also, I got a similar error when I tried to make a system image. Any insiht would be appreciated greatly. Also I'm running windows 11 23H2.

:)

Jon Frounfelter, Nov 16, 2023
  2. wiganken Win User

Restore points are using more space than is allocated?

Thank you. 1. 'Disk Space Usage' box clearly states "older restore points will be deleted to make room for new ones" but this is not happening. 2. Step 1 should have deleted all restore points but Step 2 suggests that it had found "older restore points". User settings are being ignored by Windows? Maybe a Windows 10 bug? Not a big problem. Just another annoyance. I'll just have to manually delete RPs from time to time I think.

wiganken, Nov 16, 2023
  3. jellyroll Win User
    How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CI can't make a restore point :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CI can't make a restore point :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Nov 16, 2023
  4. Brink Win User

I can't make a restore point

Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10  

Hello ma3ino, I can't make a restore point :)

Please double check using the screenshots under step 11 to verify if the restore point is listed there.

Brink, Nov 16, 2023
Thema:

I can't make a restore point

1. I can't make a restore point - Similar Threads - can't restore point

2. I can'y make a restore point or reinstall Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can'y make a restore point or reinstall Windows: I'm not sure what the problem is but I can't create a restore point or do a reinstall of windows. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cany-make-a-restore-point-or-reinstall-windows/bef112c6-5859-463f-bd41-9bf460ac3643
  3. I can'y make a restore point or reinstall Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can'y make a restore point or reinstall Windows: I'm not sure what the problem is but I can't create a restore point or do a reinstall of windows. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cany-make-a-restore-point-or-reinstall-windows/bef112c6-5859-463f-bd41-9bf460ac3643
  4. I can't make a restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't make a restore point: I'm trying to make a restore point and keep getting this error. Also, I got a similar error when I tried to make a system image. Any insiht would be appreciated greatly. Also I'm running windows 11 23H2....
  5. Make restore points valid to the user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Make restore points valid to the user: When I make a RESTORE POINT, I expect it to be there to be used properly by ME.Not deleted without any forwarning. I want to restore my private pc to my restore point.Then I can have the computer in the same condition as when the restore point was made.Then and only then I...
  6. Make restore points valid to the user

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Make restore points valid to the user: When I make a RESTORE POINT, I expect it to be there to be used properly by ME.Not deleted without any forwarning. I want to restore my private pc to my restore point.Then I can have the computer in the same condition as when the restore point was made.Then and only then I...
  7. Make restore points valid to the user

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. System Restore does not make Restore points anymore and deletes Restore points I make...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Restore does not make Restore points anymore and deletes Restore points I make...: My system Restore folder is empty and "eats" any new Restore points I make and save within a day. A search shows it has been an ongoing problem for Windows Users. Anything new to fix it? I have the latest version of Windows 10 and very good Norton Antivirus running....
  9. Can't restore windows restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't restore windows restore point: So I need to restore my computer to a restore point that is stored in my SSD, but when I try to restore it, I get an error: system restore failed to replace the file C:\progamdata\microsoft\windows\containers\baseimages\ and then some random numbers. I can't figure out...
  10. System Restore not making restore point before updates.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore not making restore point before updates.: So why did Microsoft change this? If I remember correctly all previous versions would create a system restore point before doing Microsoft updates. Since 10 installed all updates that come in for me are downloaded and installed without a restore point. I had one last night...